• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The BEST Disc LED's for Glow

Let me know how everything is please

I used them for a quick toss around the disc golf course today, and they have their plus and minuses.

Pros:
-thin and tape on easily
-they have a blink-mode, but I don't really see any purpose for that
-about 1/3 of the cost of bobber lights
-available in many different colors, which looks really freakin cool when you put two different colors on a clear disc

Cons:
-they shine bright only in one direction (top), they shine about 50% strength through the bottom, and don't really shine at all out the sides
-definitely do not look waterproof

I only attached them to a decently clear blue Z-plastic Wasp (used the clear/white lights) and to a perfectly clear CryZtal Challenger (red on one side, green on other). They were plenty bright on the clear putter, but not so bright on the blue Wasp, and it was actually somewhat difficult to track it once it got to around 250-300'. If it was a driver it would have been even more difficult to follow it the entire way. Although, once I walked to the area it landed it was pretty easy to spot. I think it would have been more visible if I taped one light facing down and one up, instead of facing them both up, because while it's in flight I'm actually looking at the bottom of the disc and that's the direction the lights were shining at only 50% power.

So in conclusion, the bobber lights shine brighter in more directions and are water-proof. These wafer-lights are less expensive, available in more colors, and tape/stay on slightly better than bobber lights. They both weigh about the same. They will work on slightly tinted discs, but work much better on completely clear discs, and if you're throwing over 350' a clear disc may be a necessity.

I was more of wondering for good detail because that video's pretty poor quality and you can't really tell what holds the battery on.

I'm pretty sure it's glued on, along with the circuitry.

I got 100 of the mini glowsticks off ebay for 12.60 with free shipping, which is like .13 each. Not super bright, but they do the trick.

These look cool and might have to check a few out. So the batteries are not replaceable?

So the batteries are not replaceable?

Probably not, but crazier things have happened so with enough determination it may be possible. It's glued to the wafer and situated inside of a snug metal ring. One contact is between the wafer and battery, and the other on the bottom of the battery-- exposed to the air. It looks like the contact is also glued to the battery. You would have to somehow remove the initial contact from the battery without breaking it from the circuitry, and then wedge out an extremely snug battery from its metal housing without breaking through the wafer (which it is glued to) or breaking the other contact.

I'm suspicious of how thin this wafer thin "body light" actually is. The video does a poor job of showing that off. Is it more or less than 1mm thick? And is the body of it flexible or rigid? I ask this because many of my discs are opaque, and I'm used to sticking these on the tops of my discs:

beaconred_m.jpg

One thing I've found is that electrical tape works much better to hold the beacon on than the little tabs that are included in the package.

just use a good duct tape over all of the metal but not the light part obviously! duct tape works great cuz you can take light off and put on other discs without using new tape.

I'm suspicious of how thin this wafer thin "body light" actually is. The video does a poor job of showing that off. Is it more or less than 1mm thick? And is the body of it flexible or rigid? I ask this because many of my discs are opaque, and I'm used to sticking these on the tops of my discs:

It would probably work better with one on top and one on bottom of an opaque disc than they do to put two on the bottom of a tinted disc. The main problem with these lights is that they are pretty much mono-directional. But yeah, the wafer is about 1mm, but the battery is about 2 or 3mm so its about 3 or 4mm total, but still slightly thinner than the bobber lights. The wafer is actually just a thin sheet of aluminum so it is flexible to a certain extent, but the circuitry would probably break if you bent it too much. Basically, there would be less of a hump using these as compared to the bobber lights.

other than cost of bobber LED's not sure why the fuss. bobber led's work great and no signifigant change of flight. I think most people get it in there head that the light throws disc way off when really it's no noticiable difference. I do wish they were cheaper but at same time 3 bucks for the led that lasts a while is not bad at all. especially considering you can get like 3-4 led's for price of one dx glow disc! and glow discs are not really that bright especially in the fall when they slide under leaves.

help a brotha out here gentlemen. Link me to a bobber led like your referring to please.

I'm old school and it was charge up the disk with a florescent tube black light, throw and find the disk before you lost charge, so to speak. I've been out of the game for about 10 years and my how things have changed. My game included :)

other than cost of bobber LED's not sure why the fuss. bobber led's work great and no signifigant change of flight. I think most people get it in there head that the light throws disc way off when really it's no noticiable difference. I do wish they were cheaper but at same time 3 bucks for the led that lasts a while is not bad at all. especially considering you can get like 3-4 led's for price of one dx glow disc! and glow discs are not really that bright especially in the fall when they slide under leaves.

But dude! All the colors...they're like totally psychedelic man!

Latest posts