• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell me about Champ Gazelles

josser

Eagle Member
How do the CFR champ Gazelles that I see floating around fly compared to reasonably new DX ones?

I have to hyzer flip the dx gazelles to make em go straight. The cfr champ glow gazelles I have to throw flat and they go straight and hyzer out at the end of the flight. So the champ ones are a little more stable I think

The Champs are more overstable and have less glide than DX. Basically they're not overstable enough and don't penetrate well enough to justify carrying as an overstable driver and too overstable and short to justify carrying them as a control driver.

I believe people on here have said that the CFR champ glows that have been available recently on DGV are better and more Gazelle like than the KC Pro Champs. I just bought two of the X-outs a week ago and they definitely start out a little more stable than even the tourney stamped (flatter) DX ones I have but not hugely so. I'm probably going to do a bunch of field throwing tomorrow so I'll get a better idea then of how they compare.

JimW said:
I believe people on here have said that the CFR champ glows that have been available recently on DGV are better and more Gazelle like than the KC Pro Champs. I just bought two of the X-outs a week ago and they definitely start out a little more stable than even the tourney stamped (flatter) DX ones I have but not hugely so. I'm probably going to do a bunch of field throwing tomorrow so I'll get a better idea then of how they compare.

Keep me posted. Based on your posts, we're in a similar power range and I am looking at moving to PDs for main drivers and want the Gazelles to fit nicely between the PDs and mids. Just like you!

josser said:
Would it be reasonable to consider them a long overstable mid?
Yeah, but there are way better options. I don't think the disc is bad, it's just that there are other discs that are way better. For example, if you want a long, overstable mid I'd go for the Blaze or Whippet instead. I'd pick a Banshee or EXP1 over the Champ Gazelles, too.

we're in a similar power range and I am looking at moving to PDs for main drivers and want the Gazelles to fit nicely between the PDs and mids.
DX Gazelles will be perfect. If you must have high end discs why not use Cyclones instead? They're supposed to be pretty good in ESP and are in regular production.

garublador said:
josser said:
Would it be reasonable to consider them a long overstable mid?
Yeah, but there are way better options. I don't think the disc is bad, it's just that there are other discs that are way better. For example, if you want a long, overstable mid I'd go for the Blaze or Whippet instead. I'd pick a Banshee or EXP1 over the Champ Gazelles, too.

we're in a similar power range and I am looking at moving to PDs for main drivers and want the Gazelles to fit nicely between the PDs and mids.
DX Gazelles will be perfect. If you must have high end discs why not use Cyclones instead? They're supposed to be pretty good in ESP and are in regular production.

I really like the DX Gazelles and am happy to hang out in baseline plastic land. I like being able to pick up the same mold in a different plastic and have it be able compliment the original plastic.

josser said:
Keep me posted. Based on your posts, we're in a similar power range and I am looking at moving to PDs for main drivers and want the Gazelles to fit nicely between the PDs and mids. Just like you!

Unfortunately after I was done doing my mid and putter throws my shoulder and ankle were feeling a little tender so I only did one throw with drivers but I got pretty decent info from it regardless. I threw two fresh DX Gazelles (175g slightly flatter, 171g normal done) and two glow champ Gazelles (170 and 175g). Flat release, normal power, no wind to speak of.

All four flew pretty similar. Flat for about 75% of the flight before starting to fade pretty strongly. The DX ones went 270 and 275 feet, the glows 270 and 280 feet. Any differences in stability and glide were not noticeable to me. I've never thrown a champ KC Pro to compare but these champ glows seem pretty similar to fresh DX.

For reference, my other DX ones (all broken in to some degree) went 280 and 290 feet (straight flights) and the ones that flew on tight S-curves went 305 and 310.

JimW said:
Unfortunately after I was done doing my mid and putter throws my shoulder and ankle were feeling a little tender so I only did one throw with drivers but I got pretty decent info from it regardless. I threw two fresh DX Gazelles (175g slightly flatter, 171g normal done) and two glow champ Gazelles (170 and 175g). Flat release, normal power, no wind to speak of.

All four flew pretty similar. Flat for about 75% of the flight before starting to fade pretty strongly. The DX ones went 270 and 275 feet, the glows 270 and 280 feet. Any differences in stability and glide were not noticeable to me. I've never thrown a champ KC Pro to compare but these champ glows seem pretty similar to fresh DX.

For reference, my other DX ones (all broken in to some degree) went 280 and 290 feet (straight flights) and the ones that flew on tight S-curves went 305 and 310.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I might have to make room for champs!

(Note, this is for the KC Pro 11x's, I haven't thrown one of the newer CFR's.)

They go real straight and fade consistently, don't turnover, and hold up to windy conditions really well. They're awesome for forehand rollers and approach tomahawks, and if your forehand is good enough to use when you're in trouble but has some flaws, a champ Gazelle is a decent crutch.

The trouble with them is that they're really, really durable. The flight I used to love from a seasoned DX gazelle didn't really start to happen until it had a fair amount of dings and scratches. I imagine it would years of abusive, daily use to get a champ Gazelle to that shape. Mine never got to the point where they lost enough high speed stability to be as versatile as a DX.

This might not be a perfect analogy, but its relationship to regular Gazelles might be something along the lines of a C-PD's relationship to P-PD's. Not the same disc, used for totally different (mostly utility) shots, but from the same mold.

chiggins said:
(Note, this is for the KC Pro 11x's, I haven't thrown one of the newer CFR's.)

They go real straight and fade consistently, don't turnover, and hold up to windy conditions really well. They're awesome for forehand rollers and approach tomahawks, and if your forehand is good enough to use when you're in trouble but has some flaws, a champ Gazelle is a decent crutch.

The trouble with them is that they're really, really durable. The flight I used to love from a seasoned DX gazelle didn't really start to happen until it had a fair amount of dings and scratches. I imagine it would years of abusive, daily use to get a champ Gazelle to that shape. Mine never got to the point where they lost enough high speed stability to be as versatile as a DX.

This might not be a perfect analogy, but its relationship to regular Gazelles might be something along the lines of a C-PD's relationship to P-PD's. Not the same disc, used for totally different (mostly utility) shots, but from the same mold.

Thanks chiggins. When I break down and by some C-PDs I will probably also break down and buy some Champ Gazelles.

Latest posts