• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell the truth...

I used to carry a large bag with twenty discs... but then I realized one summer day that I didn't need all of those discs. I went back to my small beginners bag and haven't looked back. Now I think it's fun to roll up to a course with my small old bag - strap tied in a knot because the buckle broke - complete with 7 discs... and smash on guys sporting quad-shock duffle-sized bags with bag tags clanging like tin cans behind a newlywed couples car as they pull away from the wedding chapel.
You know who you are... and you know who I am. Hope to see ya soon...
DSCJNKY

I agree. For the longest time, I would just carry 6 discs in my hands and regularly beat people carrying huge bags stuffed with discs. I actually just picked up a Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey bag, and don't really anticipate needing an upgrade anytime soon.

How many of you really score better with a full bag of 15-20 discs. In my conversations with top players around here I find that they have much the same experience I have...5-8 discs seem to do the job for any and all rounds.

We aren't including duplicates in case of loss...

Z

i actually prefer to have a full bag because in the case that i need my whippet (sharp doglegs) i have it and dopnt need to make a disc do what its not designed to.

Ok, I carry aprox 15 discs and use 3, I just like having all those others "in case"........

I carry 15 or so discs most of the time and prefer having the disc for the shot. It makes it much much easier to have the same arm motion all the time and let the disc make the difference.

That said I usually throw 5 or 6 of those all the time and the rest are "specialty" discs.

Also, I played my local course a few weeks ago with only a putter and roc and only shot a few strokes worse than I usually do (and learned some things about my game and the course).

I use 15-20 discs in my bag, and at least use 10 all the time, the others are for special shots but I am always grateful I have em just in case.

I carry 25 discs in my tourney bag. I regularly use about 10 of those discs and there about 15 that I always like to have with me. The rest are in the bag to fill in space and so that I an practice with them when Im out playing.

I'm starting to see that I don't need all the discs I have yet. I am new so it will take some time but I hope to eventually be using the ones that are simply too much disc for me right now.

I found myself using 5 discs today and I carried 9 around. I simply felt really good with certain discs, and my score showed it!

I admittedly have too many in my bag (16-17 currently), but I'm constantly "auditioning" various discs, because... well, it's fun.

I carry as many as I can. I don't want to end up in a situation where I am saying to myself, "I wish I had that disc with me." I carry 29 discs in my bag and I can tell you exactly what hole/shot I use each one on. In a tournament setting where you are playing several rounds in a day or more, it is kind of a pain to carry a heavy bag. You can always get a caddy though. I'd say my bag weighs about 25-30 pounds fully loaded. That is really not too bad with the backsaver straps.

Less Discs

Well I used to have a bunch of disc in my bag but recently I switched to only a few. My arm speed increased so a lot of the other discs I was throwing started to anhyzer on me.

I noticed that Aviar Putters are used by all the pros so I stayed with that one after experimenting with wizards, magics, challengers. I really like the Magic SSS because I play around a lot of creeks so they tend to just drop instead of rolling ilke some of the hard discs.

Putters Aviar Pro and Magic SSS

On drivers I have a turnover Avenger SS for turnover straight shots. Valkyrie DX for straight shots with little fade. And an Orc for more fade. Now I started experimenting with the predator for my thumber shot.

Drivers- Avenger SS. Valkyrie, Star Orc, predator in the future.

For my midrange I recently switched to the Millenium QMS for straigh controlled shots, if thrown at hyzer it keeps the hyzer. For left to right shots when I dont want to throw left handed I use the stratus and for fades I have a roc, for a bigger fade I use a sentinell.

So to cap it off.

4 Drivers, 3 midrange and 2 Putters, I carry a standard bag and suits me well.

Now I bought about 5 rocs, 5 millenium QMS, and 4 Valks to practice. And 5 Aviars for putting.

One guy that we play with only throws Z storms in different weights and beat up conditions and he is on the top his game and plays in the top 5 all the time. So that is what made me just concentrate on a few discs.

I tend to practice with close to 20 and play tournaments with about 12....the ones I can trust.

I could get by relatively easy with:

Wraith
Predator
Teebird
Buzzz
Wizard

Thats what I tend to throw, everything else is specialty to some extent and doesnt get thrown on every round.

Sidewinder: Understable
Orc: Overhand approaches
Pig: Approach shots, hyzer putts
Wasp: Headwind mid
Teerex: Long hyzers

putters

All my Putters are 175. I see no reason for a lighter putter except for distance and glide. Which I use my QMS for.

I throw 175 QMS's and have 4 of those and one 167, that is a different throw on its own.

All drivers are 172 + or - few grams

excluding all doubles, I now carry 17, and I will use most of them in a round. I feel a lot better using a variety.

I think the number of discs seems to depend on the course you play. I can play a wide open course and due to minimal shot selection and no need to worry about lost discs I will carry less. Play a wooded monster course with some open holes and you need more shots, you lose more discs, and sometimes my discs flight characteristics change mid round. So you need extra discs and more choices.

Here's my view on disc minimalism:

When you're a new player trying to learn proper form, shot control, disc selection, etc...its best to stick with only a few molds (I'd say putter, midrange, and stable fairway driver). Always, always, always....focus on proper form/technique first, then start branching out into new discs.

Well said, Rusty.

All my Putters are 175. I see no reason for a lighter putter except for distance and glide. Which I use my QMS for.

I throw 175 QMS's and have 4 of those and one 167, that is a different throw on its own.

All drivers are 172 + or - few grams

Dude, if you are looking for float,there is nothing better than a 150. Downwind there is nothing better.

I have 23 discs in my bag, and on my home course I probably use about 12. I prefer to have a wide variety of disc that I know thrown properly will do what I want/need in certain situations. I also play about 12-15 tournaments a year, so I keep my "tournament" discs with me all the time. There may be courses that I may only use 4-5 discs in my bag, but I've played other courses that I may have pulled out almost every disc in my bag. My "GO-TO" discs I have backups for that I keep in an extra bag in my trunk.

Latest posts