• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Germanton, NC

Black Widow DGC

4.465(based on 14 reviews)
Possible the course owner is asking for shills with all these "1 played, 1 reviewed" short 5.0 reviews this course has?

EDIT: This is not the case. The owner asks to get honest reviews with no obligation for a perfect score. Apologies for my accusatory tone.

Last edited:
Possible the course owner is asking for shills with all these "1 played, 1 reviewed" short 5.0 reviews this course has?

Glad @Cerealman is here to speak the truth!
Yea, I just noticed those too. It looks like the next Pendleton King!!
I played it a little over two years ago and would put it at 3-3.5, so Cerealman is right on the money.
I've seen the owner on his FB page asking for reviews on "Disc Golf Review" , but I have not seen him ask for 5s, just enough reviews to make the Top Courses list on here.

I could write an accurate review, if I could get a waiver on the 1 year to review rule. :)

Waiver seconded. In fact, I wrote my review about 1.5 years after playing since I saw all the first-time review nonsense. The owner messaged and thanked me for the review and told me about a couple changes since I played, so I updated my review.

pmay5 is right. He's asking for reviews to make the Top Courses list but isn't requesting 5s.

Course owner and Gulf War Veteran here, Veterans put their lives on the line everyday they served this country, maybe this site needs a Veteran Owned and Operated course list that shines at the top because without our Veterans there would be no disc golf to play period. Folk that don't have anything good to say shouldn't say anything at all. I worked overtime to pay for my first set of baskets back in 2011 and I started and ran a disc golf club for 10 years the Triad DGC, and now I'm just a course owner and Christmas tree farmer. Maybe it's time to support our Veterans that put it all on the line, and stop being so picky.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

First, thank you for your service. Ultimate respect for your sacrifice. 👊

I'd speculate that most DGCR users seek a written, detailed review that justifies its rating. That's it. That philosophy is a notable difference between this site and UDisc.

When first-time reviewers give an extremely high (or low) rating without an explanation, it causes skepticism by users, as seen above. A high (or low) rating lacks worth if users believe the reviewers are misrepresenting the course...

Robert,

I apologize. I've heard of what I said happening more than once, which does mess up the balance of this site, but I came out far too accusatorily. As someone with multiple Veteran family members, thank you for your service and I hope I get out your way someday.

Nice Chiefs colored chairs, btw 😉

The club I started, our home course was Horizons Park NC - so when the club needed another place to play, I built the Black Widow DGC, I made it as tough as possible - playing here might make you a better player over all - you learn to hit the tight lines, and if you don't you learn to scramble. I never wanted it to be all easy open holes, but folks get upset when they find out their game is really crap lol and leave odd opinions.

... folks get upset when they find out their game is really crap lol and leave odd opinions.
Haha. I hear you. I can't speak for Surge5 or pmay5, but my game IS crap sometimes. When I visited Black Widow with three buddies in spring 2022, we played the course with doubles partners. :)

Tiki 9 hole setup I got the idea from the Block House DGC - they have 2 courses and 18 tiki and they let folks camp also- in Virginia.

Attachments

• tiki2023.jpg
    tiki2023.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tikigolf2023.jpg
    tikigolf2023.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 0
Anyone who is referring players come to DGCR to review courses is a friend of the site in my mind and should be encouraged not discouraged to do so. I have not played the course but there is a thread this morning in the main site that speaks on this and my opinion is stated there as well as here. Thank you for designing courses, thank you for your service, and thank you for telling people to come here and review courses!

One of NCs few PTPs, and worth it!!
Pros:

Private course that also contains the family Christmas Tree farm.
Good DISCatchers, the bands and flags really help spotting the holes in the woods.
Mix of tee pads, the ones with pavers are pretty good.
Good mix of hole types, 9 heavily wooded, 6 open or mostly open and 3 partially wooded. Also good use of the elevation on the property.
Outside of Christmas Tree season, course is exclusive to Disc Golf, I was the only one playing the day I was there.
Short Par 3 Tiki course, that can be played at night, before or after your round.
Very friendly owner, met me as I pulled in, gave me an overview of the course and invited me back soon.
Cons:
The one tee sign at #1 is very good, unfortunately this was the only one.
Several of the wooded holes on the front nine have little to no fairway. #1,#5 and #8 are especially very tough to find a line to hit and if you are off the intended line, you are scrambling big time.
A few of the short, open holes on the back nine are pretty close together. Pretty creative how the owner made them unique, including at least 1 "island" green, but I could see some errant throws coming in from other holes.
Other:
As mentioned previously, it's a great property for Disc Golf, woods, open fields and enough elevation change to affect your shots. The First tee is near the parking lot and #18 finishes right next to the Tiki course, so it's a no brainer to play that after your round.
I believe the owner has even set up a room/cabin, if you want to stay a while. Pretty sure camping is also allowed on the property.
There are some very challenging wooded holes:
#5 - just 335', Par 4, but it is uphill and heavily wooded. If you tee shot finds the fairway, you have a shot at the basket in a small clearing.
#10 - partially open, uphill drive to a narrowing fairway on a sidehill, that begs for a rollaway. Par 4 at 436', its tough to get an upshot close.
There are also some unique holes, well designed on the property:
#9 is a 151' Par 3, small elevated tee to the basket on the next small ridge, guarded by trees and rocks, a fun little shot.
One of the signature holes here is the Par 4, 500' 12th, it features a nice long tee pad on this wide open hole. The fairway drops away a little off the tee, then a gradual uphill to the basket. The grass is cut narrow at first, then a wider fairway after that, if you miss this wide fairway, then you've lost your runup. A beautiful view from the tee (pic is on the site), with the owner's house in the distance.
#17 and #18 both finish as challenging holes, narrow (but not tight) fairways to guarded baskets. You will earn your score on these two holes.
There are not a lot of Pay to Play courses in North Carolina, so if you are playing the oldest course in the state (Horizon Park, just a few miles away), stop by The Black Widow and help out a DG owner, its well worth the money.

Latest posts