• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tall baskets?!

I don't mind if they are up on a "natural" feature like a large rock or a stump. Or even on a man-made hill. But baskets stuck up on a tall post don't make much sense to me, and more than one or two elevated baskets per course starts to feel gimmicky.

what he said

Only when done in a lazy manner with a long center pole. Uniquely mounted baskets are great not gimmicky at all.

Totally agree, built up on say a pyramid type structure for example is a nice touch

Attachments

• 437a2d23.jpg
    437a2d23.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 59
Gimmick. Hate them.

Why not just put a clown mouth in front of the basket to shoot through?

I agree, they're usually a stupid, clown-mouthy gimmick, but I won't go as far as hate. It depends on how they're set up. For example, I don't have a problem with the "Wise old tree of disc golf" basket at Flyboy, largely because it's artistic, but a basket mounted way up high on an extra-super tall pole is just stupid-looking.

IMO, the only thing worse than an elevated basket is an elevated hanging basket. :thmbdown:

Here's one I don't particularly like. The pic makes it look easier than it is.
34o7cet.jpg

Here's one I don't particularly like. The pic makes it look easier than it is.

Actually that looks extremely difficult. I bet roll-aways are a big pain there. It's also really ugly, and they'll probably never get anything to grow on the "terraces" that were so professionally crafted. :|

Actually that looks extremely difficult. I bet roll-aways are a big pain there. It's also really ugly, and they'll probably never get anything to grow on the "terraces" that were so professionally crafted. :|

Meh... they should just be happy to have most likely volunteers to help build it. It might not be the best looking.... but I bet if they have something like that being built that the rest of the course is probably well taken care of.

Meh, I guess I've never played a course with more than 2 or 3 so I've never worried about it too much. Diamond X has one posted 15' up on the side of a cliff and I don't think I've ever heard any complaints about that one. I've seen some 8's, 9's, 10's and "I quits" during tournaments, but no actual complaints about the pin placement. To be fair, you can land on the cliff and its a standard putt(with a 15' cliff behind the basket regardless of where on the cliff you land).

To me fun courses are about variety so as long as the pin placements aren't repetitive and can add some unique challenge or risk/reward aspect, I'm fine with them. If every putt on a course is from a nice flat green with a 3.5' high basket that just doesn't sound like the most fun to me.

Meh... they should just be happy to have most likely volunteers to help build it. It might not be the best looking.... but I bet if they have something like that being built that the rest of the course is probably well taken care of.

That is certainly true. Here's two more ridiculous baskets in the same park.
vh58ph.jpg

178f0h.jpg

2w6ytyp.jpg

I don't mind if they are up on a "natural" feature like a large rock or a stump. Or even on a man-made hill. But baskets stuck up on a tall post don't make much sense to me, and more than one or two elevated baskets per course starts to feel gimmicky.

This is where I stand on it. I love elevated or depressed baskets as long as it's natural, or natural looking. It adds an element of change and challenge to the game that I think is needed. I appreciate the point of view of the folks who think these are gimmicky, but I tend to think putting is already too easy in disc golf, so the extra challenge is welcome as long as it's not overdone or absurd like a pin on a 10' pole or something.

I tend to look at how boring traditional golf would be if every green was flat, which is what placing every basket at a standard height would be like. Granted, the wind has a stronger affect on our putting than traditional golf, but the wind isn't always blowing.

Regardless, these seem to be popular features on courses, and I'd guess they're here to stay. The important thing to remember is that we all have to play the same course, so you can either practice these kinds of shots and take advantage when they come up, or grumble about them and get taken advantage of. The choice is yours.

An elevated basket on a mound, pyramid, or similar structure is different from one on a tall pole, or hanging.

In the former case, you can make a risk vs. reward decision of running for it, or laying up---the layup taking some skill and touch to stay on the elevated surface. The latter can put a disc close to the basket as a disadvantage, and pretty much force you to run at it until you hit it.

From the PDGA Course Design Guidelines:
"Manufacturers are required to produce targets so the height of the basket rim above the playing surface will be 82 cm +/- 6 cm. Targets should be installed level with the ground below them even though course developers may install some targets where the height falls outside the 76-88 cm manufacturing range. The PDGA Course Committee suggests that no more than 6 targets out of 18 be installed outside the manufactured height range with just 2 or 3 being preferred. Targets suspended from above can be fun for recreational play but there should be a way to secure it from swinging freely during sanctioned play."

The hanging one seems stupid to me because of the effort put forth to then just have a basket at the same height as it would be on a pole.

I think we should be required to force the spring one to wobble before putting lol