• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee time intervals

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Wondering about what the normal time is between cards teeing off would be with assigned tee times, and is it enough to prevent backups?

Last edited:
No idea but wonder how it compares to ~10min ideal golf times.
hether at the competitive or recreational level -- comes by putting more time between groups on a course. Spreading out tee times intuitively would appear to have the opposite effect, making everybody's round end later.

USGA technical director Matt Pringle spent parts of both days at this week's Pace of Play Symposium in Far Hills, N.J., attempting to dispel the seeming contradiction. Arguably the best data he had to prove it came out of a joint partnership that the USGA entered with the LPGA in 2014 to try and improve pace of play on the women's tour -- one in which the average round time was reduced by 14 minutes.

At the start of the season, the LPGA employed 10-minute intervals between its starting times when playing in threesomes. Officials tracked times for the first six events of the year and passed this information on to the USGA. During these events the average time for a round was 4 hours 54 minutes, with the average time for the longest round of the day being 5:12 and the longest round recorded overall taking 5:35.

Analyzing the times, Pringle recommend to LPGA officials to try 11 minute intervals in their tee times, suggesting that part of the reason for the long rounds came from players waiting on groups ahead of them. LPGA chief tour operations Heather Daly-Donofrio said there was some apprehension initially from players concerned it might lead to more delays, not fewer, but they eventually agreed to try it figuring they could always go back if it didn't work.

In short order, the times actually did drop, with the average round taking 4:49, the average of the longest round of the day falling to 5:04 and the longest round overall coming in at 5:24.

Additionally, the LPGA also made a change to its own pace-of-play policy on tour, which went into effect at the Kingsmill Championship in May. Rather than assign a time par for all groups to conform to, only the lead group would now be required to meet the time or be subject to warning and individual timing over shots. Subsequent groups, meanwhile, would be responsible instead with maintaining position on the course in relation to the group preceding it.

"The time par policy [for all players] had people focusing on groups behind them and whether they had people waiting on them," Daly-Donofrio said. Conversely, the new policy emphasized focusing on the group ahead and making sure you're not too far back.

The combination of the new policy and 11 minute intervals has results in even faster play. The average round time fell to 4:40 -- 14 minutes quicker than at the start of the year. The average of the longest round was 4:54, the amount of time that previous was the overall average. And the longest round total dropped to 5:13, an improvement of 22 minutes.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-usga-and-lpga-do-the-math

Probably depends a bit on the first few holes on the course. Further along, nothing prevents backups on a backup-prone hole.

You certainly want enough time for Hole 1 to clear, to avoid the grief of delaying tee-times. Last time I played The Canyon, the first hole was a quick one, the second a long one, so we played one hole and immediately hit a multi-group backup.

What does the USDGC use? 10 minutes?

Probably depends a bit on the first few holes on the course. Further along, nothing prevents backups on a backup-prone hole.

You certainly want enough time for Hole 1 to clear, to avoid the grief of delaying tee-times. Last time I played The Canyon, the first hole was a quick one, the second a long one, so we played one hole and immediately hit a multi-group backup.

What does the USDGC use? 10 minutes?
No idea. But i really,really don't want back ups, so spotters on tough early holes and 15 or 20 minutes between tee times ? 4th and 5th holes can cause backups.

I don't know. The problem is when you have a string of quick-playing holes before a slow-playing hole. No matter what you do, groups will rush through the former and back up on the latter.

But I guess if you figure out how long the slow-playing holes take to play, and set your teetimes based on that, you'll at least minimize the problem.

I've seen this formula to reduce backups, including at Earlewood's #18 which can get 4 groups standing on the tee, and it works well if you can get people to understand it:

Anytime you get 2 groups on the tee when the hole is clear, both groups drive, and walk to their discs. But the first group plays out the hole, while the 2nd group waits where their drives landed for the 1st group to clear. It really picks up the pace on backup holes.

I've also seen backup holes where a group drives, throws their second shots, and then turns around and spots for the next group to drive. It helps because searching for discs is often a major part of the backup.

For what all that's worth. To the question of teetimes, I see no problem in spreading them 15 minutes apart, if you're only doing 1 round in the day, and have time. It would be nice to play at an empty-course pace for the first few holes.

Oddly enough, we haven't had too much of a problem with backups at Stoney Hill. Perhaps in part because we limit groups to foursomes. But the two places most prone to backups are very scenic places to sit and wait, so even if we have them they're not too bad.

But I guess if you figure out how long the slow-playing holes take to play, and set your teetimes based on that, you'll at least minimize the problem.

That's probably the best way to minimize a bad backup. But it would only work if the problem hole was early enough in the course.

It was 10 minutes at Ledgestone and didn't seem like there were too many problems. The last round at Eureka got a little slow halfway through as some of the women's groups started stacking up, mostly because of having to look for lost discs in the bush. If you can't get through a hole in 10 minutes, you probably shouldn't play in tourneys.

It was 10 minutes at Ledgestone and didn't seem like there were too many problems. The last round at Eureka got a little slow halfway through as some of the women's groups started stacking up, mostly because of having to look for lost discs in the bush. If you can't get through a hole in 10 minutes, you probably shouldn't play in tourneys.

Foursomes or fivesomes?

I think group size might be something to factor in.

Regardless, even with backups later in the round, a bigger spread at the start might reduce the length of those backups. A big event doesn't have much choice, as they're trying to squeeze a bunch of people onto a course, but a smaller one might.

During the Worlds, I read somewhere that they were going with 10 minute intervals instead of "the normal 8 minutes", and that the 10 minute interval worked well. Looks like 10 minutes might become the standard, course-dependent of course.

