• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 13-year cicadas have the teebox

So...Um Cicaddas or no?

• No way, I’m playing with those things!

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Maybe…

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I’ll probably just go and play anyway.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Bugs! I ain’t afraid of no stinking bugs.

Votes: 60 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had to look them up. We don't get those buggers up here.

170px-Cicada_molting_animated-2.gif

I ate one last summer that had just hatched from it's skin. It was nice and soft, and quite a mouthfull, but I got it down. It had a mild flavor that would lend itself well to butter and garlic. Not bitter at all, as I thought it would be.

Yes, there was beer involved.

I remember these in 98, was ridiculous. But, for those too lazy to look at the article, this answers all your questions. Of course I'll play, and they're already out in my area as well.
The 13-year cicadas of what is known as Brood XIX (the 19th brood) have been living underground since 1998. That was the last time they held their famous two-month, above-ground mating frenzy.

Brood XIX, also known as the Great Southern Brood, is the country's largest group of 13-year cicadas, stretching across 12 states, including Missouri, South Carolina, Oklahoma and Illinois. Already rising in some parts of Georgia, they should all be hatched by mid-May.

These periodical cicadas emerge in 17- and 13-year cycles and shouldn't be confused with a variety of cicadas that can be heard every summer. There are three broods of 17-year cicadas, one of which will appear in the summer of 2017. Brood XIX will next rise in 2024.

I don't think they hang out for to long, so I would probably wait for them to die or move on before I play.

So, if I'm planning a trip to OH/KY/WV/VA in the beginning of June, this is what I have to look forward to? A massive swarm??

I don't think they hang out for to long, so I would probably wait for them to die or move on before I play.
Too lazy to even read my post after I quoted the article? Around 2 months, should all be hatched by May. That was so much easier to just ask the question instead of reading the article, or even the thread for that matter.

Too lazy to even read my post after I quoted the article? Around 2 months, should all be hatched by May. That was so much easier to just ask the question instead of reading the article, or even the thread for that matter.

WTF are you talking about? I'm responding to the poll, not your post. Mabye if you made more sense? And I didn't ask a Question!?!

Last edited:
You're starting to make sense. But if you want a flame war, bring it.

they busted out big time in Kentucky summer of 2008 i think it was, they looked like extra bark on all the trees

I remember the last time they were out and about.

Was on my way to Minnesota with the family on the highway.

So loud and never-ending.

I heard somewhere that they produce the volume equivalent to 18 semi's on the highway.

170px-

I went out in the yard to put some netting over our newly planted apple trees yesterday. These husks, from where the cicadas hatch are on everything. It won't be long now...

Wow I don't think we get those around here. Ugly things

I know 2-3 years ago during the tournament in Asheville we had these things out. Sounded like there was a tornado coming towards you all weekend it was nuts.

Latest posts