• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The ambidextrous dilemma

madman1101

Par Member
I have been playing for about a year now, and have one drawback to my game. I throw LHFH, but RHBH, both throws fade the same direction. I have practiced LHBH and couldn't get any distance out of it. I tried RHFH but almost threw my arm out and had no accuracy. Any tips on practicing either shot? It's an impossible habit to break.

Just keep practicing LHFH and RHBH, while they fade the same way, you might find yourself in a spot at one point or another where one stance works better than the other.

Just keep practicing LHFH and RHBH, while they fade the same way, you might find yourself in a spot at one point or another where one stance works better than the other.

that's what I have been doing, but there's a few holes where I need to have it dogleg right, and all my throws fade left, stance isn't the problem, it's the fade.

Learn to throw understable plastic.

or, I know some guys who throw pancakes (low thumbers that skip right) really well on holes I throw rhfh on with good results.

or, just practice harder on throwing styles you want to be better at. Video yourself and fix issues you see or post to forums for help.

I have been playing for about a year now, and have one drawback to my game. I throw LHFH, but RHBH, both throws fade the same direction. I have practiced LHBH and couldn't get any distance out of it. I tried RHFH but almost threw my arm out and had no accuracy. Any tips on practicing either shot? It's an impossible habit to break.

I do the same thing. If I need something to go right, I tend to throw LHFH as I can get more snap on it to help hold it's line, or throw something under stable like a Leopard RHBH.

this.

i throw LHBH and RHFH when i'm backed up against something and don't have the space to throw backhand. flicking a putter out of the big bush i was in, or gently forehanding one around some trees when i'm backed up off the fairway, has saved me strokes. don't give either up. focus mostly on developing the backhand because it will take you farther in the long run, but keep that opposite hand forehand shot around for those situations that you WILL find yourself in on more "claustrophobic" courses

Learn to throw understable plastic.

this too.

unless it is long, i don't consider anything a "righty" hole because i have flippy sh*t in the bag that i trust and have worked on

Last edited:
I feel your pain as a natural righty who throws LHBH (fairly well) and RHFH (not so well). I've been working a little on RHBH (mainly putting right now), but I think the advice to work on understable discs is a good one. When I played more, I was pretty good with my understable discs. I currently carry a Stingray, three different Leopards, a Beast, and now a Mamba. No, you won't get a nice straight flight that fades right (left for me) just at the end, but you should be able to get to a point where you can minimize the disadvantage on most "righty" holes. For shorter shots, a disc like a Stingray can give you a pretty nice consistent hook. For longer shots, a key is to get the snap and the height just right so that your disc is on the ground before the natural slow speed fade takes over.

I'm naturally left handed, but learned to throw RHBH, so that's my main stance. Therefore my natural LHFH was no benefit to me. There is one hole at my local course that is dogleg right,and deep brush on the left, and it was always a bogey for me. I just spent the winter learning to throw LHBH. I would throw entire rounds LHBH and i'm almost as far, but not quite as accurate. I just practiced a bunch and made it a priority; no matter how embarassing those practice rounds were.

I'm naturally right handed, and only throw right handed, so I don't feel like I can help any of you in this thread but throwing understable plastic sounds like your best bet. If you lack control, then this is the best direction to turn to.

Sometimes I am glad I can only use one arm.
You really shouldn't be throwing your arm out using forehand.

I used to throw rhfh and screwed my elbow up, but alway putted and threw approachs lhbh When I threw my elbow out switched over to lhbh all the time and never really chose to to try and throw rhfh or lhfh. It would be nice to be about to throw all the shots with both hands but I do not have the time to make it work and my game with just one dominant hand is not that good.

I say stick to one hand and get good

I am the same way. What I learned is RHBH for the big (power) throws and LHFH for the more accurate and finnesse shots. Oddly enough I dont have LHFH control on flippy discs, only overstable plastic, however I dont RHBH flippy plastic either............ I have youtube video..my channel is mik280z

Latest posts