• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TB going right, not fading back. Is it my disc or form?

Carl311

Hey all.

So I have a 165 DX Teebird. I like it a lot and have gotten my longest drives ever with it. I drive mainly LHFH (same flight pattern as RHBH).

Lately this disc has been going right and not fading back, and when it sometimes does fade, it doesnt fade very hard. To get it to go straight or at least fade well, I have to throw it with the outside wing pointing down (hyzer?). It still flies out to the right a bit, but it comes back fine and is on target. (Is this called a hyzer flip?)

Is this right turning/non-fading caused because of bad form/OAT or because of the disc's lighter weight and wear? I've hit tons of trees/parking lots and its getting pretty beat up with lots of wear on the rim. On the other hand, I have been improving my FH throw greatly over the past few weeks, and am getting more and more D, while still (relatively) maintaining accuracy.

Is it my form or the disc? Im hoping for:
A - some advice on how to remedy the situation and work on better throwing form OR
B - an excuse to get a new champ or star TB.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Could be that the disc has beat in so understable that it is fading right. It would be off axis torque aka OAT as well. How far are you throwing? Golf D not max D. Also, how far do you throw other discs

I would guess that it is a combination of everything.

Unless you are really good at throwing forehand shots, they seem to consistently get more oat on them from a number of different players I have watched throw them including at least one Pro.

DX plastic is junk for the most part and is really only there for putters, new people who do not want to spend a lot of money on discs yet, and for getting a good turnover disc quickly. I have a DX Destroyer. It was overstable at first as one might expect but after only a couple of weeks of playing consistently with it, it got really flippy. It is now my best roller disc and mega anhyzer disc.

To get it to go straight or at least fade well, I have to throw it with the outside wing pointing down (hyzer?). It still flies out to the right a bit, but it comes back fine and is on target. (Is this called a hyzer flip?)
You just described why beat DX Teebirds are so awesome. You won't find another disc that will fly as far and as straight when thrown that way. Definitly keep it around for that and compare the distance and control you get with throwing it that way to faster distance drivers.

That being said, DX Teebirds are not known for being good at coming out of a turn. If you get one turned over a bit too far you shouldn't expect it to come back. That's why it's so common for pepole to supplement them with Eagles, Gazelles, TL's, XL's or Cyclones.

+1 to pretty much everything before me. At that weight, and in that type plastic, if that teebird starts down the anhyzer road, it's going to keep going down it. You can try to throw more of a hyzer flip with the disc, or up the weight, or change plastic types. All those will increase stability.

get one with a higher weight, and try a champion plastic. It is more stable and can handle more power as well as it won't break in so fast and become more understable.

or Star if you don't like Champ. Either one will be awesome, especially if you beat it in. And make sure to get a heavier disc this time. Heavier discs take longer to beat in, but once they are at their sweet spot, they stay there much, much longer.

Thanks for the replies so far. Im going to be drilling a lot in the field with putters and mids to fix my OAT this week.

I think Ill look into a champ or star TB. I really like the mold and want to get one that will last a while.

So, what weight should I be looking at? I have a really weenie arm and am only throwing about 300' or so, if that info helps...

I prefer Champ or Star TBs in the 165-170g range. I was amazed how fast my DX TBs would get flippy even at max weight. They do hold a nice long annie though.

I believe the bold areas below from your original post contain the answer. My guess is the main reason is the addition speed and distance. As you throw harder you can expect to start turning over plastic that used to fly straight or hyzer for you. You might have form/OAT issues or it could be as simple as dropping the outside edge for a little more hyzer or throw something a notch or two more overstable. Try a Flick, borrow one from someone first because some folks find the rim to be a little shallow.

Hey all.

So I have a 165 DX Teebird. I like it a lot and have gotten my longest drives ever with it. I drive mainly LHFH (same flight pattern as RHBH).

Lately this disc has been going right and not fading back, and when it sometimes does fade, it doesnt fade very hard. To get it to go straight or at least fade well, I have to throw it with the outside wing pointing down (hyzer?). It still flies out to the right a bit, but it comes back fine and is on target. (Is this called a hyzer flip?)

Is this right turning/non-fading caused because of bad form/OAT or because of the disc's lighter weight and wear? I've hit tons of trees/parking lots and its getting pretty beat up with lots of wear on the rim. On the other hand, I have been improving my FH throw greatly over the past few weeks, and am getting more and more D, while still (relatively) maintaining accuracy.

Is it my form or the disc? Im hoping for:
A - some advice on how to remedy the situation and work on better throwing form OR
B - an excuse to get a new champ or star TB.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

It's DX, it's light, you've beat the hell out of it. OAT or not, the combo of those 3 things is enough for me to get a 170-ish TeeBird in either Star or Champ if I were you. Sounds like you got a mean Anny driver though.

If you buy a new disc, exactly like your old one, you won't have this problem. It's just getting beat.

I still fail to see the problem. Thrown with a hyzer the disc flips just past flat and lands in-line with where he was aiming to throw. That sounds like a great shot to me. I'd recommend getting another DX Teebird and breaking it in so it's the same as this one so you have a backup.

I still fail to see the problem. Thrown with a hyzer the disc flips just past flat and lands in-line with where he was aiming to throw.QUOTE]

Yeah, its definitly a sweet shot when I can pull it off, fo sho. The problem is this:

I'm definitly not skilled enough yet to release it consistently with a hyzer, especially since I release all my other discs flat. If I have a bad release, it will go right and not come back. This has caused me to have to go swimming on more than one occasion with this disc.

Im just looking for a little insurance against the right turn if I do release flat or slightly anhyzer. Im getting better, but I still needs a lot of practice (just started playing the latter half of this summer...)

Thanks for all the advice! Im definitly gonna pick up a ~168g Champ or Star Teebird this week, and maybe a starfire, firebird or 150 flick for when I get better.

Last edited:
I'm definitly not skilled enough yet to release it consistently with a hyzer, especially since I release all my other discs flat. If I have a bad release, it will go right and not come back. This has caused me to have to go swimming on more than one occasion with this disc.
I'd classify that as a major problem. I'd worry more about fixing it than trying to cover that up. You'll never be consistant if you can't control the angle of release well enough to distinguish an anhyzer from a hyzer.

That being said, I don't actually think a Teebird is a great disc for learning. A DX Gazelle or D Cyclone will be more forgiving but still not hide form flaws too much.