• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The definition of bagger?

blackcatsmith

Double Eagle Member
I am hoping to enter my first tournament this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers, but what I really need is folding money. I would be entering as a intermediate as there is no rec division at the City Champsionships. My question is at what point(ranking) does one move up to advanced? I noticed someone who signed up for intermediate has a PDGA ranking of 940, which is quite a bit higher than everyone else who signed up for intermediate. What gives? My apologizes if this has been discussed before…

935 is the cutoff for Int. It could be that person signed up before the ratings update and then saw a big jump.

Judging by all the threads/discussion on this topic…

Basically anybody that beats you is a bagger.

If you get a total of 4 people that want to play a division they would have to make a rec division unless they stated that they are not doing any other divisions.

And that person would only be a bagger if he wins.

Most of the tournaments around me are packed with baggers. I gave up on playing intermediate. I just play advanced most of the time now. I don't win, but I might take 5th or 6th place in advanced, and typically when I look at the scores I see that I would get the EXACT same place in intermediate. So yeah, baggers gonna bag.

In many cases, advanced ends up being less competitive because all the good players are in intermediate...

Some guy was annoyingly drunk and calling me a sand bagger because I shot better my second round. I am 17 years old and he was middle aged. And I was appalled at his maturity. I simply apologized and said I will start missing putts.

Most of the tournaments around me are packed with baggers. I gave up on playing intermediate. I just play advanced most of the time now. I don't win, but I might take 5th or 6th place in advanced, and typically when I look at the scores I see that I would get the EXACT same place in intermediate. So yeah, baggers gonna bag.

In many cases, advanced ends up being less competitive because all the good players are in intermediate...

They can't be that great if they are keeping their rating low enough to keep playing in int.

Being my first tournament I don't expect anything, other than some nerves, but I couldn't help but notice the huge disparity between player rankings in the intermediate div. 944 is actually higher than some who chose to enter the advanced div. and what's more is he entered the Open div. in July's Jelly Jam as a 963 rated player, so something's up… My best guess is an injury made him switch styles/hands, which in turn is quickly decimating his game/rating…. but that's just speculation, also what happened to me. I wouldn't say it decimated my game/rating though, for one I have no rating, and for two: I haven't yet build a game for which TO decimate.

It would be good to know before jumping to conclusions. There are lots of possibilities, ranging from a simple error entering names on the registration list, all the way to corruption.

They can't be that great if they are keeping their rating low enough to keep playing in int.

I thought there was only a max rating to play in amateur divisions. I don't think it specifies when you have to switch from intermediate to advanced.

It's a weird area. All the best non-pros seem to be in Masters divisions anyway. The regular intermediate/advanced is a very wide range of skill levels.

this isn't directly toward you, but a just a general statement for anyone playing tournament, but if you're checking ratings and worried about someone rated high in your division. you're already setting yourself up for failure, because it doesn't matter. just play yourself and however the cards fall in the end is how they fall.

^^^^true statement..There is nothing worse you can do for your game then worry about the other players..Play your game and play the course don't worry about the 940 int players..they will take their lumps when they move up

edit: guess I should've quoted emooks post

I thought there was only a max rating to play in amateur divisions. I don't think it specifies when you have to switch from intermediate to advanced.

It's a weird area. All the best non-pros seem to be in Masters divisions anyway. The regular intermediate/advanced is a very wide range of skill levels.

I am pretty sure Intermediate is for players rated 900 - 935 per the PDGA. If it is a sanctioned event then they would have to play their rating. You are always allowed to play in any division higher than your rating, just not lower.

Being my first tournament I don't expect anything, other than some nerves, but I couldn't help but notice the huge disparity between player rankings in the intermediate div. 944 is actually higher than some who chose to enter the advanced div. and what's more is he entered the Open div. in July's Jelly Jam as a 963 rated player, so something's up… My best guess is an injury made him switch styles/hands, which in turn is quickly decimating his game/rating…. but that's just speculation, also what happened to me. I wouldn't say it decimated my game/rating though, for one I have no rating, and for two: I haven't yet build a game for which TO decimate.

I have a feeling a mistake was made in the registration. It happens all the time.

I played a C tier a few months back. The guy that won int would have also won advanced. Would have pissed me off, but I was playing pretty ****ty so he didn't affect me.

I thought there was only a max rating to play in amateur divisions.
Wrong.

I don't think it specifies when you have to switch from intermediate to advanced.
Wrong again.

This is why I don't put too much stock into sandbagger complaints. Most of the people who make them don't even understand how the system works.

It's a weird area. All the best non-pros seem to be in Masters divisions anyway.
Which still makes them pros if they're pro Masters/Grandmasters. :\

Amazes me how many times on this board we continue to guess on things that really could be confirmed or denied with a link to the official information, like say this one....

http://www.pdga.com/pdga-player-classifications-divisions

Latest posts