• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell me what I'm still doing wrong

JoeChill

Bogey Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyXobyT9eo

So this is the form that I'm pretty ok with right now. It's repeatable, accurate, and not stressing my knees or anything, but I'm to the point where I honestly don't know what to tweak. I feel like I'm getting the disc really close to my body and have good wrist extension. I'm getting consistent, audible snap on basically all my discs, but still can't really break 420 with any real consistency. I'm trying too damn hard in this video, but I'd been playing all day and was just tired and trying to get some stuff on film. What I can see is that I still need to get my shoulders squared to the basket faster, and that I'm coming off my chest with the disc too quickly, but I have a hard time thinking that is the only difference between 420 and 600. I have a slight nose-up problem as well, but that may end up being permanent due to my arthritis and carpal tunnel in my wrists. Anyway, any help you can offer would be great. Thanks!

Straight up, I don't throw 420'. And my max is currently 386. But i have a weeny of all noodle arms and have gotten my distance from tweaking my form, tips learned and acquired from this website. With that said, here is my advice.

Your drive at 1:30 looks to be the best form. But the video shows your reach back is way too fast and too high. It's causing you to pull through across the top of your chest instead of below your, umm, right nipple. Relax on your reachback and bring it down low. real low. and real slow. it will seem absolutely foreign until after 4 or 5 throws, but you'll notice the difference almost right away. When you start your reachback low, it forces your weight forward. your pull through will not be parrallel with your shoulders because your shoulders will now be leaning toward the target (from the forward weight). Your pull through and disc should be slightly below your right nipple. After 10 or so nice and loose throws, do the same low and slow reach back. This time start your pull through relaxed and once the disc gets by your right nipple, put your muscle into it and accelerate through the snap. Your video shows you do have nice snap acceleration, which is probably why you can throw 400'.

1. Hips are going more forward than rotational. Slowing the x-step will help you get the feeling. I don't necessarily mean walk it, but start the x-step walking and then get faster onto the plant foot. Watch the top pros, and you will see their hips don't go very far forward after the hit.

2. Your throwing arm is leading everything. Try beginning the pull with your left shoulder/arm while keeping the right arm relaxed. When you pull with your left shoulder/arm that will bring the disc into your chest naturally and then you pull with the right arm.

3. Looks like you are leaning back about to throw an anny coming into the hit but then finish hyzer. Lean over the disc more with lower reach back. This goes back to dropping the right shoulder on reach back. Again try throwing the left arm up for your reach back and keep the right arm relaxed, just along for the ride, begin the throw with the left shoulder/arm. This should also help fix problemo numero uno.

4. Your next video shoot from behind and slightly left like the vid below.

Watch the hips and and shoulder lean on the hyzer throws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyXobyT9eo

So this is the form that I'm pretty ok with right now. It's repeatable, accurate, and not stressing my knees or anything, but I'm to the point where I honestly don't know what to tweak. I feel like I'm getting the disc really close to my body and have good wrist extension. I'm getting consistent, audible snap on basically all my discs, but still can't really break 420 with any real consistency. I'm trying too damn hard in this video, but I'd been playing all day and was just tired and trying to get some stuff on film. What I can see is that I still need to get my shoulders squared to the basket faster, and that I'm coming off my chest with the disc too quickly, but I have a hard time thinking that is the only difference between 420 and 600. I have a slight nose-up problem as well, but that may end up being permanent due to my arthritis and carpal tunnel in my wrists. Anyway, any help you can offer would be great. Thanks!

only thing i might say is it looks like your releasing the disc early.

gluck on the 600 too! that would be awesome

only thing i might say is it looks like your releasing the disc early.

Thats what #2 be about, the arm leading the throw. The arm is releasing ahead of the shoulders. Its timing the pull. If you watch Brinster's drive you can see his left shoulder lead the throw and then pull with the right arm. This was close to 600'. After I experimented with throwing the left shoulder, I added a lot of snap.

Also will add to #1 the hips are following through anny, so planting the leg 6" or so to the right should help keep planes more hyzer and may help timing.

Thanks for the tips! I will go out today and try some of this for sure. It helped a lot to get my shoulders into throwing long hyzer shots, and I would assume that's why I can throw over 400 on big hyzer lines more comfortably. I'll put some vid up later today, probably.

Okay, here's some vid of my fieldwork today, just focusing on pulling with my shoulder first and using my left shoulder to begin that. I can definitely feel that I'm pulling too early, and it's really obvious from this angle that I'm coming off my chest too early because of that. You can kind of see the flight patterns in some of these, but keep in mind that the camera is on the ground so I'm not really throwing waaay too high. I tend to go for maybe 20-30' max of apex when I'm trying to throw over 400.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CGhm1Fu3CU

getting better, your reach back maximum is low, but your pull through comes up too high. Reason: you're not getting enough weight forward. Check out the screen captures below comparing. notice BB's shoulder angle and torso center of balance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• joechill pullthrough.jpg
    joechill pullthrough.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 35
Looking better especially the camera angle. I do like the 2:45 and the 4:00 ones the most. :thmbup:

1. Hips look better. I'd still plant the right leg a little farther to the right. The x-step looks like you would be going back right to front left of the tee pad which would be for an anny. Try going straighter or even back left to front right of the tee pad. The run-up/x-step can also create oat depending on hyzer/anny or flat throws.

2. Arm/shoulders look a little better but the arm is still beating the shoulders. Looks like you are still actively pulling the disc into the chest. Before you begin to actively pull the disc focus on getting your shoulders farther forward over the knees when the shoulders are 90 degrees from the target. You may pause the arm pull to get the shoulders forward.

3. Shoulder lean looks much better. Once you fix #2 and get the the shoulders/weight forward your throws should get nose down.

2. Arm/shoulders look a little better but the arm is still beating the shoulders. Looks like you are still actively pulling the disc into the chest. Before you begin to actively pull the disc focus on getting your shoulders farther forward over the knees when the shoulders are 90 degrees from the target. You may pause the arm pull to get the shoulders forward.

Bingo

Excellent. That's a hugely helpful analysis, guys. All of the throws felt better and felt like I was getting a lot more power on them. They were not great distance-wise mostly due to nose angle and wrist issues. I haven't got the muscle memory on those down and I'm terrible at not doing things if I'm not actively thinking about them. I'll definitely get out tomorrow and give you guys some more video and work through the tips you've given me.

kachtz, I would love to see some vid of you throwing. It's honestly given me something to work towards seeing how easily (relatively) you have picked up this part of your game. I'm absolutely intending on having 600' of distance by the end of the summer.

The 2:45 drive felt awesome, but it was a banshee, so it wasn't a great flight. I want to say it just held a hyzer line out to around 360 or so. The 4:00 was probably the best, distance-wise, because I actually managed to get some snap onto my pro destroyer. It had an air bounce and just shot out of my hand really well, but I threw it maybe 10ft off the ground, so it made it to around 400 and just sat. If i'd put more air under it, it probably had some potential.

Slow feet, fast arm....

Your form looks fine. You just need to slow your foot work down.

Latest posts