• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Taking care of your body

My 51st birthday is approaching. I still don't stretch and I typically play through the pain. I feel that i'm in pretty good shape after I dropped the last 60 pounds. I do some light workouts while watching tv and on the XBox One fitness(achievements yes). My main thing is eating right and no drugs or alcohol. I also take vitamins daily and it seems that my body recovers quickly.

I'm 50 and while my mind wants to play at 100% every day, my body says otherwise. So while I do walk 18 holes every day, I play at 100% power probably only 2-3 times a week. Problem is, the game is so fun it's hard to hold back. lol... And yep...plenty of water, no drugs, alcohol, etc. Plenty of vitamins including mega doses of vitamin C. Weight lifting 3 times a week. Cardio every day.

I'm new to disc golf, it's my first season, and I'm not exactly an athletic person. I regularly think I should work on my general fitness as well, but when it comes to it, I always rather grab my bag and head out to the course instead.
This is your issue. Crosstraining/participating in other athletic activities is one of the reasons I believe I've had less soreness across the board in the last couple years. I've gone from golf being my main physical activity (I know, I know...) to getting back into disc golf (and being seriously sore if I played more than 10 rounds a week), playing softball in the summers, and finding a hockey team to play for Fall through Spring. I still toss in the occasional 18 hole round at the golf course as well, and as a side benefit I'm driving the ball farther and with more accuracy there. Like I mentioned, my shoulder was pretty shot the first few times I played disc again, so I had to give up on being the guy with the 300' thumber and learn a backhand. Now that I'm more active my shoulder is strong enough to bomb those thumbers again, and I can play 27-36 holes a day with no issues.

So long story short either get in the gym or find something other than disc to give you a break from the repetitive motions of disc golf. Even if it's just getting out there and grabbing a weighted baseball and playing catch with a friend, it's better than nothing

If you really enjoy this game, getting more into shape for the name of the sport might keep you motivated. Spending time doing stretching, exercising, and stuff will boost your game performance, make you feel less tired after a round, less sore after a day, and so on. Don't rush in and play for hours on end. If you really want to start getting in, just start at your own pace. Keep it slow, steady, consistent, and eventually you will be doing well. Rest when you need and cool down when needed. Want to play longer after round? practice putting or maybe practice your form in a slower motion to get a feel and understanding of your mechanics and how things flow. Just remember you gotta have some fun doing it. Fun always helps.

On average I play DG 4 times a week. I also ride my bike 2 times a week and do yoga. At 42, i do have some soreness from time to time. What I have found that really helps is a 15-20 minute stretching routine before throwing a disc. Then some practice putting, followed by some warm up drives. This helps loosen the body and help prevent injury. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!

Warm-up and stretching are important, but also diet as well. Just like any physical activity try to eat a healthy food after it to allow for proper muscle recovery as well.

Here you go :D

I think warming up and stretching is important before a round, even if it's just a little bit. I would like to really get into the gym and start exercising, though. For your health!

I'm 53 and am fortunate to have a very physical job (I drive a steel truck). I've been in shape for a long time and I can play disc golf all day, every day.

The key is to stay off of your backside while you're awake. It's that simple. Stay active and stay alive.

If you're hurting, do something active that doesn't hurt until you can go back to playing again. Rest only prolongs your transformation to being and endurance player. Legs and core are the key. Learn to throw in a manner that takes stress off of the arm. Think of your arm as a whip that stays loose and snaps at release. That will go a long way to being able to play day after day.

Good luck.

Oh yeah. Stretch before you play. Or do anything else physical.

Last edited:
I stay in good shape partly due to my job being fast paced and very physically demanding. I don't go to the gym because i also have an at home routine that consists of core work and various styles of push ups. I'm a big fan of Yoga, Pilates and stretching. I throw a pretty even mix of BH and FH and am profecient at both thanks in part to staying in good physical health. Treating your body right is very important and shouldn't be ignored. I want to be able to play DG for many more years.

I played some awesome games yesterday, maybe for three or four hours. Wanted to build on that today, got up in excitement, beautiful sunshine, out to the course... and realized that my shoulder was sore and my arm was weak. I played a pathetic short round, gave up and went home. It's frustrating because I was looking forward to work on my form.

Obviously I need some rest, and I hope today will be rest enough so that I can go back tomorrow, but I'm wondering. How do people who play every day do it? Does it just come with routine? Don't you play more than an hour or two a day? Do you have an additional exercise or stretching routine?

I'm new to disc golf, it's my first season, and I'm not exactly an athletic person. I regularly think I should work on my general fitness as well, but when it comes to it, I always rather grab my bag and head out to the course instead.

I take a minimum of 20 minutes to warm up. This includes a dynamic warm up, practice throws into the grass (I have a beat up disc for this and increase my power slowly), and torso/arm stretches.

During the winter months I lift and run six days a week to increase my muscle stamina and strength. I only continue this routine 2-3 times a week during the spring/summer/fall since I am out playing six days a week. I have seen a drastic improvement in my stamina since I started this 2 years ago. I can send my plan to anyone if interested.

Like any sport rest and recovery is important. I like to take one day off each week to not play or workout. You will be sore at first playing everyday, but your body will get used to it. Make sure to constantly focus on your technique. When people get tired they tend to get lazy and let unnatural movements sneak into their throws, this will cause you to be sore. Like any sport if you are sore be sure to ice and heat as this will speed up your recovery time.

Good luck out there!

... and realized that my shoulder was sore and my arm was weak. I played a pathetic short round, gave up and went home. It's frustrating because I was looking forward to work on my form.

As your form improves, your arm becomes less strained as other parts of your body take over. Currently, I feel soreness from disc golfing (especially long driving) in my stomach, inner thighs, and opposite of throwing arm pec. Also be prepared for chaffing on different parts of your hands/fingers before they callous up.

It's a slow evolutionary process that you just need to be patient with.