• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Taking care of your body

mrlizard

Bogey Member
I played some awesome games yesterday, maybe for three or four hours. Wanted to build on that today, got up in excitement, beautiful sunshine, out to the course... and realized that my shoulder was sore and my arm was weak. I played a pathetic short round, gave up and went home. It's frustrating because I was looking forward to work on my form.

Obviously I need some rest, and I hope today will be rest enough so that I can go back tomorrow, but I'm wondering. How do people who play every day do it? Does it just come with routine? Don't you play more than an hour or two a day? Do you have an additional exercise or stretching routine?

I'm new to disc golf, it's my first season, and I'm not exactly an athletic person. I regularly think I should work on my general fitness as well, but when it comes to it, I always rather grab my bag and head out to the course instead.

As with any athletic activity, stretching, proper warm-up, and rest will go a long way for you.

Jumping right in and trying to play for hours a day, every day, you're going to get sore. Cut down the marathon sessions and condition your body better by ramping up how much you play.

I played some awesome games yesterday, maybe for three or four hours. Wanted to build on that today, got up in excitement, beautiful sunshine, out to the course... and realized that my shoulder was sore and my arm was weak. I played a pathetic short round, gave up and went home. It's frustrating because I was looking forward to work on my form.

Obviously I need some rest, and I hope today will be rest enough so that I can go back tomorrow, but I'm wondering. How do people who play every day do it? Does it just come with routine? Don't you play more than an hour or two a day? Do you have an additional exercise or stretching routine?

I'm new to disc golf, it's my first season, and I'm not exactly an athletic person. I regularly think I should work on my general fitness as well, but when it comes to it, I always rather grab my bag and head out to the course instead.

How long have you been playing? I have been playing about 2 1/2 years. My arm gets sore but i play on average 4-6 rounds a week. Mainly because i work and it is dark at 530 and i get off at 430. That will change in the summer when dark is at 8. i will probably do more field work and work on distance.

I'd always rather grab my bag and throw discs than go to a gym and workout with a bunch of other sweaty people! Keep playing, people who regularly work out don't stop when it hurts. Vitamin I helps sore joints and tendon swelling.

It gets easier and you'll build up strength just from routinely throwing. There are a ton of vids on workouts that Pro Dger's do, GooGle it!

How long have you been playing? I have been playing about 2 1/2 years. My arm gets sore but i play on average 4-6 rounds a week. Mainly because i work and it is dark at 530 and i get off at 430. That will change in the summer when dark is at 8. i will probably do more field work and work on distance.

I started playing late in the summer, so it's still my first season, but got addicted right away. I mostly work nights, so I can play during the day, except when it's pouring rain. Usually I head out about three times a week, I'd just love to be able to play more.

As your form improves, it will take some of the stresses off your arm/shoulder, and you won't have that much soreness the next day. During the summer, I play 5 of 7 days a week. My first season (2012), I got that same soreness, but this year I barely ever had it, unless I was out in the field for a couple hours working on stuff.

I started playing late in the summer, so it's still my first season, but got addicted right away. I mostly work nights, so I can play during the day, except when it's pouring rain. Usually I head out about three times a week, I'd just love to be able to play more.

That is awsome you can play during the day. I look forward to that day i can work maybe second shift then go in the morning every morning. With time your arm will become stronger. :clap::clap:

I'm 51 and a bit of a health nut. Half of my diet is raw, organic produce and the other half is mostly meat. I stretch most every night and walk at least 30 minutes a day. I play 4-7 rounds a week. I can play all-out for 14 hours but if I plan on continuing the next day, I have to resort to a muscle recovery shake.

Shaklee makes an awesome one in bananna flavor. I usually add a raw bananna or two but if you take it at night, you will wake up a new man. Also, if playing in heat, keep your vitamin C up.

When I use to play everyday I had some of the same soreness issues. I attributed it to how I was playing. I would rapid fire 5 drives off the tee pad sometimes on every hole. This lead me to hurting my back and other things. I eventually just learned to calmly throw one drive and walk/take my time. My body still would sometimes get sore but not enough to walk off the course.

