• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The clown throwing plastic toys.

When I started the addiction was far greater than the self consciousness. The problem now is finding an open field for practice without being interrupted by the baseball jocks, dog walkers with ball launchers, and pee wee football practice. If you can throw 200 feet you can throw farther than most anyone watching so they think it is pretty amazing and not silly.

I think you're confused. Baseball players aren't jocks. ;)

Some of my most memorable moments (due to the scenery) and worth while for my game, is when I take a 1 putter and start hiking. Creeks, fields, woods, etc. Plenty of lines to "invent" while getting some great exercise.

I practice at a school near me, has lots of fields, up and down hill, sidewalks through trees, a great place to practice.

I used to feel self conscious, but not any more.

I've had kids ask me about them, one of the local BMX rats has started throwing discs now. Old folks walking there dogs ask me about it and families with little kids watch me. I consider it my personal way of growing the sport.

If you feel like a dork, I get that, but ultimately, that's on you. Stop being so self conscious and look around you and see what other activities people are doing in fields, you might not ending up feeling so embarrassed. Others I have seen sharing fields? Model rocket, plane, glider and drone enthusiasts. Guys with metal detectors and ball golfers. People with kites and guys training hunting dogs.

There are more people using these fields than just jocks.

Let your freak flag fly!

Honestly, not one single person that notices you out there thinks you are a clown. This is something you are imagining. Most onlookers won't even pay attention. Anyone actually watching you is usually impressed with a 300 foot throw! Soon you will be able to really amaze them with a 400 foot throw!:hfive:

Many years ago when I started playing disc golf, one of the courses I played had a sledding hill with toboggan run and an ice skating pond in the winter. As I was out playing disc golf one very cold winter day, an ice skater came over to me and asked why I was out in the freezing cold playing with Frisbees? He thought it was normal to be out in the freezing cold ice skating or sledding, yet somehow I was crazy for being out in the cold playing disc golf? They ended up being really impressed when I threw my disc an "amazing" 225 feet straight across the frozen ice skating pond to the target! :eek:

I only throw a little over 300'. People that don't play think that is very far. They watch the disc go all the way across the field and are amazed. It's the only time I get a gallery that is complimentary!

I've had some nonthrowers ask me if I was a pro one time after busting off a 250' rip that missed a few trees and generally headed towards the basket.

29a51r.jpg

Maybe find a friend to do it with. Then you can share the 'awkward' together.

If you are just working on form, grab an SSSSSSS Wizard (idk how many Ss they do anymore) and play catch.

For me, I don't throw in fields unless I bring my basket somewhere. Just can't do the whole targetless practice. Take a couple shots on the course/hole to work lines/angles.

I do putt every day, though (I hear putting is where the "dough" is).

But, I don't plan to ever be 1000 rated (I'd be happy if it happened though) and just enjoy playing! Cheers

When I used to do a lot of field work I'd throw at a football field that was ringed by a running track. In the evenings there'd be old people walking the track. Over the years I've given away several Aeros and even given a lesson or two. Most strangers were very receptive to the game.

GROW THE SPORT

When I used to do a lot of field work I'd throw at a football field that was ringed by a running track. In the evenings there'd be old people walking the track. Over the years I've given away several Aeros and even given a lesson or two. Most strangers were very receptive to the game.

I work at the local community college as a math tutor. So on my lunch breaks, I'll grab my Eagle's or whatever discs I want to throw, go to the open field and start ripping them. This is another way that I GROW THE SPORT. Passers by inquire to what I'm doing and when they grab one of my discs and rip them, they get hooked. Grabbing the people that I tutor is the OTHER way that I GROW THE SPORT.

The good thing about being an Voluntarist is that one learns that most people will misunderstand and disparage ones beliefs...little silly things like what people think about one doing field work is meaningless.

Every time I try to do field work at the schoolyard next door to my house, the kids come from all directions. They don't understand why I stop. They say "You won't hit me", but I can already see the writing on the lawsuit. Maybe if they saw me as a clown, I'd get more space. Of course, disc golf isn't weird in DFW, so I have to go to a more isolated park for field work.

Passers by inquire to what I'm doing and when they grab one of my discs and rip them, they get hooked. Grabbing the people that I tutor is the OTHER way that I GROW THE SPORT.

I like seeing their faces when they realize how far a golf disc goes as compared to a regular catch disc.

I've found that most people, especially kids are amazed by how far a disc flies once they see it. Even a 300' throw across the length of a sports field is impressive looking as most things are never thrown more than half the field.

Yeah, there's a soccer field next to the first tee at Circle C. While waiting for my friend to arrive I did some field practice. There was a kid's soccer game going on at the next field over, and by the time my friend arrived I had about ten kids (from maybe 6 years old to 11) following me around that I was showing how to throw. None had even heard of disc golf before. By the end, one was throwing over 200' and a couple others getting close. They were bummed when I finally had to go to start my round.

Latest posts