• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

taking away the 2 meter rule

I've said almost the exact same thing to BGC and he'll just retort with some asinine comeback of "OMG YOU DISC GOLFERS ARE AFRAID OF CHANGE"

No, it's because you take any small reference as an effort to make disc golf into ball golf.

I don't think landing in a tree should result in a get out of jail free card. Ball golf has done much of the same, allowing putting with the flag in, allowing players to take distance and 2 strokes for OB. Allowing rangefinders. Allowing grounding of the club in a hazard, removing loose impediments, etc. I think it all serves to take a bunch of the sport out of the sport. Kitty-catized it in my opinion. Don't you all remember when we used to walk 5 miles to school in raging blizzards?

No, it's because you take any small reference as an effort to make disc golf into ball golf.

And yet, most posts you make you attempt to do just that. Make disc golf into golf. Example:

I don't think landing in a tree should result in a get out of jail free card. Ball golf has done much of the same, allowing putting with the flag in, allowing players to take distance and 2 strokes for OB. Allowing rangefinders. Allowing grounding of the club in a hazard, removing loose impediments, etc. I think it all serves to take a bunch of the sport out of the sport. Kitty-catized it in my opinion. Don't you all remember when we used to walk 5 miles to school in raging blizzards?

Wish I was half the man BGC was. :|

I only walked 3/4 mile each way for school.
...and never in the snow. Does oppressive So Fla heat and humidity count for anything?

Last edited:
My trip was downhill both ways.
Pretty sure that's why I grew up wimpy. :(

Being on forums for years, there are two types of internet tuff guys. Some are real, but generally unstable—maybe a bit sociopathic.

Then there is what we have here...

I've always viewed the game as involving playing from a lie on the ground to the next lie on the ground. As we're supposed to avoid throwing the disc out of bounds or into water, we're also supposed to avoid throwing it into trees.

Some years ago, I decided that if I throw it from chest-high, I should be placing the landing chest-high or lower. So, instead of 2m rule, I use a 1.5m rule (and even played using a 1m rule for a few years).

Keep the disc out of the trees.

I always try to avoid throwing discs into trees, for all the inherent disadvantages of doing so. The threat of a random and infrequent penalty doesn't change that. If only my discs had the same aversion.

I'd be ok if it were more like a 3 or 4 meter rule. If a 6 foot player has to get a stick to un-tree a disc than it's OB.

On a tightly wooded course, where only being 3 or so feet off your line could result in a stuck disc, the 2 meter seems punative. On a course that's open or where low lines are available, it makes sense. Trees aren't backboards/pachinko machines.

TDs should exercise the option more often. If you got stuck in a tree at Mulligan's or Glendoveer, a penalty stroke is justified.

2+ meters above playing surface is 2 + meters.

Doesn't matter if you're disc comes to rest in a tree, bush, fence, lands on the head of a tall person, or an anti-gravitational field. If it 2m or more above the playing surface, the 2m rule applies if it's been invoked by the TD

2+ meters above playing surface is 2 + meters.

Doesn't matter if you're disc comes to rest in a tree, bush, fence, lands on the head of a tall person, or an anti-gravitational field. If it 2m or more above the playing surface, the 2m rule applies if it's been invoked by the TD

Instead of sand trap bunkers, we need those fans they use for indoor skydiving.