• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technique on submaximal drives

Diskimees

Hey

I am wondering about what should be done differently on shorter drives. For example 200-300 ft shots through gaps where accuracy is more important than distance. Do you shift your weight in the same way, simply shorter? Do you plant the lead foot more open? Any other interesting ideas?

I have learned that when I throw it more with my arm, I am more accurate. That means I consciously bring the disc to my pecs. But that might be just my experience. And the slower tempo of course.

I take out parts of my wind up working from my feet upward, and stick with roughly the same shot. So I'll take out my run-up first (and do a one-step), then I'll go to stand still, then to no weight transfer from my back to front foot, then no hips. I find that once I need to remove my shoulders I'm usually putting.

Thats a fantastic answer for approaching. What about off the tee, if you need a decently long shot, whatever it is for you, but your aim is to be accurate, for example hitting a gap. Do you do anything differently or is it the same technique as a full drive, but powered down?

I plant my feet, with my back leg cocked about 35 degrees off the line to the basket so more of my shoulder is facing the pin. I pretty much throw like the Beato pec drill, all arm.

Instead of a walk up, I will rock in one place to keep my timing and footing. Forward/backward/forward/cock the arm going backward/forward and throw.

I keep my elbow high and pull straight across my chest. 200-240' is an easy comet shot so I use a birdie grip to control my angle and release better.

Hey

I am wondering about what should be done differently on shorter drives. For example 200-300 ft shots through gaps where accuracy is more important than distance. Do you shift your weight in the same way, simply shorter? Do you plant the lead foot more open? Any other interesting ideas?

I have learned that when I throw it more with my arm, I am more accurate. That means I consciously bring the disc to my pecs. But that might be just my experience. And the slower tempo of course.

Interesting Q, I'd been noticing a lot of variability in this range.

These are the holes I throw most commonly (lots of woods and gap shots around me) and I've been getting much better at them C1 hit-wise. I now consistently lose more strokes to putts than to drives at this distance by a fair margin. Here's what I think I generally do:

1. Developing an accurate distance game always makes hitting gaps at distance easier. That involves the whole body. I always use a weight shift even if it's small.

2. I always have my eyes on an apex that will park the target, or often aim through the target. This seems to help improve my precision.

3. Throwing from one leg or standstills is a legitimate way to do this if your technique is good. I always make sure I am pumping with my front leg - "all arm" to me implies fully inert legs and that's generally dangerous for the arm and shoulder. I prefer my arm to be along for the ride. The liability is that it's fairly easy to overshoot short holes just from a good one leg throw, so I usually use tricks to control distance at the shorter end of that range.

4. At 200' I throw mostly from one leg or an inline standstill. If I'm x-stepping it's basically just helping me find rhythm before throwing on one leg. Putters, Pigs are most frequent. If I can, I like to throw stalling shots to control distance and drop on the target from above. If it's a low-ceiling gap shot, I'm usually throwing on hyzer so even if there's an overshoot it will tend to come back to earth rather than glide away.

5. At the 250' range, I sometimes throw from one leg, but prefer a standstill, or a compact or downtempo x-step. It has gotten easier to achieve the same thing different ways with practice. Putters, Pigs, and Comets are most frequent depending on the line.

6. At the 300' range, I still am preferring to throw putters or mids, and usually am using a downtempo version of my distance form to try and lace the gap. That way I'm still learning about my distance form, but working on staying in control to hit the gap or stay in a tunnel. I usually use Comets at this range if it's a gap, or a Buzzz if it's more Anhyzer or needs to hyzer out in the finish. Also remember that a 267' shot gets you into C1, so know how you are rolling the dice in terms of parked vs. a long putt based on your own percentages.

I started with a distance–first mindset, so for a long time I had difficulty throwing under 300 feet. even with putters.
It takes practice and intentional changes to your "pure" efficient distance form.

I focus on:

super slow walk up with small steps.

turn the shoulders less.

on 75-150ft I stand still and barely have a backswing. I reach in an ULTRA wide rail (basically straight out) just to keep the timing of my swing without looking away from the target or turning my shoulders much.

I started with a distance–first mindset, so for a long time I had difficulty throwing under 300 feet. even with putters.
It takes practice and intentional changes to your "pure" efficient distance form.

I focus on:

super slow walk up with small steps.

turn the shoulders less.

on 75-150ft I stand still and barely have a backswing. I reach in an ULTRA wide rail (basically straight out) just to keep the timing of my swing without looking away from the target or turning my shoulders much.

hahah

SMASH DISC GO WOOSH.

Rawr

You still have to have techniques to alter power levels.

I find that the biggest change for me is shortening the backswing when I power down.

The reason I say putters is because he was asking tight lines, not hulk smash.

Its' easier to control a putter than a driver.

And to really control a shot, you need to throw a different style, like you're saying, or really back off on the power.

I find that the biggest change for me is shortening the backswing when I power down.

You reminded me - also worth pointing out that when many pros x-step when powered down, they're using the same Figure 8 whole body action, they just shrink the coil down and the shoulder comes back to a lesser degree in proportion. So they're getting that full body whip over a small range of motion.

I found it helpful to look for the mini coil in the lower power (350' and down) shots in the OT montages:

You reminded me - also worth pointing out that when many pros x-step when powered down, they're using the same Figure 8 whole body action, they just shrink the coil down and the shoulder comes back to a lesser degree in proportion. So they're getting that full body whip over a small range of motion.

I found it helpful to look for the mini coil in the lower power (350' and down) shots in the OT montages:

Yup, the swing is still in-tact, its just smaller/shorter.

I love watching Philo's lower powered swings personally.

You and I started on opposite ends of development, but it's interesting that I developed the same style here. Also in that OT montage I wanted to point out that the pros tend to keep the backswing wider at short range & rely on the body whip. I now understand that this is part of maintaining balanced posture overall when scaling down the throw. It feels exactly like this to me when I do it well and the arms have started to move more naturally move toward a wider rail in the backswing when I throw shorter distances:

J3qxye0.png

Yup, the swing is still in-tact, its just smaller/shorter.

I love watching Philo's lower powered swings personally.

Heck yeah, how rude of me:

hahah

SMASH DISC GO WOOSH.

Rawr

You and I started on opposite ends of development, but it's interesting that I developed the same style here. Also in that OT montage I wanted to point out that the pros tend to keep the backswing wider at short range & rely on the body whip. I now understand that this is part of maintaining balanced posture overall when scaling down the throw. It feels exactly like this to me when I do it well and the arms have started to move more naturally move toward a wider rail in the backswing when I throw shorter distances

Yeah I always approach it this way for some reason. I learned my normal putt from practicing a jump putt and my shorter throws from limiting my "full" form. It makes it easier for me to feel the forces first and then dial them back.

SW always said to start with your "free wheeling" form and then make it more efficient. Simon always said learn to throw first and golf second. I took those to heart—lessons I'm still learning from today.

Last edited: