• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee sign design advice

Williskaw

My local course is getting an overhaul with new tee pads, partial re-design, etc. We are hoping to put up new tee signs once we get everything squared away. With a limited budget and money going elsewhere on the course, I am trying to design a tee sign design in-house. I have very limited design experience but I'm determined to make a professional looking product. I am using Inkscape which was recommended by a friend and have made a little bit of progress. It needs a decent bit of polishing to make it look professional, though. Here is an example of what I have so far. Does anybody have tips, suggestions, etc. to help me out? Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    111.7 KB · Views: 175
I guess it could be polished a little, but that looks pretty good to me right now. Maybe just tone down the bright colors a little, or not. :thmbup:

Took the words right off of my keyboard. Is the course listed on here?

Thanks guys! I think you're right about the colors being a bit much. It's posted as Kiwanis DGC in Staunton, VA.

I played there a few years ago, has some very cool holes.

A question that has bothered me for years; what is the function of the huge old building in the middle of the park and is it haunted?

It used to be a personal residence (pretty impressive especially for the time period). From what I understand it gets used from time to time for events but I'm not sure about that. Apparently paranormal investigators have been there so I guess some people have claimed it to be.

Last edited:
Looks good. Our club is using your strategy. FWIW the Par, Dist, Elev info is nearly 25% of the entire area. Bold colors add pop imo.

Quibble. I'd make the tee some other color than green, so it stands out a little better. It's the second thing I look at on a sign (after the hole number, making sure I'm in the right place).

As for the bright colors, you might weigh whether you want it to be easily seen from a distance (assisting navigation), or less conspicuous (aesthetics, in a park setting).

Some materials weather better than others, some colors fade quicker.

The graphic design is important, but what the sign is made of is more so.

Change the font for the hole number so that it stands out more. Maybe to a sans serif font. Or just one that has more heft in it. Change the color of the teepad to black, or white so that it doesn't disappear into the rest of the green. The color fade background might look neat, but it probably won't print well. The banner for the name seems not centered with the border and the number. And dump the outline on it. The border on the right side of the banner box stands out, and is not flush with the main border.

Change the font for the hole number so that it stands out more. Maybe to a sans serif font. Or just one that has more heft in it. Change the color of the teepad to black, or white so that it doesn't disappear into the rest of the green. The color fade background might look neat, but it probably won't print well. The banner for the name seems not centered with the border and the number. And dump the outline on it. The border on the right side of the banner box stands out, and is not flush with the main border.

To add to this, numbers should always be in a fixed width font.

If you want to round off a lot of those edges on your lines, use the node tool and select the rounded option (looks like a half circle with a node in it)

How big will the signs be? If they're normal size, it might he good to lose some of the details. Maybe just have the roads black/grey and outline them in red for the OB instead if having dashed lines for the OB and on the road so close to each other. Since you have multiple OB lines, you could remove the "OB" label and just put a legend in the bottom right corner.

Last edited:
a333b9fd.jpg

Last edited:
MayFlower Hills have the best signs I've seen lately. Good info, easy to follow and it doesn't hurt that the course is amazing.

Latest posts