• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The "Buzzz" of drivers?

Right now I'm still sticking to a very minimal bag. The only mid I throw is the Z Buzzz, because I feel it is the quintessential midrange (my opinion, but perhaps not yours). It works well for me - I like that it is versatile, but that it's strong suit is going straight.

I'm looking for something with similar characteristics in a driver. Something that I can work some lines with if I need to, but that I can really depend on when I need a nice straight shot. Right now I'm throwing a Star TeeBird, but since the Buzzz is on the faster side of mids, I feel like I need something a little faster in a driver to set it apart, and maybe get a little extra distance when I need it. Just looking for some suggestions.

Much obliged.

stalker

stalker would be a good suggestion but it is not any faster than a teebird. i posted a similar question about a year ago. seems that faster discs 9+ if they have resistance to turn they inevitably have a lot of fade.

Just a little farther than the Buzz?

2012 Ace Race disc. Nice and straight with a predictable fade at the end.

Plus what everyone else said. :D

Get a PD and don't look back.

Just a little farther than the Buzz?

2012 Ace Race disc. Nice and straight with a predictable fade at the end.

Plus what everyone else said. :D

Actually, good point-I've been using it on longer mid-range shots instead of the Buzz. It's really found a spot in my bag.

Judging by the protos I tested I think the MVP Volt could very well end up being this disc. I've been searching for this disc for years and the closest I've come to it has been with certain runs of SPDs. If you can find Freak stamped SPDs that are yellow and feel/look like opaque Champ plastic, those are the best...
Most of the other discs that have been suggested have more sensitivity in the high speed portion of their flight to have the "gun it flat and low" reliability of a Buzzz.

OrionLS in Sirius plastic easily the most controlable disc ever made. Longest disc in my bag with the most comfortable rim i've ever felt. Plus they're cheap and easy to replace if lost with a lot of cosistancy between runs

Last edited:
Call me crazy.... but my answer would be a z comet. I know I know.... you are looking for a straight fast driver, but I have been getting some good distance out of this midrange. With a slight Hyzer flip, I have been getting 300 feet out of it. If thrown flat, it will pan right forever. If you have a star teebird, I don't know what else you would want. A little faster and you could consider a gl saint for dead straight with a little fade at the end. I think that a star orc might also fit in that slot... it will probably be a little more stable. Good luck.

If you're looking for a dead straight driver that should get you 50ft+ past a buzzz, I would recommend a champ Eagle L. With a little bit of seasoning this is one of the straightest, most controllable drivers out there. And even though it's a fairway driver, it can handle enough speed and snap to get it out to around 400ft. They are not marked as X or L IME, so look for the smooth and flat(not concave w/ a 'bead' on the wing) underwing. I have 3, a 150g, 170g and 175g. I carry the 170g in the bag, but the 150g bombs and I'm tempted to use it for calmer days.

If you're looking for a distance driver, Orcs are straight money once beat in.

Latest posts