• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tester Walls Pics/discussion

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
You know the walls in front of a basket at just the range to deny any skip or slide under the bsket...but instead force a longer putt known as a "tester"

I'd like to see some pics..examples..links

What material, how high, how far from basket, how big, any encircle the entire green....and so on

Any unique tester walls out there?
Whats an appropriate distance from the basket for gold/blue/red/white/etc

Ditto, I have no clue what you're looking for here Opti. :\

Methinks it's like when you have the basket mounted on a platform or raised area that's big enough to stop discs from sliding to the basket from 20-ish feet away?

Is this a practice set-up type thingy or more something that appears on courses?

do you mean like guardian bush or treelimb that wont let your disc go through therefore leaving you a "tester" putt(or one that you might miss.... not a GIMME)?? i could be way off haha

Chili DGC outside Rochester has I think 2 holes like that. There aren't any pics on this site. There may be some on their club site.

See Chili DGC holes 8, 12, 13 and 15. Some are haybales, on has a split rail fence and others are woodchip piles.

Here they are

Hole 17 Lime Bluff
picture.php

Hole 14 Hickory Run
picture.php

Hole 10 Nockamixon
picture.php

Opti,

Would you consider Hole #9 Sunnyside at the Blockhouse to be a tester wall? The entire pin is surrounded by a fence. You can still go through it but over is the easiest route.

There is a course near here where the grass is so thick its almost impossible to get a skip or slide. Once your disc hits the ground it just stops. None of the greens are close enough to danger that going for it and missing would cause major problems.

There is one hole where the lake looks a lot closer than it actually is and causes more of a mental hazard than an actual hazard.

I don't have photos at hand, but Earlewood has a couple of these. They are in part erosion control, but were located about 25' short of basket so the discs they stopped would have a makeable, but not gimme putt.

One was built from landscape timbers and backfilled with mulch. It's on a slope, ranging from 6-18" high. Another is a landscape timber staked to the ground but, on a steep uphill shot, it stops low throws that hit the hill from sliding to the basket.

Opti,

If you have those, I'd consider them to be "shot forcers" (not that that is a bad idea). Just be aware that that's what you're doing when you have such. Or, more precisely, "shot selection narrow-downers" :D ! Part of the neatness of dg is the dilemma of "HOW do I get from here to there", and anything that man places there specifically to prohibit you from selecting a certain type of shot takes this aspect away from it. I'll never forget years ago (my 2nd IB ever, 8th hole at Buzzy's): Box holder parks it with a rhbh, I park it with a rhfh, 3rd guy thumbers it and parks it (we only had a 3-some). I said, "WOW, there are MANY ways to skin a cat...".
Selection(s) are a good thing.

Karl
Ps: Unless, of course, it is your (as a course designer) goal to "limit" selections throughout the course somewhat equally and set up more of a "learn different shots" type of course, etc.

My understanding of what he's talking about is that the goal (and even the effect to some extent) isn't to limit shot selection but rather to increase the likelihood that you'll have to actually putt.

The rumor is that Stan cut the pine across the fairway of #9 Hornets nest to stop skips. It has since degraded to mulch.

BRP has a really good one on hole 26 but there is no updated pic of it.