• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Bag of Brodysseus

Brodysseus

* Ace Member *
Vitals-
Experience: 3-4 years (very casual), 5 months (very serious)

Throwing Style: RHBH, some overhand/flick rollers for recovery/utility

Distances: VP (210'/225'), Ibex (260'/275'), Trak (310'/325'), Lace/Valkyrie (~315'/~350', plus or minus 20-30 feet, very inconsistent)

Sex: Male

Injuries: Previous back injuries, doesn't affect game, just easy for me to tighten up

Proficiencies: Baseball, Hockey, Ball Golf

Feedback I'm looking for: I really just want to slim my bag down. I just got a Fade tourney a few weeks ago, so it was fun to have all my discs at my fingertips on the course. However, now that I had the fun with that, I'd really just like to trim the fat out of the bag. Also looking for advice for headwind/overstable discs in all slots except for putters (VP has it on lock).*

Goals: More consistent distance, better line shaping (not relying on so many molds), and better putting (always, always, always looking for better putting).

The Bag:

Distance Drivers:
Proto Lace x1 (170g, medium, flippy version, 9.5/10) - slight Hyzer flip to straight, consistently hitting 325'+ but accuracy isn't quite there

Champion Monster x1 (170g, 7/10)- Headwind driver, a little beat in, but still extremely overstable

Star Valkyrie x1 (168g, 6/10)- Distance turnovers, hyzer flips to a good hard turn. Possibly a little too beat in and overlaps with the Lace and Trak, but it was the first disc I ever bought, so it has sentimental value

Fairway Drivers:
Ascent x2 (175g, 169g, both medium, 9.5/10)- Slight overstable drivers. Good control drivers for left finishes and slight headwinds. The 175 is fairly beefy but can't handle stronger headwinds. The 169 is a good slightly overstable compliment to my Traks.

Trak x3 (173g firm 9/10, 170g firm 9.5/10, 164 medium 9.5/10)- Control drivers, 170g is main driver, 164g is easier to turnover and power down obviously, the 173g was good for slight winds, but I think the extra stability from the weight might beat out soon.

Midranges:
Obex x1 (178g medium 9.5/10)- Overstable mid. Pretty darn beefy, but maybe not quite beefy enough for the harshest of winds whipping across the central Illinois plains?

Ibex x3 (171g medium 9.5/10, 169g medium 10/10, 165g soft 9.5/10)- Primary mid, I think the 169g is gonna replace the 171g which is my main/favorite mid, which is unfortunately a light green color that makes it hard to find, even in the middle of the fairway. The 169 should be here tomorrow but I don't know if I'll be able to pull the 171g, I love it so much. I love the soft too, it stops on a dime.

Putters:
VP x4 (174g Firm, firm, and medium 9/10, 166g Firm 10/10)- Primary Putter, I love this mold. Awesome in the circle, awesome for approaching, and awesome for driving. The 174s will all be in my bag, possibly forever. I like the firms for putting,*I use the medium when it gets colder. The 166 can probably go, but I do like it a lot off the tee when the winds are down... I just liked the mold so much I wanted to try it in a different weight.

Ridge x2 (171 soft 8/10, 167 medium)- Upshots, the soft just freaking sticks. Whenever there's a hill or danger behind the pin, this is the disc for it. The 167 is supposed to be here tomorrow, so it will at least get a trial spot... Excited to see what this can do off the tee, as I love the VP.

Summit x2 (167g, 164g, both firm, 9.5/10) Turnover upshots, hyzer flips for short, straight tunnel shots. Has some uses, but I think the Ridge is workable enough to cover this slot, but I'm not sure. If it does stay, one of them can definitely go, since the weights are close enough for definite overlap.

Sole x2 (172g, 170g, both medium, 172g is brand new, 170 has a sunken spot on flight plate)- Unsure, I never really found a use for the Sole, granted it was the messed up one I've had in my bag for a month or so. But Steve Dodge was nice enough to send me a free, brand new 172g Sole, so I'd like to give it another try. Unfortunately, I feel like the other putters pretty much have my approach needs covered. I've tried using the Sole to bridge the gap between those and my mids but the Ibex powers down so well, it feels redundant. I haven't tried it off the tee much, maybe there is use in it there?

So anyways, there is my bag, help me trim it down. And I'd love some suggestions on overstable/headwind discs, especially a fairway driver and a mid (And I'm not totally sold on the Monster either). I'm also open to all other thoughts, opinions, advice, and critique!*

One of my home courses is fairly wooded, so the durability is why I started throwing Vibram. The grip, especially in adverse weather, is why I now throw primarily Vibram.

never heard of lace.
besides your plethora of putters id say you have a more or less complete bag.
monster seems a little much. you could prob pick a slower disc with the same result.
Id pick which weight you throw most consistent of each of your molds and stick with it. that will cut down on discs in the bag.
putting comes from practice with the same putter for long periods. i didnt start putting well till i decided on a wizard and stuck with them. Dont change putter mold because of one bad day of putting llike i did for a while

The Lace is the new Vibram distance driver that is coming out soon, I just managed to get my hands on one of the protos that turned out more understable than the production runs are supposed to be.

I agree that the Monster might be a little fast. What would you recommend to replace it? Banshee? Firebird? Suggestions on something non-Innova?

I should add, while I am loyal to Vibram (I already have the whole line up in my bag, so it's not like adding other discs to that is disloyal) and familiar with Innova, I am willing to try discs outside of those manufacturers. I am just very unfamiliar with other manufacturers, so suggestions are appreciated!

well if your throwing a valk 350 then your monster maybe only 275?
Fire bird is not much of a step down in speed. but my star 160g FB is just as stable as my 173. but dosnt kill my shoulder.
blaze would be nice too. the Hpp evo plastic is quite resilient but not really grippy IMO.
One i have not thrown but seems would be ideal is the respecti. Overstable and just faster than your current FDs.i bet they would fit in nice, you would likely be able to get some distance before it starts fading too. i imagine if there was no wind that monster starts fading right out of your hand.

The Respecti does sound interesting, it might have to be my next disc purchase.

And I think I'm gonna scale my bag down to this:

Lace x1
Trak x2 (170 firm, 164)
Ascent x2 (175, 169)
Obex x1
Ibex x2 (169, 165 soft)
Sole x1 (172)
Summit x1 (164 firm)
Ridge x2 (171 soft, 167)
VP x3 (174 firm x2, 174)

And the Sole, Summit, and 167 ridge are on trial.

Thoughts?

think your back will thank you. most wooded courses around me dont really lend much options for more than a fairway driver, as far as the valk and monster, dont know if youll miss them
i think that respecti would fit nice as the slight step up in speed to your ascent and couple step more stable.

Latest posts