• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best disc golf experience possible.

Kelly had mentioned almost trying to fly up to play your course but the logistics weren't right. Obviously i LOVE it and I'm sure he will get there eventually :thmbup:

That would be SOOOO cool.

We are trying really hard to work out a visit to Flyboy sometime this year, and to stay at the B&B. My 5-year-old nephew is an avid disc golfer and, between that and the airplanes, he'll be in heaven.

How's Kelly's knee, anyway? Last I talked to him he was in pretty bad shape. Must be much improved if he's playing hilly courses like NGCT.

That would be SOOOO cool.

We are trying really hard to work out a visit to Flyboy sometime this year, and to stay at the B&B. My 5-year-old nephew is an avid disc golfer and, between that and the airplanes, he'll be in heaven.

How's Kelly's knee, anyway? Last I talked to him he was in pretty bad shape. Must be much improved if he's playing hilly courses like NGCT.

Hopefully you'll get there soon!

Kelly said he is near 100%, which is great to hear, I can't imagine owning flyboy and not being able to play it so it's good to know that he's able now.

Has the "river of mulch" between 5 and 6 been completed yet? Wehn I was there last month I framed the trees and cleaned out the areas around each one - my only lament on "my baby" is that unlike Kelly - I don't live there and only see it one day a month - but being that the current maintenance guy is also a Disc Golfer and understands EXACTLY what I tell him i'm looking for - now I mostly just fine tune things and then start to add other things i've always wanted to do - like "river of mulch", add ing multiple pin positions, etc.

I also forgot to ask -Did you see the car behind and left of 14's basket?

If not take the 75 foot walk from the basket down the trail to the left and you can't miss it....imagine the drive with no trees as it was when it happened.

I'm glad Kelly liked it - it is a constant work in progress to make it as good an experience as possible for all who travel there -and it is truly great to be able to work with a piece of property that has almost zero restrictions to what I wish to do for the course.

Lastly - in case you missed it on today's trip - make sure to look at the mountains in North Carolina while on 10's teepad and the mountains of GA on 13's tee pad easily seen on a clear day (like today's) - although flying over them or seeing them from the plane was probably cooler. :D

Keith

I don't remember about the mulch, but I will definitely find out next weekend. I also did not see the car, or at least to the best of my knowledge.

I know it's your course and what not, but my only single recommendation would be to take down the couple sets of streamers in the middle path giving you an unobstructed shot at it. I'm no designer but it's such a cool and fun hole regardless, that I think giving it a little more leeway would be awesome.

Kelly said he is near 100%, which is great to hear, I can't imagine owning flyboy and not being able to play it so it's good to know that he's able now.

That is great news. I torn mine and had surgery and couldn't play for 3 1/2 months---I have great empathy for Kelly on this. I was wise enough to not tear up the knee on my plant leg, though.

I don't remember about the mulch, but I will definitely find out next weekend. I also did not see the car, or at least to the best of my knowledge.

I know it's your course and what not, but my only single recommendation would be to take down the couple sets of streamers in the middle path giving you an unobstructed shot at it. I'm no designer but it's such a cool and fun hole regardless, that I think giving it a little more leeway would be awesome.

The "streamers" are what holds the ceiling stuff up and every disc that hits it moves them around and changes their positions - that's why every few months, I tuck them back in or cut them if they don't reach to an area to tuck them in... I'll actually be doing that tomorrow before doubles on my pass around the course to keep it in best shape possible before 3rd SUN doubles starts.
That was the other negative thing that the tearing down of the curtain caused as the wind now whips through the entire hole without getting diffused which makes the "streamers" closer to the tee pad and 1st half of the hole come down much quicker - it used to takes 4-5 months to even see 5-10 on the first half of the hole - and maybe only 20-30 total on the entire hole, but now they are everywhere in 2 months. :mad:

You can't miss knowing you saw the car - if you saw the car - so I'm guessing you didn't. :D

Nothing in the world is like the Chicken Shack - so if it gets too bad in the future, I'll look into working with them to put up something to try to mitigate the streamers coming down as fast.

You also will need to make a trip out there when there are leaves on the trees as the course is COMPLETELY different and better when green or changing colors! (which is why I run my Event there in OCT):thmbup:

That's it, I'm taking a hot air balloon to roadtrip courses for now on.

^ cool perhaps, but it does limit the courses you can play in a given day.

Connor's day >>>>>>>>>>>> my day.

Keith, NGCT sounds like an awesome course. Hope to be able to add it to my list one day. :thmbup:

Last edited:
If Kelly continues to offer free flights to other courses for every disc player who shows up to play Flyboy, then I predict that Flyboy will eventually overtake the Selah Ranch courses for # 1 in the country.

Of course for that to happen, one player will have to give Selah Ranch Lakeside a 4.5.

And Flyboy will have to be activated on the site again!

^ It would still be #1 if it was still on this site.
Matematically speaking Lakeside would still be Numero Uno. No clue if it is/isn't better than Flyboy, I haven't played Lakside. Flyboy got RIP'd just before I wrote my review. It's the best course I've ever played.

While some of us are working hard to build a top-notch private disc golf experience, people like Kelly keep raising the #$**# bar. Chartered flights from one disc golf destination to another? How the **#@* can we compete with THAT?

Thats as baller of a disc golf experience as you can get. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I wasn't really jealous. but good for you! and thanks for sharing :)

I laughed, I cried (well, laughed till I cried). Nicely written young Connor, you've entertained the people...assignment complete. Here are my thoughts on a disc golf experience to remember...cliff notes version:

Connor's a great road trip companion and ok co-pilot...very thoughtful not to spew on me or the avionics. An average man would be dead now.

NGCT is a fantastic course...kudos to Keith Johnson on the design...5 star. Go play it! I desperately need a chicken coup at Flyboy.

Connor failed to mention, an old man, almost 3X his age, just off knee surgery, took his money on the course. Although, the kid can crush a Prodigy D1.

Next flying/dg adventure...Stoney Hill. But where the heck do I land?

In the end....it's all about the experience.

Kelly

Latest posts