• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teeing Off

Jesterian

Par Member
How long does a player have to tee off?

What about throwing a putt or up shot, how long do you have to make your throw?

Thanks guys.

Interesting question, I have seen lots of pro's throw the same way, they step up to the bad, take one quick practice non throw, whatever you call it, then clean their hand, then throw.
Personally me, sometimes when I feel it i just step up and throw, other times I take my time to think about what Im doing if im not "feeling it" and want to be more strategic.
I do however take ALOT of flack every state i play in for my putt, I do NOT think or take time on my putt AT ALL. I do not square up to the goal, or face the goal like the pro's.
I am MUCH more accurate if I step up and put quickly. Everyone laughs and says "you look so nonchalant", but the more i think about my putt, the less successful I am so I always wait to walk up to my disc until its my turn to putt.
For this reason I get very frustrated when people walk in front of me, or clear their disc on the other side of the goal when its my turn.

Just wondering because I do see pros take longer than 30 seconds to tee off. Do they just not call it unless the person is taking excessive time or are you allowed longer on the tee pad?

For this reason I get very frustrated when people walk in front of me, or clear their disc on the other side of the goal when its my turn.

Never mind.....I misread what you said and thought you were talking about clearing the basket

Last edited:
Just wondering because I do see pros take longer than 30 seconds to tee off. Do they just not call it unless the person is taking excessive time or are you allowed longer on the tee pad?

Nope, its just the others being courteous. Sometimes you will see people step back waiting for a gusty wind to die. Most people will not call this unless you end up taking 5 minutes for each throw

801.03 Excessive Time
A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:
-The previous player has thrown; and,
-The player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
-The playing area is clear and free of distractions.

In my experience the 30-second rule is violated much more often on shots other than tee shots. Especially difficult, get-out-of-the-woods rescue shots. It's not limited to Pros, either.

Of course, if the thrower defines "free of distraction", almost any delay can be excused.

The pro who comes to mind is Markus Källström. We call him the "ceremony master" because he always takes sooooo long.

The elaborate pre-throw routines are annoying, but if there's movement in the background or what have you they can take time to clear their head and start over.

The pro who comes to mind is Markus Källström. We call him the "ceremony master" because he always takes sooooo long.
MC Källström? Isn't he a hip-hop artist?

Some play faster than others. Michael Jo is one of the fastest players I've seen; he knows the shot, he throws it, and doesn't wait to see where it lands cause he already knows (on a good day). Others take longer, Geoff comes to mind.

If you're going to call someone for 30 seconds (at exactly that time limit), wait until around 35 seconds because their clock may not be on the same schedule as your's. That way they can't claim that it was within there allotted time and you distracted them.

I figure if you've got a difficult escape route to hit and need to buy yourself some more time to think about it, pretend that a bug flew in your eye. Should work but only once, maybe twice a round. Don't push your luck.

figure if you've got a difficult escape route to hit and need to buy yourself some more time to think about it, pretend that a bug flew in your eye. Should work but only once, maybe twice a round. Don't push your luck.

Two eyes, ears and nostrils. One mouth. I can milk that for seven times. :D

Do wind gusts count as distractions? I mean, there is wind and then there are wind gusts.

If the winds were really erratic, I wouldn't have any problem letting someone take 45 secs, or a minute. But 2 minutes? Ridiculous, and I'd be calling it by the third hole.

Last edited:

Latest posts