• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TD Question - What makes you remember an event?

bschick

Bogey Member
Have a question for TD's or players. I have played tournaments for a long time and never thought about this obvious question. What are some things that are "no brainers" that you appreciate or wish TD's would do that would make an event memorable. The obvious things I could think of are down are below, what else am I missing?

Start on time
Nice payouts/players packages
Courses clearly marked
Think about course flow to avoid three card backups
Snacks/water around the course

I am sure there are tons of other things that don't cost hundreds of dollars that are obvious. Can you help me out?

Something I am thinking of that I have never seen, letting each foursome do live scoring for their group. It will not be mandatory, but I do think it would be really cool to be able to monitor your division if you want to. Everyone has a phone, it's super easy to upload the scores as you write them down, why not?

What else peeps? Appreciate the help....

I usually remember the things opposite of what you said... I remember the 1 hour backup hanging out with Avery and Simon on hole 9. I remember that one event that started 1.5 hours late and we all sat around bitching about things. I remember that event that I forgot to pack water and I suffered through a 5 hour round and nearly dehydrated and died. I remember that time that half of the cards played the wrong hole because it was poorly marked... :-D

As a TD, I try less to make an event memorable than I do to make it so that no big negative things stick with the players.

Have everything ready, good timing and no major slow spots/hiccups then you usually end up doing well.

A few years ago I traveled to Emporia as a spectator to watch the GBO. After the final round they had a long drive contest and was able to watch Simon, Big Jerm, and David Wiggins launch rockets off an elevated tee area. Of all the GBO'S I have attended this is by far one of most distinct disc golf memory's I have retained.

Though the contest was just for fun each contest was allowed three throws... Watched Big Jerm and David Wiggins face plant off a steep decline after their release and Simon launch a couple 800 footers. Big Jerm and Wiggins couldn't find the right line but Simon made it look easy. It was spectacular.

If you provide snacks/lunch make sure you have multiple options for dietary restrictions/allergies

I might add....get me out of there on time as well. Smooth, efficient, quick awards ceremony/payouts. Prepaid reg to avoid standing in line in the morning. A thought out, prepared players meeting. And under the category of personal agenda....Putting the old guys on the close holes to start each round. :p :D

For myself, I don't think anything a TD does, in running the tournament, makes an event memorable. At least, not in a good way. It takes a great course and good weather to do that.

But sometimes those actions themselves are memorable. Long ago, there was a local C-tier where there would be coolers of fruit on several holes. Grapes, bananas, etc. That was great.

Mike Barnett at the Thrown Down the Mountain, where there are teetimes, would resolve divisions as soon as everyone was finished---while other divisions were still on the course---and pay them out. No holding people hostage for an awards ceremony; if your division finished early, you could collect and hit the road.

The closest thing that comes to mind is when a TD puts together a fabulous temp course---the aforementioned Throw Down the Mountain, and the old Charleston Classic that used to be held at Hampton Park. It's not the running of the event, but close enough. Those were memorable.

Brad, most of the time when a TD does a great job it kind of goes unnoticed. People tend to remember bad things more than good things. Its like referees and Olineman, you only hear their names when they did something wrong. So, I would concentrate more on keeping the rounds flowing smoothly. Whether that means having spotters, clearly marking OB, having course maps with rules or if need be, shortening a particularly bad backup hole. Also, streamlining the morning registration and getting the awards/prizes done in a timely manner, can go a long way towards keeping people happy.

Here's what I want out of an event:
-online registration well in advance of event, and all event info (layouts, schedule, etc) posted in one central location--not divided between a flyer, DGscene, Facebook, etc.
-a caddy book that has all essential information--teepads, basket positions, course maps, accurate distances, rule sheet, ANY OB or Mandos.
-no new information introduced at the players meeting
-clear and sensible schedule, stuck to.
-if players packs are used, make them a little interesting--don't give away DX Kites and a cotton tee, do pint glasses or branded vegetable peeler... stuff we don't have 20 of already
-make sure that all participants feel valued--don't just focus on open, consider whether your layouts and time allotments are suitable for intermediate men, rec women, etc.
-if you're seeking sponsors or planning to provide lunch or similar, arrange it early so it's a smooth rollout. This is good both for participants AND you.

