• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Battle of Stoney Hill (10/26-27/2013) - Team Play

DavidSauls

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
This year's Battle of Stoney Hill will be a Team Play event for the first time. Though details haven't been nailed down, we're looking at 4-man teams with a ratings cap of 3760, and a variety of singles, doubles, and match play formats.

It's our way of trying something different from the standard tournament fare.

As always, it will be a fundraiser for the Children's Heart Foundation, for which we've raised $1,000 or more each year, balanced with light payouts for the winners.

For changes, we've moved away from USDGC weekend to a later October date, and gone to 2 days to accommodate the team play.

So come join us for a great weekend at Stoney Hill. You can even camp on the course for the full Stoney Hill experience!

More details at http://www.saulsinsurance.com/stoneyhill/battle.htm

If you've been a member in the past, we should have that info shortly before the tournament. If you've never been a member or we can't obtain a rating, we'll probably assign a 940 rating.

Most non-current players will have an idea of their rating. Most teams won't be real close to the cap, so they'll have some leeway.

hmmmmm wonder where that idea came from???.....LOL. I'm looking forward to this @ the IDGC, I think it's going to be a GREAT time. I'll let you know the pros/cons from it there, and maybe make your event even better!

Actually, the idea came from the VTI (Virginia Team Invitational), which has something like a 17-year wait list. We hope to get to a format like theirs, but for our first go-round we're doing something simpler---similar to the IDGC.

The ChainSauls team will be at IDGC, playing and taking notes.....which is one reason we won't nail down the details, or put out a flyer, until September.

I just hope the team rivalry aspect doesn't bleed into midnight raids between the camping areas.

Thanks Chris, feels good to be back on DGCR. Hopefully, team Proputt will get to play some against Chainsauls. This is the first in a while that I'm REALLY excited about a tournament. Something new and different is refreshing. As for the midnight raids......if someone's bag gets all changed up, it wasn't me!!!!....LOL. (Makes note to self....lock up all blowflys/gumputts in a safe location, hide key)....LOL

Great Idea

Stoney Hill Team Play. I am up for that. Woo Woo!! I see Danny is in and I am sure Brent & Kelly will join us. That will be a blast.

Actually, the idea came from the VTI (Virginia Team Invitational), which has something like a 17-year wait list. We hope to get to a format like theirs, but for our first go-round we're doing something simpler---similar to the IDGC.
The VTI doesn't use a team player rating cap (the 2 AM team members had to be below 980). I remember a team event--at Seneca Creek (?) a dozen or so years ago--that did use a fairly "tight" team ratings cap; many of the teams really had to scramble to get under the cap.

Understood. The idea for having a team play tournament came from VTI. The format we're using to start out we came up with independently, but is pretty similar to the IDGC event later this month---including the idea of a ratings cap. We're starting with this and, if team play is popular enough, hope to migrate to a more VTI-like format in the future. But the ratings cap is more flexible, for now.

John Biscoe was kind enough to provide me with some details of the VTI. We just don't know if we'll have the demand, starting out, to do what they're doing.

Just a few more days for the IDGC team play...weather is supposed to be pretty good, no rain except typical afternoon showers, and that's just a 20% chance on Sunday. Looking forward to this event, then we can discuss the pro/cons from this to make the Stoney Hill event a good one!!!

We'll be taking notes. Though the Battle will be, in some ways, different from the IDGC---a hybrid of what we like there, and some ideas we've been kicking around. The 4-man team with ratings cap will almost certainly be the same.

Just finished the International Team Challenge at the IDGC, and it was a blast. And gave us a lot to think about.

If you haven't played a team tournament, you've got to give it a try.

At the IDGC they used a hard ratings cap. 4 rounds with different points values: singles, match play, best shot doubles, and team doubles (which has all 4 teammates playing together). Not saying we'll do exactly that....but it was fun and worked pretty well.

It definitely was a great time....Team Pro-putt had our hopes up after leading the 1st day, but then we fell during the doubles and the team play.

It appears the Sunday rounds were much more important with regards to points than Saturday's rounds which might explain some of the fall. I believe all the rounds should carry the same weight which is something we are looking at for our event. The most you could win in Match play was 60points but very unlikely, however the final round on Sunday had a max of 150 points and multiple teams reached it.

Myself, and some other players in Greenville, are trying to form a team for the Battle of SH. I wanted to bounce around some ideas-- gained from playing the 2013 Team Challenge format in Appling as Team Turd Ferguson. The Team Challenge was a blast and Jason did an excellent job as TD.

I felt torn on the format of round 4. As a player I want a chance to recover from a bad round, so I like the idea of a larger proportion of points attached to the final day in order to catch the lead team. The alternate shot format can be a great deciding factor in a "team challenge", but I favor a best shot format between two teammates (A and B squad format). Best shot is a drastic risk/reward and based on player skill. The risk of alternate shot does not match up to best shot IMO. My ideas might be not transition from Appling's courses to Stoney Hill. I have yet to play SH.

I was exhausted the final round, so I felt relief knowing I would effectively play half of the Jackson course during the alternate shot format. I might be singing a different tune if I had to play my favorite format (best shot with A squad, B squad) utterly exhausted on Jackson. All in all, I am torn on the final round format.

Does anyone know where I can find the team scores for the last day? I see the points but cannot find the scores of each team.

I can't wait to play Stoney Hill, and experience another great team challenge!

Latest posts