• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2012 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

No I don't think so. Mine are still out of order

Nothing you can do when someone complains until the next event. Best organizers take criticisms as constructive and make the even better the next time. No need to justify himself now... just do what can be done next time.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks :)

I think everybody needs to take a chill pill and just wait

17910485.jpg

One minor thing to consider for next year, it didn't say anywhere in the registration that the players' pack shirt had a women's option. That by itself wouldn't be a huge deal, except that many (most?) of the women ordered based on men's sizes and ended up with too small shirts and no option to swap for a larger size or the men's size that would fit.

We did order all of the women who registered in time as womens shirts.

Any one who wants to push the PDGA into fixing the rating system to handle bigger events feel free to do so, my hands seem to be tied on working to fix the ratings.

Next year likely changes: PDGA membership will be required prior to signing up (lots of problems with players who did not know thay had to be members)
Will ask the PDGA to make it a major (requires rules exam - lots of players just do not know rules of play - way off in many calls)
Will shift tee times to earlier on Friday (more time for playing vendors to set up fly mart) and Sat am (more time between rounds - top advanced pools playing two hardest courses had long rounds)

One cosideration: more players package and less payout. The chance to introduce a few more new manufactures AND have them involved in the week. Some of the other big events are going trophy only. As someone tried to figure out, we split your entry fee 30 to the 5 big players package items (disc and shirt) and 30 to the payout. We raise funds to cover trophys, bbq dinner, tent, flymart rental items, lots of OB paint, PDGA fees, park fees, and etc.

Again, thanks to all for playing, thanking me and the staff personally and in many e-mails, and for seeing me on the rest of the tour now that I play a bit of advanced so I do not have to play the same old dudes trying to win their $50 (I will do side bets if we meet on the course . . . )

thanks to all for playing, thanking me and the staff personally and in many e-mails

...and I'll thank you here...

Thanks HB and all the volunteers for all your hard work!!

Thinking ahead to next year already - April 1, 2013 falls on a Monday. Do you know at this point if 2013 BG Ams will be Mar 29,30,31 -or- Apr 5,6,7 ??

One cosideration: more players package and less payout. The chance to introduce a few more new manufactures AND have them involved in the week. Some of the other big events are going trophy only. As someone tried to figure out, we split your entry fee 30 to the 5 big players package items (disc and shirt) and 30 to the payout. We raise funds to cover trophys, bbq dinner, tent, flymart rental items, lots of OB paint, PDGA fees, park fees, and etc.

I'm sure that I don't understand the behind the scenes reasons for this consideration but I would certainly prefer the opposite. I know that we basically get all our registration money back (or more) once we check in and receive our players pack but aside from that the payout for this tournament is very low. I like the idea of this huge event being a "high stakes" event. Like a shirt and a disc for everyone and then the MA1 winner gets $1000 payout. That would be unheard of! Top 10 guys are getting $200+, etc. Or maybe you involve your big sponsors in some way. The winner gets $500 and a spot on the Discraft team for 1 year, etc.

Perhaps the way it is now is more in the true spirit of the amateur player. Everyone comes and has a great experience, everyone goes home with something. For me personally, I come because the competition is excellent and the tournament simulates a bigger/high pressure professional tournament which is good preparation for the future. So I would love to see it become more of the "go big or go home" type of tournament. With more on the line (payout), winning this event would be even more prestigious and perhaps it would have the ability to draw the top ams from all over the country/world; even Worlds doesn't do that.

MA1 winner in the Michigan state championship took home $719, second place $512.
Not trying to knock bowling green, just saying.

MA1 winner in the Michigan state championship took home $719, second place $512.

:eek::eek::eek:

How many in the field? I know I've gotten 100+ in a c-tier with a field of around 12. Big payouts are always nice, but not what bowling green has evolved around.

I (and I know many agree with me) enjoy looking forward to an awesome players pack and being treated well at the players party (food, etc). I think this helps bring large numbers to the event.

Garrett,

I respectfully disagree with you.
First of all, the winner of this tournament, along with probably the top 10-20 players should be playing pro, so I don't think you should condone them playing advanced to win a lot of merchandise to which they don't need.
The second and bigger reason is if you take away the majority of the players pack, the lower level advanced will play intermediate, and the lower level intermediate will play rec.

I don't think there would be as many people travelling from far distances. BG Am champs is known for its big players pack and I feel that is a lot of the reason people come to play.

Look at the forum the two weeks prior to the tournament, people were raving about the possibilities of what will be in the players pack.
People like free stuff just for participating.

:eek::eek::eek:

How many in the field?

95 in ma1
I've never played bg ams but just from reading this thread I can tell its a good time and has more to do with the social aspect then it does payout and that's cool.

It just struck me as odd when I saw the payout and limited prize selection for such a huge tournament.
Hopefully I'll be able to afford it someday because it really does sound fun :D

Garrett,

I respectfully disagree with you.
First of all, the winner of this tournament, along with probably the top 10-20 players should be playing pro, so I don't think you should condone them playing advanced to win a lot of merchandise to which they don't need.
The second and bigger reason is if you take away the majority of the players pack, the lower level advanced will play intermediate, and the lower level intermediate will play rec.

I don't think there would be as many people travelling from far distances. BG Am champs is known for its big players pack and I feel that is a lot of the reason people come to play.

Look at the forum the two weeks prior to the tournament, people were raving about the possibilities of what will be in the players pack.
People like free stuff just for participating.

You hit the nail on the head. I traveled 4 hours to get to BG. The #1 reason I participate in this tourney is for the great players pack. There are several other reasons this tourney is the best of the year for me, but if the players pack was reduced to the size of one you would get at any other tourney (which is usually one disc) I would not go.

I agree that the BG Ams experience is about much more than the payouts. Besides, what would you do with a $500 or more merchandise credit other than perhaps buy a practice basket (or two).

If for some reason you want to increase payouts, then pay fewer players in each division.

Sponsorship by Discraft for a year if you win. I would love to see this just so I could win then turn them down.

Tom (Roltgen?), what criteria do you use to determine whether someone should be "playing pro"?

Latest posts