• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Team_Vod update and more questions.

Team_Vod

Please bear with me,some of this may seme to go off on a tangent but it will come back to a point.

Team_Vod, my wife and I are having a great time playing this game. Through the generosity of experienced players we have a great collection of donated discs to help us figure out what is going to work the best for us as at each course we play we learn this game.

While playing we are now doing some rather cheesy commentary and quotes with one another from the movie Tin Cup. Its silly I know but I think it adds to the fun and ambiance of this game.

I think I may have stated I am an experienced commuting cyclist for more than 20 years and my wife is in a belly dance troupe for the last 6 years. 2016 has been an awesome year for activities with my wife and I. Where 2015 not so much. I was very sick in April/May, was in hospital for about 3 days and in ICU for one of those. In July/Aug. of 2015 I had to kave my left knee scoped. Had a a menisicus and cartildge tear plus additional tissue most of us get rid of shortly after we are born. Then I had a blood flow problem in my lower left leg. Needless to say between my physical issues and my wife helping to take care of me neither one of us was very active in 2015. I only ride just over 503 miles and forget about anything else.

Now we jump to 2016. My bike riding has increased, I usually average 950 to 1000 miles a year. To date I am over 1100 miles for the year, my wife has done a lot more belly dance with her troupe this year. We have also started other activities in 2016. Geocaching and disc golf are two such activities. We are not done yet. This winter we are going to cross country ski and snow shoe. In 2017 we are going to startin kayaking.

We are both going to turn 45 in about a month. We have become that couple who have gotten their second wind when the kids grow up and move out. But here is the thing, we have no children and have been married just over 25 years now.

As I mentioned I had a knee scope done in 2015. Two tears were repaired and excess tissue removed. While the pain ans swelling are mostly gone I still feel pressure and discomfort from time to time, especially after walking up and down hills of local disc golf courses. My dr. and physical therapist told me use my knee joint and base my activility level as I can tolerate. Not once have they told me not to do anything. They want me to use my knee joint. But with just over a year afterthe surgery I still do not think I cna handle any sort of lateral movemment on the joint. Forward motion is no problem. I can ride bike, walk andI will be able to handle cross country skiing.

But as I develope my disc golf technique I have to be careful and aware of the lateral movement and stress put on the joint, especialy when I tee off. I have started to turn at the waist, put my right shoulder in the direction I want the disc to fly or start to fly before it turns, and using as much throwing power as possible and necessary, throw the disc based on the wind and course conditions. I have also learned to pivot on the ball and/or heel of one if not both of my feet. Or I keep my feet still and turn at the waist only, or when I do pivot on my feet I make sure my left knee stays in line with my ankle and foot and hip. If it leads or follows it puts very uncomfortable lateral movement/pressure on the joint.

So here are my question/questions: If my wife and I get into competition play are there golf handicap considerations for people with physical issues such as mine because I am not able to take a walking/running steps to the tee box to tee off? I also assume with legaue play it would be up to the league I belong to whether or not a handicap is provided? Or is a golf handicap determined by the PDGA? Does certain information have to be submitted proving the reason for the gold handicap? I do not have a disability, just certain physical limitations.

Right now no one knows if this will get any better, as it is still too early to tell. I was told it can take up to 24 months post surgery to really tell a difference, I am just over 12 months post surgery. I do know the more I use the joint the stronger it gets and better it feels over time.

One thing is certain. We are going to continue to have a great time playing this game and we thank those who have graciously donated discs and advice to help us.

Yes an no.

Most play is divisioned meaning you are not competing against the entire field but only a subset of it. At 45 you are eligible for masters but you also have the option of playing in the Recreational division and possibly the Novice division, if it's available.

Be careful compensating for one issue or injury as to not cause another. Play within your capabilities.

And if your recovery process is said to be 24 months you may not want to go all gung ho on all the other sports too. Keep active, but keep perspective.

By the way. What is team vod

Be careful compensating for one issue or injury as to not cause another. Play within your capabilities.

And if your recovery process is said to be 24 months you may not want to go all gung ho on all the other sports too. Keep active, but keep perspective.

By the way. What is team vod

I already know how much to compensate so I do not cause injury on other joints, etc. But I am going to continue to push my limits on the knee joint. Iam taking the advice of my dr. and therapist to the extreme as participating in acticity as I can tolerate. Yes, I have over done it or have done too much too early shortly after the surgery and initial therapy were over and learned the hard way not to. The full recovery could take up to 24 months. It may only take another 6 months.

Team_Vod is the DGCR username and what my wife and I call ourselves. When we involve or include our German Shepherd in certain things, such as geocaching there are three of us that make up Team_Vod. Like I said we have no children.

I am also the kind of stubborn individual who when a lay person tells me I should not do something physical because they think I cannot, I go out and do it anyway to prove them wrong. I am also the kind of stubborn individual who has and will fire a doctor or physical therapist for telling me I have to give up bike riding and go find another who will do what is necessary to keep me riding and encourages other physical activity.

Latest posts