Post volunteers on backup holes. If it's a multi-drive hole, have them signal to tee once the card ahead is clear of the landing zone. If it's just notorious for losing discs, either have them spot and/or enforce the 3 minute lost disc rule.

I don't know if this is particularly useful, but my brother and I have run non-standard-format events. Years ago we used to run a single-elimination, match-play tournament; after we discontinued, some folks about an hour and half away picked up the format. Nowadays, we run a team play event, 4 rounds with a variety of formats (match play, doubles, etc.).

I would hope that's memorable, for being different if nothing else.

Of course, it doesn't offer any guidance for TDs running standard division, stroke-play tournaments.

Another thing we're able to do, is allow camping on the course. People can pitch a tent on Friday, never leave until Sunday, and enjoy the peaceful setting and campfire conversations and hijinks. Not an original idea, I know; it's been done for many years, on some courses. I would think that would help make an event memorable to those who camp; perhaps not to those who don't. And it probably applies to any event with on-site lodging.

Another thing you might do, I'm guessing from your years on team DC that you have some nice plastic(if not necessarily nice then at least maybe abundant, lol) stacked in a corner somewhere? Maybe do some ctp's or ring of fires while you're getting the prizes straightened out?...

Another thing you might do, I'm guessing from your years on team DC that you have some nice plastic(if not necessarily nice then at least maybe abundant, lol) stacked in a corner somewhere? Maybe do some ctp's or ring of fires while you're getting the prizes straightened out?...

When are you going to sign up? 😄

I don't know that there's a heckuva lot a TD can realistically do to make an event a particularly good memorable experience, but there are things they can do (or fail to do) that can make it memorable for the wrong reasons.

Mostly having to do with respecting people's time by being well organized and efficient. Have any OB clearly marked... not every card has the same judgement.

I might add....get me out of there on time as well. Smooth, efficient, quick awards ceremony/payouts. Prepaid reg to avoid standing in line in the morning. A thought out, prepared players meeting. And under the category of personal agenda....Putting the old guys on the close holes to start each round. :p :D
Ru4por hit on a lot of things that make things run better, which makes for a better experience.

After a two rounds at a tournament pace, it's been a long day. Please, get me on my way.

If it's a hot day, have water available to refill bottles, particularly at the more remote holes.

If it's cold, maybe hand warmers in the players pack. Players who didn't bring their own will really appreciate them, and the ones who did will be happy to get a consumable they use.

Last edited:
He might be kind of joking about starting old guys on a close hole, but think of what's most efficient for the event.

It's not uncommon for most of the 1st round cards to be in, but you're still waiting for a few slow cards.

If you put slow cards on close holes, it reduces the wait.

Something I am thinking of that I have never seen, letting each foursome do live scoring for their group. It will not be mandatory, but I do think it would be really cool to be able to monitor your division if you want to. Everyone has a phone, it's super easy to upload the scores as you write them down, why not?
I'll tell you why not.

1. Everyone has a phone? No, not everyone, and even some who do, still use old school 2G ones that can't run big graphic apps.
2. Even if everyone did have a phone, the fact is that everyone's phone is just that. It's THEIR phone. It can cost hundreds of dollars, has a lot of personal information on it, has loads of other apps running, and most people don't want some random chucklehead handling it just to keep score during a round of disc golf when an urgent notification or call could come about.
3. Say what you will about how many trees we kill for paper scorecards, but I can't recall a single instance of one becoming inoperable due to issues with signal, battery life, or because someone dropped it on the sidewalk.

Now perhaps in a world where TD's handed out cheap tablets for players to borrow, that had only the necessary apps on them, and had enough battery to get through the day, and had a good signal that could be reached from any spot on the course, I could perhaps warm up to such an idea. This is probably cost prohibitive though.

Latest posts