• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The bag of a beginner

Taylor

Birdie Member
Stable control driver
-175 Champ Teebird

Understable control driver
-172 Champ Leopard

Stable distance driver
-175 Champ Wraith (fairly beat and farthest flying disc but still fights the wind pretty good)

Understable distance driver
-175 Champ Valk

Stupidly stable driver
-175 Champ Firebird (12x but realllllly flat)

Mids
-173 Z Buzzz
-180 San Marino Roc (beat, holds a nice annie)

Putt n Approach
-175 Soft wizard (only for putting)
-170 DX XD (beat, flips over and doesn't come back

The only thing I'd like is another wizard for driving.

Other than that, I think it covers a variety of shots.

How much of a beginner are you? How far are you throwing each discs? Are you a backhand or forehand player (if both, what's the ratio)? What are the holes in your game/ what do you need improvement at and what do you feel you are good at?

I would need more info to determine if this bag fits.

Started 6 months ago, but I came from Ultimate so throwing a frisbee was familiar.

Wraith/Valk are similar in distance with the Wraith probably being a little farther. Both approaching 400'.

Backhand dominant, forehand is thrown maybe 4 or 5 times a round.

I'd say my game off the tee is better than my putting and my approach game is pretty good. Nothing is really great.
The hardest shot for my is a long gentle anhyzer. The valk is the disc a use for this shot but i find that i either put too much annie and it turns too early or I throw it too high and it starts to fight back. I suppose as it ages it will get better at this shot.

Ok, so you can throw. I was going to suggest ditching the wraith and valk for now, but if you can throw them comfortably and consistently 400'+ then it's probably fine. When you throw them flat (in calm wind) they should turn slightly and then fade at the end, if so you're fine. If form isn't your issue this is a pretty good bag.

The valk is pretty stable driver depending on wear (with a turn of -2 and fade of 2), but as it gets beat in it will turn more. Try the leopard for gentle annys, if thrown flat or slight anny they should hold that line for a while. If you want a true understable disc for long anny's my favorites are the archangel or an avenger ss.

I think you need some more mids, as a beginner, the mid range discs will be your best friend. They reinforce good form, and should be used for most shots 200-350 (depending on your arm). If you like the buzzz i'd suggest getting a buzzz ss for understable mids instead of your roc. If you like the roc more, I'd suggest getting a couple of them. Rocs in a range of different molds and wear will be able to cover almost all mid shots.

Also, the firebird shouldn't be that flat. It should fade pretty hard being pretty overstable.

I would also suggets getting a second wizard, having 2 of the same putters is a good idea, even if it just to make practicing putts easier.

Alright, so after a lot of learning and a lot of trial and error with discs, I think i'm finally figuring out what is working and how I want my bag to look. I've gone through many phases, here is the latest.

Stable control driver
-175 Champ Teebird

Understable control driver
-172 Champ Leopard

Stable distance driver
-175 Star Destroyer, new and very overstable. Good wind disc and will always fade out of an annie

Understable distance driver
-175 DX Wraith, found it on the course and it is a monster hyzer flip disc and will hold a great turnover line. Farthest flying disc.
-171 Pro Destroyer. Not sure if it's going to stay in the bag. can hyzer flip it to flat for a little big but then it fades. Works great on a really high release annie but I can hyzerflip the Wraith on the same line and It's farther. Don't really have a use for it.

Stupidly stable driver
-175 Champ Firebird, starting to wonder if it's too over stable, or if i need to find one that isn't so flat for a little more glide

Mids
-176 KC pro Roc, still stable and holds a great hyzer
-180 Glow roc, seasoned, hyzer flip to flat or turnovers

Putt n Approach
-175 Soft wizard (only for putting)
-170 DX XD (beat, flips over and doesn't come back
-175 Ion, I needed a stable putter and this fits the bill. Can't decide if I'm happy with it or not. I find myself over shooting baskets because of its glide

Also looking at a DX tee bird and Pro leopard for a little more turn, but they aren't in the bag yet.

Anyone see any visible gaps?

I haven't found a distance driver that flies like my fairway drivers but longer. I'm on the hunt for something that behaves like a champ leopard but longer, (little hyzerflip, maybe a little turn to the right (RHBH) and then a gentle fade back left. Not a hooking spike into the ground that I see with a lot of distance drivers when they start to slow down. But then again I'd throw a tee bird on this shot.

I don't have a true distance hyzer disc as the tee bird is a fairway driver and the *Destroyer is too over stable to be thrown without anhyzer.

A Beast could cover hyzer disc and longer fairway disc roles in one disc. The thing about the newer Beasts is that they need anny release to fly anny because they don't flip.
S TDs vary and the more overstable high parting line ones cover the hyzers and flatter lower PLH ones do annies.

You throw far for a new player congratulations.

Not as far as the guys on here throwing 500+ on flat lines.

I guess I'm looking for the proverbial "longer Teebird"

could one of the new beasts do that?

star wraith?
star SL?
OLF?

A new not so much drooping outside edge Beast could absolutely do that except the Beasts don't flip as easily for me as TBs. Wraith ain't much longer because it fades out early. SL is a milder fade slower Wraith and shorter. OLF is the slowest and shortest. Beast is the king of distance at speed 10 thanks to the glide and lack of fade. River is the king of distance for slower discs. For the same reasons except the glide is even more pronounced.

Sounds like the disc i'm looking for. Faster than a Tbird, slow fade and little to no high speed turn.

Champ or star?

Pro unless you play on rocky courses then the champ. Pro in Beast is fairly durable. At least in the ones i have.

Latest posts