• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Switch to MVP

Donkey_Kicked

Bogey Member
So lately l have been thinking about SLOWLY switching from Innova to MVP discs(mostly when i lose a disc replace it with an MVP mold). Mostly because i like how MVP feels in my hand. So I was wondering what molds would be similar to certain innova discs. I have Wraiths, Valkyries, Teebirds, Leopards(never throw these), makos, sharks, and aviars. Also what are each of MVP's plastics like? Any help would be great!

Photon/defy/wave = wraith (OS to stable molded up versions)

Inertia = valk
Crave = TB
Relay = Leo (but feels better in hand)
(servo = eagle / volt = PD .. 2 solid molds)
Tangent = mako (or alias maybe?)
Matrix = shark
Anode = Aviar

MVP explains the plastics pretty well on their website. In general there isnt a large stability gap with their blends compared to champ vs star vs baseline etc.

Pretty much safe to pick whatever plastic you like look wise and if you can feel some even better.

Honestly, the Envy is also pretty Shark-like too; I quit throwing Envies because they overlapped with my Roc3s, so I'm fairly confident they'd toytally take over a Shark's slot

I second the Photon=Wraith notion, though it is more comparable to a beefy Wraith. Photons are my main DDs and they are quite workable.

better question... what would you consider to be the best beginner distance driver offered by MVP/axiom? I'm set on my mold type numbers for putt,mid,and fairway driver

^ I'm curious which discs you choose, as I switched from an all Innova bag to an all MVP/Axiom bag a couple of months ago. I found it too difficult to throw a mixed bag. :eek:

better question... what would you consider to be the best beginner distance driver offered by MVP/axiom? I'm set on my mold type numbers for putt,mid,and fairway driver

A lighter weight Insanity is a great distance driver for lower speed (noodle) arms. It's understable, but not as sensitive as the Orbital. I'd go with either the Plasma or Neutron for the extra glide.

Lighter photon/defy (166g ish) or a max wt wave. If you dont mind bigger rims the octane is a great go to slightly OS 13 speed driver that will beat in to be much more workable. Catalyst would be a beat in version.

^ I'm curious which discs you choose, as I switched from an all Innova bag to an all MVP/Axiom bag a couple of months ago. I found it too difficult to throw a mixed bag. :eek:

Currently looking at Envy,Matrix,Axis,Volt, spots still open for a US fd, OS-S DD & S-US DD... not sure on plastics yet I like the softness of my rpro aviars, and I like the way a neutron volt i found feels

Lighter photon/defy (166g ish) or a max wt wave. If you dont mind bigger rims the octane is a great go to slightly OS 13 speed driver that will beat in to be much more workable. Catalyst would be a beat in version.

When I joined the PDGA they sent me a MVP wave, not sure on the weight but it's super light and was scared to throw it, I'm trying to stay away from 13 speed discs since I am a newer player

You need a relay for US fairway. Best MVP mold to come out in a while.

150 class MVPs dont tend to be as US as other brands but i think a heavy wave will work nice for max D. Pretty much a pro wraith after few tree wacks

I need to revisit the Relay vs Leo.
Also I love the Inertia, but I compare it more to an old school beast. I get more distant with it than Valks.

You need a relay for US fairway. Best MVP mold to come out in a while.

150 class MVPs dont tend to be as US as other brands but i think a heavy wave will work nice for max D. Pretty much a pro wraith after few tree wacks

I like the relays flight path... Would the wave be classified as S-US? And is the defy the recommend OS driver? it's numbers seem to indicate it's destroyerish

Beast Dimensions:
Diameter: 21.2 cm
Height: 1.4 cm
Rim Depth: 1.1 cm
Rim Width: 2.0 cm

Valkyrie Dimensions:
Diameter: 21.1 cm
Rim Depth: 1.2 cm
Rim Width: 1.9 cm

Inertia Dimensions:
Diameter: 21.1 cm
Rim Depth: 1.2 cm
Rim Width: 2.0 cm

Makes sense. Pretty much splitting hairs given the different beast/valk stability out in the wild.

I like the relays flight path... Would the wave be classified as S-US? And is the defy the recommend OS driver? it's numbers seem to indicate it's destroyerish

Defy is slower destoryer more like a beefy champ wraith. Wave sits right on that stable to US line. You can do anything from hyzers to straight flips and long annys. Photon (defy is really just a colored rim photon) will be much more HSS.

Defy is slower destoryer more like a beefy champ wraith. Wave sits right on that stable to US line. You can do anything from hyzers to straight flips and long annys. Photon (defy is really just a colored rim photon) will be much more HSS.

I like the inertia cause its just a step faster than my valk, I may step up to a wave in the future... The defy looks like its a step slower than a dominator but it flies like a champ wraith? might fill my OS DD spot

So lately l have been thinking about SLOWLY switching from Innova to MVP discs(mostly when i lose a disc replace it with an MVP mold). Mostly because i like how MVP feels in my hand. So I was wondering what molds would be similar to certain innova discs. I have Wraiths, Valkyries, Teebirds, Leopards(never throw these), makos, sharks, and aviars. Also what are each of MVP's plastics like? Any help would be great!

Neutron and Proton are essentially the same thing. Plasma is very similar but a little softer. Soft Neutron is their softest premium blend. Electron is like pro / dx and comes in regular or soft.

Wraith is similar to the Axiom Wrath or MVP Inertia depending on how seasoned yours is. Wrath will fly like a new Wraith, Inertia will fly like a seasoned Wraith with a little controllable high speed turn.

Valkyries are close to Amps and the Axiom Insanity. Been years since I've thrown one tbh...Amps have the same wing width and IIRC have a fairly similar flight. Insanity is a touch faster but same general flight, tons of glide.

Teebird has no direct counterpart. Volts have the same flight but they're slightly wider rimmed. Axiom Craves will fly like a seasoned Teebird. Lightweight Resistors fly like an OS Teebird. Servo is pretty close overall too, but isn't quite as high speed stable.

Leopard and Inspire compare pretty well. Lower power players will find the Relay easier to throw for turnovers, however.

Mako and Tangent are pretty comparable, both do straight zero fade shots well.

Shark would compare to three MVP / Axiom mids, the Matrix, Axis and Alias. They're all pretty straight, with the Matrix having the most fade and the Alias being the most neutral.

Aviars compare to the Anode. Both have similar shapes and fly very neutral. If you are talking about Big Bead Aviars look at the Ion instead.