• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tall baskets?!

Uggggh. Elevated baskets

I have made my thoughts clear on the podcast one night. I hate them. Hate almost all of them. If I can't lay up and drop in, then they are garbage.

Putting them on a mound or hill... great. I can lay up to a mound if I choose. But, putting them up on a structure that even if I lay up to within 5 feet of a basket, and I still have to worry about some fluke wind pushing my putter out because I need to throw it in at a ridiculous angle... Garbage.

I had the pleasure of playing with Cam Todd (1st round) at our event this weekend in Manitowoc. There is the "light house" hole. I watched him lay up to 8 feet. And then be went to toss a putt up and it literally spit directly back in his face because he was almost TOO close. I am fortunate to be 6'-6" and most of the time can just "dunk" them. Not everyone graced with that. You shouldn't be punished for getting TOO close to a basket. Sorry everyone who is 5-8 and shorter, you got too close.

These holes are fine for casual play and can be very fun. They should NOT be used in sanctioned events.

A good rule of thumb is if you need a ladder or stairs to retrieve your disc, then the target is probably not good.

Cool man made elevated basket-
82407060.jpg

Lame man made elevated basket-
df548e28.jpg

If you're going to put in an elevated basket it should be made so you can easily lay-up for a drop in putt.

Although the structure looks a little lame, I am going to defend the elevated basket in the 2nd picture. This hole is is a long downhill bomber from both the white and the gold tee. It has a swamp/wetlands that runs the left of the fairway. The hole does a minor dog leg left and the swamp grass creeps out into the fairway. During the heat of summer the swamp reeds are +10ft high and completely cover the elevated basket from the tee pad. The combination of the elevated pin and the flag allow players to see the pin location from both tee pads. It also helps you gauge the pin location if you happen to shank one into the swamp grass. So the elevated basket makes putting harder, but it also gives players an advantage when working down the fairway. It makes a ton of sense on this hole and a nice challenge on the putting green.

Picture for reference on previous post. This about the shortest you will see the swamp grass besides early spring and winter.

Furthermore, the Park District that owns the land doesn't want the disc golfers working on the course. So us locals cannot go out there and make it look more natural. The current solution, while maybe not the most beautiful elevated pin, functions extremely well on the hole.

Attachments

• Fairfield 4.jpg
    Fairfield 4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 21
6ec7d348.jpg

Old Farm Park in Grand Rapids, MI - Hole 10 - Only slightly elevated, but, tipped away from the uphill teepad. Turns out to be a real pain in the neck. 350' hole with around 12'-15' elevation to a slightly raised basket tipped backwards... Always gets in my head.

For such a short course, this hole and woods are really the only challenge. It's mostly a mid/putter course, but, for some reason, I can never quite reach this stupid uphill basket... Can't get out of my own mind.

Although the structure looks a little lame, I am going to defend the elevated basket in the 2nd picture. This hole is is a long downhill bomber from both the white and the gold tee. It has a swamp/wetlands that runs the left of the fairway. The hole does a minor dog leg left and the swamp grass creeps out into the fairway. During the heat of summer the swamp reeds are +10ft high and completely cover the elevated basket from the tee pad. The combination of the elevated pin and the flag allow players to see the pin location from both tee pads. It also helps you gauge the pin location if you happen to shank one into the swamp grass. So the elevated basket makes putting harder, but it also gives players an advantage when working down the fairway. It makes a ton of sense on this hole and a nice challenge on the putting green.
I agree that the basket looks odd strictly elevated on the pylon. I had expected the pylon to be covered with a rounded dirt mound. The Park Dept was so busy getting other things ready, I didn't want to press them to do that. I'm hoping it can be covered at some point.

I agree that the basket looks odd strictly elevated on the pylon. I had expected the pylon to be covered with a rounded dirt mound. The Park Dept was so busy getting other things ready, I didn't want to press them to do that. I'm hoping it can be covered at some point.

The work that you and the park district has put into that course is astounding. Its my home course and I get to enjoy it several times a week, so thank you. I also agree its tough to press this issue when they are continuing the maintenance and the upkeep. The "lame" comment was a little harsh. I truly believe that in this specific situation, function should follow form. Even if the park district never gets around to making the elevated basket more aesthetically please, elevating it was a brilliant design decision.

The work that you and the park district has put into that course is astounding. Its my home course and I get to enjoy it several times a week, so thank you. I also agree its tough to press this issue when they are continuing the maintenance and the upkeep. The "lame" comment was a little harsh. I truly believe that in this specific situation, function should follow form. Even if the park district never gets around to making the elevated basket more aesthetically please, elevating it was a brilliant design decision.

Could you not just build a stone wall around it or something else simple?

Could you not just build a stone wall around it or something else simple?

The park district has asked us not to do any work on the course. They want all coursework and maintenance to be controlled and executed by park district employees. Its their land and I think playing by their rules will keep everyone on good terms. Hopefully over time they will trust certain individuals to lead some coursework projects with volunteers involved. The course is amazing and they maintain and it very well. They mow fairways frequently, empty the trash cans, put wood chips down on soggy areas, etc.. Having an elevated pin that isn't as pretty as it could be is hardly something to complain about in my opinion.

That sounds like the perfect setup to me. Free course without needing to do any of the heavy lifting!

Here's a basket that that sits 10' above ground in a lighthouse. When you sink a putt the disc falls through the basket onto a floor just below the windows where you can reach in to grab it. It's a par 2 hole with a distance of less than 100', so when you throw you have to make a decision; either go for the ace and risk a really long putt for par or lay up and take your 2. I'm not a fan of elevated baskets, but on this short course it's fun, especially at night. The basket and inside of the lighthouse are lit up with solar lights making it a fun hole to throw during night golf.

1c7ca1525e42d53f1c6f61a705c98662_zps66958bcc.jpg

I'm all for tall baskets, as long as they don't create an unnecessary safety concern. Anything that makes a hole unique--forces you to look at things differently and make a golf decision--is OK in my book.

A Diamond X in Billings MT, hole 9 Green is bolted into the side of a 15-20' high cliff. You can be literally directly underneath the pin. Imagine trying to lay up in that situation! Very cool pin location and it's definitely a signature hole because of that. Of course, a 20' cliff drop is kind of a safety concern, but the basket location didn't create that hazard--it just uses it. (Also, if you don't want to be around tall cliffs, you should avoid Diamond X in general!)

There is also a "tall pole" type of basket on hole 11 Black, but I don't think it was intentional. It's only a foot or two taller than a standard target. They had to drill straight down into rock to place that socket; I think they got about halfway down and said F-it.