• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best disc golf experience possible.

Connor Jones

International Hair Champion
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'd like to start off by saying this. (REALLY LONG STORY BUT YOU SHOULD READ IT:thmbup:)

I have not played every single course out there, and I know there are a ton of amazing people who offer amazing amenities for us, and every single one of them should be thanked to no end, as I'm sure a lot of us try our best to do.

As I'm sure a lot of you know, I am a huge proponent of Flyboy Aviation. A ton of people on this forum have played the course, and understand the magic. From the second you step out of the car and the dogs are nipping at your feet in excitement, to crossing hole 3 for the first time no matter how many times you have done it before, to the very end where you recall every single shot with your friends on the drive back home. It's a totally unique experience in every way.

Well, the owner of Flyboy, Kelly, had invited me up there earlier this week to come shoot a round today, I obviously accepted, why would I turn it down? I've been there probably about 20 times and I still get excited every single time.

I arrived and Kelly and I were walking around the hangar talking as he was trying to fix his headset for his plane, getting really technical and serious with duct tape, eventually deciding that was the best route. He tells me to go get my bag from the car so we can start, I come back and am ready to play.

He proceeds to tell me that we will not be playing Flyboy Aviation today.

I was obviously confused as I had just drove an hour and a half to play my favorite course, what gives? The nerve of this jerk! Just kidding. Mostly :| :)

He then tells me that we will be going to play a different course today, North Georgia Canopy Tours(NGCT), and while this excited me, it was still odd to have me come there to just go play somewhere else. So we begin our trip and we're making good time and..

Oh, sorry.

One really important detail about this story I'm leaving out.

We flew there. (Video is loud)

Obviously when Kelly told me we were going to fly to an airport near NGCT I was stoked because I can't think of a better way to enjoy a disc golf course. I realized at this point that I was about to have a totally unique experience in every way possible and was going to savor every moment.

The flight started off a little bumpy with a lot of wind, but we soon got to a good cruising altitude and the descent and landing were very smooth.

We land at a small airport in Gainsville,GA(Which was an awesome little airport, tons of awesome memorabilia from the days of yonder.)

We drive in the vehicle lent to us via the airport(thank you!) to NGCT, I had heard so many good things about this course and everyone kept telling me to go play it, I have a road trip planned next weekend which included this course(and i'm going to play it again!) so I was not sure if I should really do it and ruin the surprise for next time, but it was AMAZING!

Every single hole out there is fun with a ton of elevation, and I'll be writing a review shortly to go into more detail about how AWESOME the course was, but there is a famous hole on the property, so I thought I'd try to get a nice shot of it.

Totally awesome hole, streamers hanging on each side to knock your shot down, gotta throw a roller or something dead straight down the middle, keeping it low enough to not touch the ceiling.

The entire course was amazing and I recommend if you are in the area to go out and throw!

We drive back to the airport and throw our stuff back in the plane. We take off and we're about 10-15 minutes into our flight when Kelly says the dumbest thing anyone could ever possibly say, "Hey Connor, why don't you fly this thing."

Seriously? Are you sure? This seems like a really bad idea, but he tells me it's okay, so I reach to grab the controls in front of me and HOLY CRAP, flying a plane is the weirdest feeling on the planet, the controls are infinitely more sensitive than a steering wheel and going so fast way off the ground is extremely intimidating, especially in a smaller plane where the winds effect is multiplied seemingly infinitely. After a minute or so, I start to get a grasp and I would like to think I was ACTUALLY doing a pretty decent job, but then, the weight of my actions and consequences started to sink in. I had been flying for a few minutes at this point and all was going well, but the combination of the turbulence and responsibility were too great for me. I told Kelly to take over, we're about 2 minutes away from Flyboy, WE ARE SO CLOSE, I tell Kelly I'm going to throw up, I need a bag now, he quickly opens it and RIGHT before we are about to land, I puke :)

Needless to say it was required I include my failure as well as my successes of the story.

So yeah, the moral of this story is.

Flyboy Aviation is an awesome place and everyone should support it given the chance.

Kelly is one of the most awesome human beings on the planet and everyone should support him by supporting his course.

Finally, not to sound too rude but, I'd like to see you try and top my day.

I suggested to some of my staff this morning and we go play NGCT but some non playing staff called in sick. Wouldve been cool to have gone and seen you there.

That's awesome Conner! What a day? I responded in your other thread on the trips page about how much you would enjoy the course at NGCT. You mentioned in the thread that whenever you had the chance to head on up to Lula it just made more since to make the shorter drive up to Flyboy. Who can blame you right? That's awesome that Kelly had a curve ball in store. :thmbup:
He sounds like such a cool dude. I can't wait to meet him.

Have you decided which day you'll be back up at NGCT? If it's a weekend I may be able to meet you.

Anyways Epic day for sure.

I will be there next Saturday at some point during the day, 10 courses from Fri-Sun with a friend of mine. If you'd like, PM me your number and i'll text you when I get a better idea of how things are developing.

It's an amazing story when it includes going to Flyboy, NOT playing Flyboy, and ending up happy about it.

I gotta admit, "I just flew in to play the disc golf course" has a certain style.

It's an amazing story when it includes going to Flyboy, NOT playing Flyboy, and ending up happy about it.

I gotta admit, "I just flew in to play the disc golf course" has a certain style.

Kelly had mentioned almost trying to fly up to play your course but the logistics weren't right. Obviously i LOVE it and I'm sure he will get there eventually :thmbup:

WOW . . . I am disappointed I was unable to meet him when I stayed there in January. I did thoroughly enjoy some serious conversations with his parents though. His mom was super accommodating and helpful and his dad has an incredible mind.

I will one day make it back there and meet Kelly and I am sure I will be impressed.

That is exactly what I was thinking! Perfect summarization!

I am pretty sure I would have puked too from the anxiety attack I had knowing I had control over someone else's life while flying the plane.

Well that's amazing.... Super jealous but you deserve it.

Though I once pulled my own ticket in a raffle and won 5,000 dollars. I was 8 and I thought I was set for life, then I pissed myself in front of hundreds of people.

Glad you got to see it first hand and that was super cool of Kelly to take you there since his first experience there was when it first opened and there wasn't a maintenance person yet - It will be open for only 2 years on APRIL 9th - hopefully you enjoyed it - and sorry you didin't get to see 5 long (making it a true par 4) and we also always play 18 to the practice basket in doubles and Events to make it a true par 4 also.

I'm curious of Kelly's reaction to the course now - would love for him to PM me or post and let me know.

I also responded to your PM before seeing this, but the offer still stands - As since you are returning, I'm gonna assume you liked it enough to warrant a return trip by car! :D

PS - it's too bad you missed the old curtain in the Chicken Shack (about 3inches to 2 feet hanging down from sides to middle) as it made you throw LOWER line drive shots (unfortunately recs that kept hitting it tore it loose and so management took it down completely) - I also cut and or tie back the "streamers" every few months to keep it looking nice in there and for the Event in OCT none will be hanging down (at least for the first round :D )

Kelly actually said to me multiple times how great the course looked and how much he enjoyed it. He said you guys had obviously done a ton of work to get it in prime shape.

I'm sure when he sees this he will chime in, he asked me in exchange for my day of disc golf to write a story about it, so I did.

I LOVED NGCT, I can't wait to play it again next weekend and my friend has not played it yet, so it'll be a great time.

Latest posts