• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terrible tournament

Now that I think about it, I could personally fill this thread....

....among my other notables was an 812-rated round, only because it was the first round in a 4-man Team Play event, so I was really letting down my team, which happened to also be my brothers....

And the one that I took a 5-stroke lead into the 4th round, and fell all the way out of the cash.

You forgot to mention bad for everyone around you. Strep is highly contagious and I would be seriously pissed if someone was selfish enough to show up and play with a contagious illness!

Do you ever have anything positive to say? I went to the dr on Friday to start antibiotics and she said I was no longer contagious. I wouldn't have played if I was.

I probably shouldn't have played, but it was a Father's Day gift from my wife. I've been married since high school and we have 2 kids. If there is any way we can find a whole day together I jump at the chance. I would rather have a bad rating than take that quality time with my wife away.

I was really just curious if anyone had ever had a part of their game just fall off like that. I can't explain how bad my putting was. I hit putts inside of 20' 98% of the time. I was 0 for 15 and hit the pan everytime. It was comical by the end.

....among my other notables was an 812-rated round, only because it was the first round in a 4-man Team Play event, so I was really letting down my team, which happened to also be my brothers....

And the one that I took a 5-stroke lead into the 4th round, and fell all the way out of the cash.

You are making me feel a little better lol. I've had terrible rounds before. It's just that this course is wide open. I usually fall apart in trees. There isn't a tree in the fairway out there. And no wind.....

I switched from push putting to a straddle spin putt last night. I could probably turbo putt at this point and it would be an improvement.

this entire spring has been rough. Allergies, sinus infections, a bout with heat exhaustion or something... But I was stupid and played tournaments, big ones, even though I wasn't 100%. I think I'm finally better, so maybe I can put 3-4 rounds together again.

So my question is, have y'all ever had a tournament round were you just couldn't get something to work? Putting, driving, mid range? And how did y'all get over it?

lol... my rating details and you will see scores all over the place. :)

Over the course of 6 rated rounds, I'm from 801 up to 936, and overall rated 887. That bad round was quite possibly the worst round I've played in the last two years. Felt like my arm wasn't even attached to my body.

I played a tourney a couple months ago & it was probably the worst I've played since I started. My then rating was 950 & I shot rounds of 816 & 897. Not the greatest moment in my DG career!!!

Strep stinks. I went to a tournament in Tenessee this spring. Sore throat prior to the event, so I went to the doc before leaving. They said not strep even though I was suspicious. Horrible sore throat every swallow all weekend long. Got back and was worse. Went back to the emergency care and guess what? It was strep after all. Yes, I shot poorly. This story has bored me to type so I think I am going to see if Yahoo has any new science articles.

Good and bad rounds come and go. I played my second tournament ever and missed at least 4 putts inside 10 feet. I was stupid nervous, got all bunched up in the buttal region when putting. I have since learned to relax and have a little fun, that helps. Kind of hard to just forgoe the tournament after putting up 50 bucks and making the plans to go.

And I didn't mean to belittle an 845 rated round. I've been there. I just should of had a 950 rated on both rounds.

No worries. I actually found the comparison humorous. I could up that rating if I worked on my putting. I'm starting to get birdie opportunities on 320' to 350' holes which was rare a few months ago. I just keep missing the putts!

I have yet to play in a tourney, but you and a few others here are piquing my interest. Maybe I'll hit up the mini at Audubon soon.

I have similar story. Played in a 3 round tourney in Mississippi a few months ago. Got up way early before the tourney and praxticed on the 2 courses i would play that day, shooting -8 and -10 respectively..First round comes and the course i shot 8 down on turned into -3, so i wasn't too happy but also not upset, next round is the course I kno I can smash, shooting an avg of 10 down there. Somehow i managed to be close to the lead so i was on the chase card for the second round, I fell apart on this easy course that I can shoot under blindfolded. I hit every tree, rock, roll away opportunity, you name it. I ended up +13 on the round on the course i had just smashed out 10 down on not 4 hours prior. Next day I'm on the LAST card, pick myself up and end up jumping from dead last to last cash spot on the round. Point is, it happens, it's how you recover from it that defines you as a player.

No worries. I actually found the comparison humorous. I could up that rating if I worked on my putting. I'm starting to get birdie opportunities on 320' to 350' holes which was rare a few months ago. I just keep missing the putts!

I have yet to play in a tourney, but you and a few others here are piquing my interest. Maybe I'll hit up the mini at Audubon soon.

I love tournaments! I've only played three this year because of time constraints. Your first tournament should be at a course you know. The competition is what brings me back. It's worth it.

I have had a couple of tournaments like this. I am a 958 rated player and on this day I shot two ~900 rounds. Not as bad statistically as a few of the blow ups mentioned on this thread.

The defining point of this horrible tourney came on a short 150' hole. It was an island green that sloped deep with a pond behind the basket. The slope was steep enough to require a small wood fixture to hold the basket upright so it wouldn't lean. The tourney was played stroke and distance style, so if you were OB you had to re-tee with the stroke penalty. I had taken a 5 on said hole in the first round because I went OB on my first tee shot, so at lunch I told myself I would figure it out and make sure I got a 2 or a 3 on it.

So the time comes during the 2nd round to throw described hole. I throw a beautiful shot. Just like I practiced. As it flew my envisioned line, I thought to myself, "Okay you still got it, you can turn this tourney around." I looked at the flagger, waiting for him to give me the inevitable "green in-bounds flag" because I knew I was parked. The flag didn't come right away. Why wasn't he giving me an in bounds signal? What was he looking at on the ground? It turns out, my shot hit the wood fixture holding the basket up and it rolled all the way down into the pond. After that happened I resigned to the idea that it just wasn't my day.

I like to think you can't experience the the competition "highs" without enduring some of the "lows". Just remember that often times the challenge and the competition of the game itself, even without opponents, is what makes the game so captivating.

Best thing to do is let it go. It does absolutely no good to carry the weight of past performances with you. Learn from it what you must but there is no need to hold on to it.

I'm more of a sovereignty over luck kind of guy but having a few fortunate breaks vs bad breaks makes a huge difference. If not for good luck FH players would never win. /wink.

Latest posts