• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Tactic

So after a little time with the Tactic I am pretty sure the not so swirly MD5 will be holding down this spot in the bag. Personally I like the tactic for short backhand hyzers but that is about it. I have struggled to find a reliable way to throw the tactic forehand which is 75% of the reason I want a disc of this manner. The not so swirly held it down yesterday during my first tournament of the year and got me a couple birdies on forehands...hard to argue with results.

Did a review of the Exo plastic Tactic's. Both of them made it to my bag. Its quite a harp/zone hybrid. Not quite as shallow as a Zone, but kos as deep as the Harp imo. Feel free to give some feedback!

https://youtu.be/2rYa4uN45vU

Well the stock Tactic dropped yesterday. Who all managed to grab one?

I grabbed a few from OTB. I'm excited to test them out but I really don't think they can kick the pig out of the bag. I've already racked up an ace and 2 throw ins this year with the fresh piggy. 2 pigs in the bag now and they are just greedy little bucket hunters.

I have one of the Tactics from black boxes that came out around Christmas time. In that slick plastic.

If you're a sponsored Discmania player it will probably be a nice addition to your bag. If you aren't sponsored I'd still prefer a Zone or a Pig or a Harp.

Just my opinion.

I received my Tactics today and compared them to my Harps and other Trilogy putter plastics. I would definitely say that EXO Hard is very similar to my BT Hard Harp and Dynamic Classic plastic in my Guards. The EXO Soft plastic is most similar to my Classic Blend Guards, it is definitely stiffer than my BT Soft Harps, but I do not have a BT Medium Harp to compare it to. There may be some slight differences in firmness of the plastics compared to the standard Trilogy plastics, but comparing them to my current stash I would say Hard = DD Classic, and Soft = DD Classic Blend.

I grabbed a few from OTB. I'm excited to test them out but I really don't think they can kick the pig out of the bag. I've already racked up an ace and 2 throw ins this year with the fresh piggy. 2 pigs in the bag now and they are just greedy little bucket hunters.

Played an interesting round at a short open course. Self doubles with CTP winning the hole, no putts. only ran with 3 drivers and the rest were mids, putters, and approach discs.

Got quite a few throws in with the tactic. The Soft and Hard fly exactly the same at all stages of power, both FH and BH. Skip isn't really a factor on either of them, they like to sit down quick.

The Eagle Claw is a little more dumpy but the Exo are just as HSS, no turn, and a distinct lack of glide. I like throwing the Exo ones quite a bit more. The extra grip just gives me way more confidence and they are just as OS and dependable.

I also threw the 1.4 recon mortar, the 1.3 Frontline X mortar, and the 1.5 swirly Frontline Mortar. These are longer, and faster, stability about the same I'd say. Much easier to get them further left/right on line, the extra speed and a touch more glide help a lot. The tactic wants to get down quicker and as a result doesn't fade as far off the line you throw them on.

Lastly I threw 2 pigs, my beat up factory stiff pro and my Ricky tour series pro. The beat up one is really a touch disc now, it can't handle the full power forehands but I'm so dialed in with this disc, if I'm inside 150 feet I have absolute confidence from a standstill throwing this disc. I throw thumbers and pancakes with it to, it's so versatile. the Ricky pig is new and beefy, similar to the tactic in a lot of ways but much slower. They go about the same distance for me but the pig is in the air longer and that extra time gives me more room to work lines with finesse compared to the tactic.

The tactic goes where you throw it, flies dead straight, and it laughs at wind. Very accurate. Feels good both FH and BH. The main issue I have with it is that it's too straight. If you need to really sweep something left/right you going to need the height to throw a spike hyzer. It won't get 40 feet off center and then skip another 20-30 feet. It can't replace the mortar (or gator, MD5, etc) for this shot.

In the same vein, it doesn't really flex out much. Thrown hard and on anhyzer it holds the line for some time and then pans to flat and sits. It's really consistent which is great but it isn't going to work on a big flex S flight line (the Razer Claw is better at these). I do like throwing it BH more than a pig for approaches, but I'm so dialed in at the same distance with P2(s), which are also more versatile.

I think I'll stick to my pigs for FH approaches, short tee shots, and trick FH escapes. The P2 will stay in for BH short drives requiring speed control and BH approaches. The mortar is already course/wind dependent for me, only making the bag when needed but covers different shots than the Tactic so it will stay that way.