If you can't get through a hole in 10 minutes, you probably shouldn't play in tourneys.
This is a tournament geared for folks who don't play tournaments because they are either lousy or hate to wait. In my case,both.Non sanctioned.foursomes.

Last edited:
10 minutes is fine, but backup holes will back up.

I don't know. The problem is when you have a string of quick-playing holes before a slow-playing hole. No matter what you do, groups will rush through the former and back up on the latter.

I've seen this formula to reduce backups, including at Earlewood's #18 which can get 4 groups standing on the tee, and it works well if you can get people to understand it:

Anytime you get 2 groups on the tee when the hole is clear, both groups drive, and walk to their discs. But the first group plays out the hole, while the 2nd group waits where their drives landed for the 1st group to clear. It really picks up the pace on backup holes.

I've also seen backup holes where a group drives, throws their second shots, and then turns around and spots for the next group to drive. It helps because searching for discs is often a major part of the backup.

For what all that's worth. To the question of teetimes, I see no problem in spreading them 15 minutes apart, if you're only doing 1 round in the day, and have time. It would be nice to play at an empty-course pace for the first few holes.

IMO, the biggest cause for backups are straight par 4s (as in, not doglegs).
The people sitting on the tee pad insist on waiting for the group ahead of them to finish putting before they drive, because one or two of them has some crazy idea that he will land on the green with a 550' throw. Sometimes if the guy on the top of the card insists on waiting, I'll ask if I can go ahead and drive, since I'm not planning on getting all the way to the green.
If it's a dogleg where your drive absolutely cannot reach the green, you just wait for the group ahead of you to clear the corner, and then your group drives to the corner, so you have 2 groups playing on the hole at the same time.

The 2-group tee maneuver at 18 Earlewood works well, but I am also a fan of the Leapfrog Maneuver. We use it on 9 and 18 at Ashe County Park, and they should have used it at Eureka Temp 14. One group drives, and while they're walking to their discs, the group behind them throws over their heads.
This works great on big downhill holes. First group drives and walks to their discs (and maybe throws a recovery shot or two to get out of the woods). They then turn around and watch while the group behind them drives. This gets the added bonus of 4 extra people watching their drives to help with lost discs. While the second group is walking down the hill, the first group finishes their approaches and putts.
At Eureka Temp 14, there was very little risk of lost discs, but the long walk from the tee, around the lake, to the fairway was the perfect time for the second group to tee. Then the first group throws their approach shots while the second group is walking around the lake.

Thanks for the lenghty response, Todd.
If you are healed up,come join us. Todd P said you are dealing with a soccer injury.

10 minutes is fine, but backup holes will back up.

IMO, the biggest cause for backups are straight par 4s (as in, not doglegs).
The people sitting on the tee pad insist on waiting for the group ahead of them to finish putting before they drive, because one or two of them has some crazy idea that he will land on the green with a 550' throw. Sometimes if the guy on the top of the card insists on waiting, I'll ask if I can go ahead and drive, since I'm not planning on getting all the way to the green.
If it's a dogleg where your drive absolutely cannot reach the green, you just wait for the group ahead of you to clear the corner, and then your group drives to the corner, so you have 2 groups playing on the hole at the same time.

The 2-group tee maneuver at 18 Earlewood works well, but I am also a fan of the Leapfrog Maneuver. We use it on 9 and 18 at Ashe County Park, and they should have used it at Eureka Temp 14. One group drives, and while they're walking to their discs, the group behind them throws over their heads.
This works great on big downhill holes. First group drives and walks to their discs (and maybe throws a recovery shot or two to get out of the woods). They then turn around and watch while the group behind them drives. This gets the added bonus of 4 extra people watching their drives to help with lost discs. While the second group is walking down the hill, the first group finishes their approaches and putts.
At Eureka Temp 14, there was very little risk of lost discs, but the long walk from the tee, around the lake, to the fairway was the perfect time for the second group to tee. Then the first group throws their approach shots while the second group is walking around the lake.

Good points. Ashe County was one I was thinking of, though I got the exact procedure wrong. We've done that final maneuver at Stoney Hill, hole 17A, where you tee across the water, then walk the long way around. The next group, if they're ready, can tee....although, often, they waited to play the preceding hole, so they don't get the chance.

....the trick of some of these backup-alleviating schemes is getting players to understand and follow them. I suggest putting a sign at the tee to explain it.

David maybe you should bring your clan up here and help me expedite play...with the RV of course.

Thanks for the lenghty response, Todd.
If you are healed up,come join us. Todd P said you are dealing with a soccer injury.

Yup, tore my ACL in February, had surgery on May 2nd. I played my first round since surgery a couple of weeks ago, but it put a little strain on my hamstring, so I need to wait a few more weeks before I get back into playing. And I sure as heck wouldn't be able to handle throwing on hillsides yet. (Although it's still damn near 95deg down here ... I'd be willing to put up with a lot to get some nice mountain weather.

And you know what still blows my mind? I've never even played your course. For as much as I worked on Ashe and played Blackjack, I've never made it back up there since you built yours...

Yup, tore my ACL in February, had surgery on May 2nd. I played my first round since surgery a couple of weeks ago, but it put a little strain on my hamstring, so I need to wait a few more weeks before I get back into playing. And I sure as heck wouldn't be able to handle throwing on hillsides yet. (Although it's still damn near 95deg down here ... I'd be willing to put up with a lot to get some nice mountain weather.

And you know what still blows my mind? I've never even played your course. For as much as I worked on Ashe and played Blackjack, I've never made it back up there since you built yours...
My son tore his too,playing indoor football
...long recovery. I don't know if it was a deterrent, but we replaced all the homemade hanging baskets. Its taken 8 years to work out the kinks.Todd P just gave me the original signs from Ashe Park. When you do come,maybe we can pull him out of retirement.