• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$$$ $tart up costs...........

ShortBusDiscGolf

Par Member
aside from the cost of land and baskets, what does it cost to build a course. more specificly, what does it cost for.........
1)teepads (18 of them needed, maybe even 36)
2)signage
3)benches for every hole
4)trash AND recycling containers at every hole
5) miscelaneious extras.............

i need to get all of this info. together because my town wants a disc golf wish list to add to a grant proposal. thanks a ton for all feedback!!!!!!!!!!

I am a firm believer that $1,000/hole will be a safe starting point. There are many variables that can significantly change the cost of the course install both plus and minus. The second largest cost aside of purchasing the baskets will be Labor.

Manufactured park benches will run $200+/ea.
Trash Cans- $150+/ea
Tee Pads- $0-300/ea
Signage- Under $1,000
Message center/Kiosk- $400
IMO these are safe numbers to work with. You never want to under estimate the cost of the project. Its always much easier to spend money than it is to ask for more. Remember that if outside labor is required, it will significantly increase the coverall cost especially if any heavy equipment is involved.

There are a few threads about this - if you search around you can get an idea. The short is answer is that it depends greatly on your area and the availability of supplies. It also depends greatly on what materials you are using.

Teepads for example: You want to just spread gravel, get some Fly18 rubber pads, or make concrete slabs? With signage - do want simple wooden 4x4's in concrete, or do you want some high class Houck designed signs? Benchs - are you making your own, wood/concrete, etc... There are so many variables that it's hard to narrow down cost. If you take out baskets from the cost equation - it'll can cost you anywhere from 50$ - 750$ for all of the additional items. 50$ basically to have natural tees and a wood 4x4 with some concrete, then a couple of cans for the course. Then, it just goes up from there.

Good luck!

Each of these may vary dependant on size, quality, etc.

Don't forget to add labor. Even if the town has staff that will build the teepads and install the baskets, they'll presumably want to add that to the grant.

aside from the cost of land and baskets, what does it cost to build a course. more specificly, what does it cost for.........
1)teepads (18 of them needed, maybe even 36)
2)signage
3)benches for every hole
4)trash AND recycling containers at every hole
5) miscelaneious extras.............
The numbers on all of these can vary wildly depending on how rudimentary or posh you want to make your course, and whether you will have professional or volunteer labor to install all of the above. Just some suggestions...

1). teepads. Multiple pads are nice if you can afford them. Do realize that not every hole has the same teepad need. Uphill holes probably need a longer pad than others. Downhill holes may need to have a retaining wall built a few feet in front to prevent erosion. Less dynamic holes may be able to get by with only one pad.
2). signage. As I stated in the signage thread, go for durable but inexpensive to maintain. Deluxe signs may be neat, but in time elements or vandals will get to them. You may want to consider a course bulletin board with a map as a cheaper alternative.
3). Benches. - I've seen deluxe metal ones and things as simple as a 2" x 8" nailed into some poles. Go with what your budget will allow. If you don't have the money right away, this can be added later.
4). Trash cans - Not really needed on every hole. Every 2-3 holes will be fine. If the city picks up the park trash by garbage truck, they are best in locations the truck can reach (namely by a road). I like the idea of recycling containers, but most people are too damned lazy to care. Putting separate containers for each in a public park is asking for trouble. There will be recyclables in the trash container and vice versa.
5). Aside from the bulletin board aforementioned and maybe 4" x 4" post with hooks to hang bags, I can't think of any.

Wish I could give you a numerical quote for all this, but the variables are just so darned variable. Nonetheless, I think you can install a very deluxe course for under $20K.

1) Each teepad will take 1 yrd of concrete (if your doing concrete) @ about $95/ yd + labor (depending on how many you do in a day, a good finisher,can do at least 9 teepads that are already framed in a day, with tools gets about $200/ day + a few guys helping him pour and clean up)
2) Signage can be made by hand with wood and/ or metal. I think the Innova site has some as part of their course packages as well as the Mach site
3) Home depot has benches @ about $80 a peice, or you can build them from wood yourself for about $25 each
4) Most park and recs have trash container available for free if you make them accessible to them to empty

If its a heavily wooded area, use some of the trees you are going to clear anyways to make log benches, especially if you have volunteers who are moderately skilled in the use of a chainsaw (here in WI we have no shortage or those :) ). Then, the cost for benches is $0, and it looks pretty cool and natural as well. Several courses around here have done that with great results (UW-Parkside, Justin Trails)

scarpfish, good call on the differing needs of tees. Theres nothing worse than a downhill hole eroding into a steep dropoff of the front of the teebox. Dangerous for ankles, too.

concrete teepads are what we are looking for.......

What you need to do it call a local concrete supplier and find out how much concrete is when they deliver. Figure you'll need around a yard per tee box. Then, if you have the help and expertise, you can dig the holes and form it in. You can even do it in two deliveries depending on how many you think you can pour at once - remember that a race against the clock, and the company with have a minimum to deliver and the price will get cheaper with the more delivered.

You'll also need to factor in 200-300$ for rebar (per 9 holes), because in that climate you'll have to install rebar for stability. Call a local suppler for that too, because they can easily run prices if you can give them a size. The other part is help - if you and many of your buddies can do this is would be a lot cheaper than having someone do it for you. We're talking hundreds cheaper per hole, so it is worth it to learn or recruit some friends who knows how to do this. It's easy to learn, just backbreaking and time consuming to do.

The norm truck time is about 3min./yd. If you get less than a 1/2 a truck there is usually a small truck delivery fee of about $100-125. Im assuming that the cement truck will not be able to drive up to all the tees? The trucks are over 60,000# and wont drive on bike trails, sidewalks, etc. You will need to wheelbarrow all of the cement? Figure on 6 wheelbarrows per yard of concrete. Make sure you order 10% more than what you calculate for volume. This will cover accidental spillage which will happen. The cement mixture(slump) is only guaranteed for 30min. after the truck arrives.

Plus, usually Ive heard its a good idea to wait up to a yr before putting concrete into teeboxes, so you can still tweak tees to find the best spot. After all, baskets are alot easier to move into a new sleeve than to repour a concrete tee. However, no reason you should explain this up front, just include the cost of the concrete in the proposal and make it the last thing that goes in, after there's been lots of rounds logged at the course.

Measure twice, cut once. Tee location is something too important to rush, since you probably only get one chance to pour it, and it takes time and work to break up pads and relocate them (ask the ppl at UW-Parkside, they had to do this to at least 6 holes in the last yr, with dual tees on each, and I'm sure it was not easy)