• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Team_Vod Update

Team_Vod

My wife and I continue to improve. We finished playing the local course at Western Iowa Tech. Community College last night. Tonight we are going to play the local 9 hole course at Sertoma Park for the first time. We will try and play it once more later this week, then start going through the local 9 hole courses at least once more time before the snow starts to fall.

We may even get a quick 9 hole round at a course in Des Moines, Iowa the weekend of the 29th and 30th.

I have started to work on a run up to the tee when I throw. I did this for the first time last night. This was after I ride my bike home from work, a 12.7 mile ride, over half was in a strong head wind. Some may remember I posted about a left knee scope in Aug. of 2015 and I still do not have the full confidence of the knee joint, especially when it comes to lateral movement or pressure. Well needless to say even though my knee/leg did not collapse from under me during while playing my knee is very sore and a bit swollen today. But it will be stronger for it as I develope my disc golf skills.

Three of the disc's we have are 165 grams or lower. My wife and I have figured out we throw better with heavier discs, especially her. When go play Sertoma Park tonight we are going to use the heaver weight discs, the lightest of which is 168 grams and that is a putter. The biggest difference we have noticed where the heavier weight is better for us is the drivers.

We have also upgraded to an actual disc golf bag. We are using he Innova Starter bag. It carries all of our discs we both use during play, including the markers and has enough room for other small items, keys, wallet, etc.

I know a run up is allowed at the tee. But what about after, on subsequent throws? My rsearch has lead me to some previous thread discussions, but when I try to find it in the PDGA rules, of which someone quoted 803.04, I cannot find rule 803.04. Which seemed to have explained the stance on subsequent throws. Has it been changed or removed?
I am askign becaus if a run up is allowed under the PDGA rules I am going to start trying to develop one for my subsequent throws.

Thanks for any help and advice.

You may move your feet anytime you wish as long as you are outside the putting circle, just don't go past your marker.

Ah yes the left knee scope cliff hanger from 2015. Been waiting to hear an update on that for a while now! :p

Yes, you can run up to your lie in the fairway for your second drive or upshot. Glad you're enjoying the game and try to take it easy on the knee; knee injuries take forever to heal as you seem to already know.

Have some questions on throwing styles.
With anhyzer throws how much of an upward angle is ncessary to get the disc to turn right? Whne I have had to throw up a hill with a very obvious upward angle, matching the angle of the hill I am on and some of which have been almost vertical, the disc still turns left, not right.

With the turbo-putt throw it seems the flicking motion is done with the wrist because the disc rests on the finger tips. Is this correct? What if my hand is not large enough for my finger tips to be outside the rim of the disc?

With a bi-motto putt is the throw actually done with both hands when holding it at eye level? If it is I am picturing holding the disc between both hands and hurling it straight out with the force of the throw coming from both forearms, kind of like passing a basketball from eye level. Or is it held with both hands at eye level, then when it is thrown the non-throwing hand releases the disc so it is released in a RHBH motion starting at eye level?

Are there still pictures that show how the disc is held using these various throwing styles and a step by step diagrams/illisutrations of how the motion looks as the disc is released?

Yes, you can run up to your lie in the fairway for your second drive or upshot. Glad you're enjoying the game and try to take it easy on the knee; knee injuries take forever to heal as you seem to already know.

Don't listen to this joker, you can RUN-up to your putts too. Just make sure not to follow-through :D

Sertoma: I hope the climb up and down the hill was not too taxing on your knee.

If Sertoma was not too terrible, I would suggest Crystal Cove in South Sioux. Of the courses in the Sioux City area, I like it the most.

Don't listen to this joker, you can RUN-up to your putts too. Just make sure not to follow-through :D

Andy, it's a putt-jump not a jump-putt. :p

Sertoma: I hope the climb up and down the hill was not too taxing on your knee.

If Sertoma was not too terrible, I would suggest Crystal Cove in South Sioux. Of the courses in the Sioux City area, I like it the most.

Not at all. It was all good. Today I am sore and stiff and I am riding bike home from work tonight. My commute is just under 13 miles, relativley flat but about half will be into a head wind. The second half I will have a nice tail wind as I ride north. I also rode bike home form work this past Saturday. After three days of fairly intense activity my knee is feeling it, but as i said I will continue to push it hard to help it heal.

I am not playing golf or riding tomorrow, giving the knee a rest. Might ride on Wed. Am going geocaching on Thursday and my wife and I will play Sertoma for the second time.

This weekend we are going to Des Moines and hope to get a quick round in at Crivaro Park. We won't have time for much else in regard to recreational activities.

We are not ready for Crystal Cove just yet and probably will not be this year. Our skills are not good enough yet to prevent us from losing disc's in the water. We often end up in the trees, especially at WIT and Sertoma Park.

Last edited:
Our score last night was me 45, my wife 55. The course is a par 33. I know, I know we did not do so well and I imagine some of you think we did terrible and really suck at this game. And that's OK if you do. But I can tell you we are getting better. We have done worse at other courses. I can almost guarantee we score better the second time we play it on Thursday.

We have played a total of 4 courses, 3 of them twice. Of those three we have improved by a total average of 3.66 strokes for me and 6.66 strokes for my wife provided I am doing the math correctly. I took the difference of the first and second games for each course, added the total together and divided it by three. One of the courses I scored the same each time. On one of the courses we were only using a mid range for each one of us as that is all we had. The other two we had obtained drivers and putters which we now use.

Latest posts