The tactic is a great addition to the lineup. I like the base plastic a LOT. Super grippy and a tad chalky. To summarize: a solid driving hybrid and approach disc albeit a bit of a one-trick pony.

The tactic won't make the main bag anytime soon. I'll keep messing with it for fun and I think if I start to struggle with BH drives with the P2 the Tactic will come out of the trunk and find the bag for the upcoming rounds. And probably be swapped back when my form fixes the issue.

I have been using the Exo Soft Tactic and I agree that it is less LSS than the Razor Claw, but they have great HSS, can handle a forehand easily, and do not glide or hyzer out but rather just fall and I mean fall with a little fade.

I have been using the Exo Soft Tactic and I agree that it is less LSS than the Razor Claw, but they have great HSS, can handle a forehand easily, and do not glide or hyzer out but rather just fall and I mean fall with a little fade.

Yeah it's sort of a strange disc. I've never thought to myself, gee I want to throw this real hard but have it go dead straight (I mean it's still a slower disc, you won't be throwing it over 300 feet). I just feel like it's got no touch. The speed and lack of glide make it something you need to throw harder than you want to on shorter approaches. <150 feet feels especially weird.

Now in the stiff wind it might be real special. I'll need a better (or maybe worse) day to test that. I could see it as a P2 replacement in strong wind. Not for putting, just throwing.

Been throwing em for a while now. Actually, for me the one trick pony thing is not a thing at all. It can go flat, slight hyzer, spike hyzer, slight anhyzer with power, more like a stall/flex anhyzer, chip shot, you name it. I hardly ever found myself in a place where I couldnt have made it to the basket on somekind of Tactic shot. Especially a super steep anhyzer forehand flick to flat was a shot that I didnt previously have. I like to throw flick approaches with mids a lot, but this works on even more steep lines.

Solid add to the bag for now. If I am not putting, I am most likely reaching for one.

Been throwing em for a while now. Actually, for me the one trick pony thing is not a thing at all. It can go flat, slight hyzer, spike hyzer, slight anhyzer with power, more like a stall/flex anhyzer, chip shot, you name it. I hardly ever found myself in a place where I couldnt have made it to the basket on somekind of Tactic shot. Especially a super steep anhyzer forehand flick to flat was a shot that I didnt previously have. I like to throw flick approaches with mids a lot, but this works on even more steep lines.

Solid add to the bag for now. If I am not putting, I am most likely reaching for one.

I can see that. What I meant was it wants to go on the line you throw it on and doesn't finish hard. So while you can work lots of lines with it, the disc isn't doing any of the work, you are. it's very easy to throw dead straight. Which is a good thing, it's the highlight of the disc. It's really consistent at this.

It's point and shoot. Faster than a putter, no/low glide, less finish than a Gator like disc.

Mortar, Pig, and P2 all allowed me personally to throw more lines. I'm pretty dialed into these discs so accuracy was not lacking, and they are plenty reliable in wind.

After a significant amount of time with my Tactic in Soft Exo, it is incredibly bent and beat up and not in great shape. How are other Soft Tactics holding up? I've got a year old R-Pro Pig that is in way better shape and that thing has smacked dozens of trees. The Tactic has weird impressions forming in the puddle top close to the rim, like someone pressed their thumb on the flight plate enough to cause a permanent bend.

Not impressed with the durability of the Tactic in Soft, considering a Hard, but concerned that'll just get overly beat up in a short amount of time too.

You should see the BT soft Harp I've been throwing for years. I've nicknamed it the flying taco because it's so beat up and warped. Cosmetics aside, it won't be getting replaced until I can't trust the flight anymore.

Any of the BT type plastics (which is essentially what those Tactics are) is going to look pretty bad pretty quickly.

That Vapor(?) plastic they use on the Razor Claw version will hold up better but it's a slick plastic similar to Tournament plastic.

The hard Tactic ive had for a good while looks pretty rugged but hasnt really affected flight much. Even if it did, I like em a little mellow in any case. Fresh out of the box they are a little one-dimensionally OS for my taste.

Have squared my share of trees close to full power and they really dont seem to dent/warp, which I like.

I swear I could hear in the background of Eagles newest vlog (waco practice round) they are, or are thinking of, retooling the tactic

I thought they were talking about the Tilt, will have to listen again.

e: "I don't throw either"
C: "You don't throw a tactic? Really?"
e: "We're trying to retool it, I think"

Wonder why? It seems near perfect to me. Maybe it has an issue with premium coming out well?

Latest posts