• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell the truth...

I carry 21, and last weekend I played 2 of the shorter courses in my area and used 19 of the 21 at least once. I think of my discs more the way a ball golfer would with all his different woods, different irons, different wedges, etc.

I like to have a disc made for each shot rather than making the same disc try to do different things (not that I couldn't) but it also helps me mentally as I am able to throw each disc the same way with the same result.

For example:

Distance Drivers:
extra stable
very stable
stable
straight
understable
very understable

Fairway Drivers:
stable
straight
understable

Mid-Range:
stable
straight
understable

Putter
less than 30'
30'-75'
over 75'

But that is just the way I like to play.

I usually carry 8-10 discs

3 drivers
3 midrange
2 putters

Each are of the same mold so I only have 3 molds just different states of wear. I just recently added a medium beat Python for those gliding anhyzers. I probably need a better into the wind driver and a fairway driver as well.

I usually use 4 discs, but use 7-8 depending on how I'm throwing a disc or testing another. (Play like crap - switch up the disc) I had upwards to 12 in a bag, but if your throwing a disc well, I think you tend to gravitate back to it, so I just kept parring things down until I had my driver, mid-range, putter, and speciality disc. What else do you really need? I think your stance, flight level, and technique is more important anyway since you can really make one disc do a variety of things. Could just be me I guess.

I think it's better for newer players to carry less discs so they can concentrate on the basics IMO. Once they get better and aren't plagued by consistency issues, a full arsenal of discs really comes in handy. I don't use all the discs I carry at any one course. But with the 23 I have in my bag, I think I can take on any course in any wind without switching out anything.

been playing for 15 years and i carry 5-8...never thought i needed any more(unless a new or difficult course)..i see way too many "noobs" carrying 20 and not throwing any well...learn what you have..you dont have to have the next big "thing"

I usually carry 8-10 discs

3 drivers
3 midrange
2 putters

Each are of the same mold so I only have 3 molds just different states of wear. I just recently added a medium beat Python for those gliding anhyzers. I probably need a better into the wind driver and a fairway driver as well.

that's pretty much my bag theory, too. multiple discs in the same mold with slightly different flight characteristics due to wear or even color.

i have a bunch of plastic (~20 discs) in my "bag" so to speak (i.e. ready for play, not old/retired discs or ones i don't like), but most are backups / duplicates so i usually take about 10-11 on the course.

6 drivers
2-3 mids
2 short / putter

I was/am one who likes to try new discs all the time or as much as my wife will allow me to buy. I really only use 3 drivers, 2 mid range and 1 putter

Wraith
Beast
An x-out that i dont know what it is

Buzzz
Wasp

Wizard.

BUt like i said before i do carry over 20 discs.

i carry 9 different discs ranging from overstable to understable. this does apply to my drivers, mids, and putters. i do have multiples and different weights so i carry a total of 22 discs. so no matter what course or what conditions i am prepared for everything. i did do some experimenting untill i found the discs that were right for me then i bought multiples and took the discs out that i didnt throw.

I have 18 discs in a bag in my trunk that can cover just about any shot, so that I am always ready for a round. I can usually slim this down to about 6 discs that are geared to a specific course. But since I never know which course I'm going to be playing, and I have the big bag anyway, I pack all 18 with me.

I like to bring all my discs in my bag, but slim down and leave some in the car depending on the course and what i really thing I'll need. Usually I have about 10 discs and Ill only bring around 5 r so with me, but I dont like lugging around all of them unless I know I'll want them. I usually play the same courses so I know what discs I'll need for the day. Really, I prefer only using 3-5 discs and getting really used to throwing them before I go and buy more because there's no use in buying discs until you've mastered what you have.

I've spent over $1200 on discs, bags, etc. for myself and my son since I started.

I am obviously missing the concept of stimulating the economy......I've spent maybe $120 in a year. That is for discs for me, my son, and my wife:confused: What on earth did you buy?

5 discs. 2 drivers (one is a back-up), 2 midrange, 1 putter. If I take anything more it just complicates things.

Last edited:
I'm kinda the same way, but I can see how people want to have the perfect disc for the perfect shot in any situation and if you like to play like that, good for you. I like to master a disc before i would buy another in its class. (class meaning like driver, midrange, put) I feel more control and more accuracy if I stick to a couple discs, but once i get some money I'm looking to get a new driver or two as mines getting pretty beaten up.

The above post makes a lot of sense. i typically play two courses; a very tight and long wooded course and a relatively short open course. When I play the wooded course, I carry about 18 discs (6 drivers, 10 mid-ranges and three putters) and i usually use every disc in the course of the round. When i paly the open course, I use only 8 discs (three drivers, three mid-ranges and two putters).
It all depends...

I carry 20 discs but could easily get by with a Wizard, Comet, and Teebird. For whatever reason I like having a bunch of discs with me.

i cannot fathom needing 10 midranges.

i personally can't see needing more than 3 of any one class of disc. one over stable, one stable, and one under stable for drivers, and then for mids. and i can't see needing more than one putter. those 7 discs are all i would need to carry. and in actuality i don't even need that many. i will say that i usually take a couple extra just in case i loose a disc. but i don't think i ever really take more than about 8-10 discs out.

i leave all my discs in my trunk. and when i get to a course i'll stock my bag with the 7-10 discs that i feel like throwing that day. mainly they stay the same. but once in a while i like to toss in a new one or two to try a different flavor, just to see if i like it. if you don't do that once in a while how do you find new discs to love? i've had to do that more and more since my old fav's have started to become OOP :(

All of this being said, and I go out and shoot one of the best 36 hole rounds of my life without my best two drivers. That tells me that the more options you have out there the better. Then it comes down to what is the best decision at that point in time.

All of this being said, and I go out and shoot one of the best 36 hole rounds of my life without my best two drivers. That tells me that the more options you have out there the better. Then it comes down to what is the best decision at that point in time.

Nice dice! options are great.... endless possibilities....its up to us to make that choice (in time).... thats what quantum physics is telling us. On the other hand I've seen guys w/ 3 discs in hand go out on the course and put quite the whippn' on a bunch of very good players. To each his own. There really are literally millions of ways to get to that basket..... each of them being equally amazing.