That is awsome you can play during the day. I look forward to that day i can work maybe second shift then go in the morning every morning. With time your arm will become stronger. :clap::clap:

Yea, it's fun! The only downside is that I have to work weekend mornings, so no tournaments for me. Oh well, maybe when I'm a bit better my schedule will change.

Shaklee makes an awesome one in bananna flavor. I usually add a raw bananna or two but if you take it at night, you will wake up a new man. Also, if playing in heat, keep your vitamin C up.

You bring up a good point. It probably didn't help that yesterday right after playing for hours I went straight to work, which is physically demanding, and then didn't get enough sleep either.

As your form improves, it will take some of the stresses off your arm/shoulder, and you won't have that much soreness the next day. During the summer, I play 5 of 7 days a week. My first season (2012), I got that same soreness, but this year I barely ever had it, unless I was out in the field for a couple hours working on stuff.

That's promising. I've been working a lot on my form during the last two-three months and have seen already immense improvements. One of our local courses is 12 hole, in the summer I regularly played it +17, two or three months ago +10, and last week +4. My goal is to get under par this year.

:clap:

Keep playing, people who regularly work out don't stop when it hurts. Vitamin I helps sore joints and tendon swelling.

This is not good advice. It's okay to play through some soreness, but this is much different than playing through sharp pain. Do not make a bad situation worse by failing to check your ego.

People have brought up some good points. When your form improves, it helps a lot. I play several days a week with up to 3 rounds per day depending on the day. When I first started my arm was sore after 18 holes. Awhile back my arm would get sore after about 18-27 holes in a day. When my form started improving I could play many more holes. 3 rounds is the most I have played in a day more or less due to time constraints. Also working up to multiple rounds in a day slowly helps a lot too. Minimizing the amount of drives per hole also helps.

This is not good advice. It's okay to play through some soreness, but this is much different than playing through sharp pain. Do not make a bad situation worse by failing to check your ego.

I agree with redwrath. Playing through a bit of soreness might be ok, but don't push it. Pain is your body saying something isn't quite right. I had a buddy, who was complaining of pain last week while playing several rounds in a row and several days in a row. I told him he needs to take a few days off. He didn't. Now he wont be able to play for a few weeks because the pain got worse. It is always better to take a day or two off than try to push through it then more time off because you didn't listen to your body. With that said, only you know your body like you. Listen to what it tells you.

Proper form will help. When I started I was always a little sore after playing, and I was in much better shape than I am now. Now I could throw all day everyday and it wouldn't be my arm or shoulder that would be sore ;).

I have experimented lately with left handed throwing, and after just a couple of throws that way, I feel the same soreness because my form is so far off when throwing with that hand.

PS. I work 3rd shift too, hence why I am online right now

Last edited:
I'm 38 and I can throw 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, fieldwork in some capacity and not have any issues. The #1 thing is really warming up my body. Jog for 5 minutes, enough to get a sweat going. Do a few sets of jumping jacks, do some windmills. Then I throw approach shots 100' nice and gentle for 10 minutes, jogging to pickup discs.

When I don't warm up - I can bank on soreness, a stiff neck and back trouble . If I warm up, I have zero issues.

Nothing is worse than trying to climb out of the car after being sedentary all day at the office and then trying to rip a drive. I learned the hard way.

...It's okay to play through some soreness...

isn't that was what I was suggesting???

ever hear the saying, No pain, No gain?

you can play through a little soreness and Ibuprofen can help eliminate soreness and swelling if used properly. Not that you should continue to throw if you suspect you have an injury...

sounds like you need to test your limits a bit more. try rollerblading off your roof or ride your skateboard down the biggest hill in your town or nearest city. you can alwayss disconnect the brakes on your bike and race trains at dark. sh*t just wear a leather jacket and cuss. quit bein a lump and start kickin the can :thmbup::thmbup: