• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] The D2 and D3 thread

Pwingles

* Ace Member *
The D2, grey 172 i threw was a monster, comparable to pd2.
D3, yellow 173, was like the light D1, flippy but not as touchy as the D4 can be.

Anyone else throw these yet?

I'm headed out to a field with a video camera tomorrow, will try to make a quick comparison video between the D's.

The D2, grey 172 i threw was a monster, comparable to pd2.
D3, yellow 173, was like the light D1, flippy but not as touchy as the D4 can be.

Anyone else throw these yet?

Some serious consistency issues...the D1 is suppose to be the most overstable, followed by the D2 being somewhat flippy, then the D3 which is suppose to be stable to understable and last the D4. Needless to say, I am staying away from prodigy.

Threw a d2 for the first time today and it flew like a seasoned destroyer, I haven't seen any consistency issues with prodigy at all. Ive thrown 3 different m1s, all were the same, m4s are amazing, m3s are a touch overstable. D1 protos were kinda flippy but the mold was tweaked and my first runs are flying great. Ive thrown multiples of every mold and they are more consistent than any other company I've seen.

Im not defending the fact that 1's arent as OS as intended. But how is that a consistency issue? Regardless of their flight, they fly similarly, for sure within the tolerance of other companies mold to mold flight consistency anyway.

Where they screwed up was calling it the D1 in the first place. Much like the M3 debacle.

In my experience the stability goes like this from most to least overstable.
2,1,3,4. If they switched the D2 to being called the D1, which is likely how it was intended, it would be fine.

I agree about the mis naming and hurrying of the M3(2), and D1/2 seems like they didnt test enough beforehand combined with someone having their head up their butt was the problem. Its a silly one and easy to fix so thats good.

Im not defending the fact that 1's arent as OS as intended. But how is that a consistency issue? Regardless of their flight, they fly similarly, for sure within the tolerance of other companies mold to mold flight consistency anyway.

Where they screwed up was calling it the D1 in the first place. Much like the M3 debacle.

In my experience the stability goes like this from most to least overstable.
2,1,3,4. If they switched the D2 to being called the D1, which is likely how it was intended, it would be fine.

I agree about the mis naming and hurrying of the M3(2), and D1/2 seems like they didnt test enough beforehand combined with someone having their head up their butt was the problem. Its a silly one and easy to fix so thats good.

totally agree with you. this is why their naming system is garbage. Had they just given them normal names it wouldn't matter that they messed up like that.

totally agree with you. this is why their naming system is garbage. Had they just given them normal names it wouldn't matter that they messed up like that.

Do I like the naming system? Not really.

Am i one of the people that are utterly perplexed by its infinite complexity? Also no.

What is a "normal" name?
I agree with your point tho, i they werent named in accordance to their stability it wouldnt matter.

Last edited:
What is a "normal" name?

ya i guess that doesn't make much sense. i meant a naming system not based on a numerical system that defines stability.

ya i guess that doesn't make much sense. i meant a naming system not based on a numerical system that defines stability.

If it were accurate, it'd be awesome though. nice and simple to pick a disc no "What does the flying tiger do?" you'd look at each level (D, F, M, P) and know which one to buy for your stability needs instantly. Too bad they screwed that one up.

If it were accurate, it'd be awesome though. nice and simple to pick a disc no "What does the flying tiger do?" you'd look at each level (D, F, M, P) and know which one to buy for your stability needs instantly. Too bad they screwed that one up.

Ya, its an easy fix tho. Just release later runs of D1 ans D2 and visa versa, and TELL THE CUSTOMER YOURE DOING IT, lol.

They also shoulda switched the numbers around and made bigger gaps between them maybe.

Are proto d1's and the new d2's the same mold b/c people keep saying the first run d1's are more OS.

The D2 i threw was very very Os much more OS than any D1 proto or Fr ive thrown. I the D1 is like a boss, the D2 is a PD2.

Had a Proto D1 when they were first released and it was really flippy (not at all what I wanted or expected). The team at Prodigy was very helpful and allowed me to return it for a new FR D1. This thing is EXACTLY what I wanted...Super fast and I'm able to throw it with confidence into a headwind up to 15 mph.

Haven't thrown a D2, but I imagine that if all the FR D1's and all the future D1's are as stable as mine, then there would be no need for the D2 to be more overstable, and hence the naming system would be back on track.

For reference, my FR D1 throws like an overstable destroyer

Last edited:
On 420-50 ft throws i get a good amount of turn from a slight hyzer out of D1's, theyre by no means a headwind beater. They need something more stout.

PWingles: I too get some turn on the D1 on those throws, but I think that the F1 (assuming they stick with the naming system) could be the true "headwind fighter" that you are looking for.

I know it will be a fairway driver, but there are some pretty fast/far flying fairway drivers coming out lately (insert love for MVP here). Either way, I am very eager to see Prodigy's full line-up. If the F1 isn't SUPER overstable and still pretty fast, then I will completely agree that they will have a large hole to fill in the headwind distance category.

On 420-50 ft throws i get a good amount of turn from a slight hyzer out of D1's, theyre by no means a headwind beater. They need something more stout.

agreed. if my pathetic arm can flip them (FRs) flat then they need something a little more beefy. an Xcal/PD2 type disc is exactly what they need.
and I would compare the D1 to more of a Halo type disc than a destroyer now that I have spent more time with it.
Still rome for a D0

PWingles: I too get some turn on the D1 on those throws, but I think that the F1 (assuming they stick with the naming system) could be the true "headwind fighter" that you are looking for.

I know it will be a fairway driver, but there are some pretty fast/far flying fairway drivers coming out lately (insert love for MVP here). Either way, I am very eager to see Prodigy's full line-up. If the F1 isn't SUPER overstable and still pretty fast, then I will completely agree that they will have a large hole to fill in the headwind distance category.

Its not about your opinion or mine, or our preferences though. I try out lotsa stuff and i keep learning the force is the best hw disc for me. Wont stop me from looking for something better. Just because youre happy with the D1 being the most OS Distance driver they make doesnt mean they shouldnt have a more rounded out lineup. As a dg manufacturer id think youd want to cover most stability ranges in every incriment of distance/speed.

Most do, and they do it for a reason. They need a full lineup to compete saleswise and on the course.

*stirred up a hornets nest in the Fury thread didnt I lol

getting sidetracked here, but i've thrown a lot of D1s and although some are "flippy," the opaque 166-168 gram greens and even more so the dark blue 166 gramers are really overstable. they keep right up with my S-PD2 and are more overstable than my C-PD2. there seems to be a lot of variance in the PLH for the D1s, which will account for a range in stability, but i can hardly imagine them making a useable D2 that is more overstable than my beefiest D1.

Latest posts