• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Taut and Loose

GoGekko22

I feel like I've had a small ah-ha moment with my backhand arm action lately and wanted to see if others agree with my conclusion. I've heard the ball-on-a-string analogy and I've tried to incorporate that into my throw.

The part I've struggled with seems to relate to shoulder timing. Sometimes my shoulders are coming through too quickly and it feels like I'm pulling from the peak reach back. Other times it feels like I can't stay closed with slow shoulders and my arm gets out in front.

What I've recently tried is almost like catching the disc when it's coming into my body from the reach back. It's takes good timing with the shoulders and it almost feels like I'm resisting the disc coming in too close to me. It builds a feeling of tension in the arm that makes it easier to unwind the arm in the slinging out motion. I feel more in control of the disc weight throughout the throw and my arm feels more taut and connected to my body.

Does this sound on the right track? With some very slow x-steps and what felt like minimal effort compared to my usual throw, I was getting putters out to 250ft. Some even further with better nose angle.

I feel like I've had a small ah-ha moment with my backhand arm action lately and wanted to see if others agree with my conclusion. I've heard the ball-on-a-string analogy and I've tried to incorporate that into my throw.

The part I've struggled with seems to relate to shoulder timing. Sometimes my shoulders are coming through too quickly and it feels like I'm pulling from the peak reach back. Other times it feels like I can't stay closed with slow shoulders and my arm gets out in front.

What I've recently tried is almost like catching the disc when it's coming into my body from the reach back. It's takes good timing with the shoulders and it almost feels like I'm resisting the disc coming in too close to me. It builds a feeling of tension in the arm that makes it easier to unwind the arm in the slinging out motion. I feel more in control of the disc weight throughout the throw and my arm feels more taut and connected to my body.

Does this sound on the right track? With some very slow x-steps and what felt like minimal effort compared to my usual throw, I was getting putters out to 250ft. Some even further with better nose angle.

Sounds legit to me. If I understand you, and the other thread, correctly - this is discussed a lot in the "Free Floating Arm" thread.

Sounds legit to me. If I understand you, and the other thread, correctly - this is discussed a lot in the "Free Floating Arm" thread.

Yes! The part that is new to me is catching the momentum of the disc coming into the power pocket and redirecting it into the swing. It feels like my wrist is being properly loaded and unloaded, whereas before I mostly blew through that part of the swing.

Yes! The part that is new to me is catching the momentum of the disc coming into the power pocket and redirecting it into the swing. It feels like my wrist is being properly loaded and unloaded, whereas before I mostly blew through that part of the swing.

I understand what ya mean! Learning how slow the swing is until the hit is very counter-intuitive, or at least it was for me.

I understand what ya mean! Learning how slow the swing is until the hit is very counter-intuitive, or at least it was for me.

From observation and my experience, this is on point.

See a lot of people asking for form guidance getting up to speed but not accelerating through the throw.

Definitely something I'm working on.

Latest posts