• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The absolute BEST course between Kearney, NE and Madison, WI

klay

Eagle Member
Me, my wife and a friend of ours are road tripping from our home in Colorado to Madison, WI for the 2016 PDGA Amateur World Championships in a couple weeks and need a course recommendation to help us break up the trip!

Its looking like we'll be heading out after work on Thursday the 7th and trying to get to Kearney, NE. We'll hotel there, then make the rest of the trip on Friday the 8th.

We'll be rolling through Omaha (already played Hummel so strike that from the list), Des Moines, Cedar Rapids (or Davenport if there's something amazing we can't miss out on...) and Dubuque.

I want to know what one, single, solitary, can't miss course we need to get to on that route between cities. We aren't scared by length or difficulty. The more challenging the better. Thanks!

I'm thinking Camden II in the Quad Cities (Milan, IL). You don't want to play West Lake before Worlds to avoid losing plastic.

Yeah, I could agree with Camden II. So many other great options, I could list 20 courses that are worth playing, bug if I could only choose one, Camden II stands out.

Wildcat bluff is also a great course, though it would bring you a bit off of your cedar rapids route.

Both courses are kind of similar in many awesome ways and are great if you like long wooded challenging holes. Now if you like more open long bomber courses you'll be looking more along the lines of West Lake or Pickard...

A number of good courses are close to the route you are taking, I'll list my favorites from each area.

Des Moines: Walnut Ridge
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City: Wildcat
Quad Cities: Camden 2

Each area I highlighted probably has 3 courses worth playing.

If you're taking this route, then Camden II would be a little out of the way. Not much though. That being said, I'd recommend Treasure Cove(Council Bluffs), Sunnyside(Atlantic), Walnut(Des Moines) or Camden II(Quad Cities). All four courses are really fun. Unfortunately, Nebraska is lacking courses that are really good. Their highest rated course is actually a bit of a train wreck, just played it a few days ago.

A number of good courses are close to the route you are taking, I'll list my favorites from each area.

Des Moines: Walnut Ridge
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City: Wildcat
Quad Cities: Camden 2

Each area I highlighted probably has 3 courses worth playing.

Exactly this.

I lean towards Wildcat. If you camp, Wildcat has camping on site. Two overnights for me this season so far in primitive along #1 fairway. (Walnut and Camden have close camping options too)

There's one near Des Moines ... something about a bear ... or maybe a creek ... that I enjoyed more than Walnut. Didn't seem like it'd be as busy, either.

There's one near Des Moines ... something about a bear ... or maybe a creek ... that I enjoyed more than Walnut. Didn't seem like it'd be as busy, either.

Big Creek. Character on much of the front changed dramatically with State Parks clearing out the dense undergrowth this year leaving trees and some bush. Most of square footage on the front. Lost the heavy punishment for errant throws along several lines. ...some old man chatter on design tweaks / adding to backside.