• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The definition of bagger?

this isn't directly toward you, but a just a general statement for anyone playing tournament, but if you're checking ratings and worried about someone rated high in your division. you're already setting yourself up for failure, because it doesn't matter. just play yourself and however the cards fall in the end is how they fall.

Agree with Above. I am normally the lowest rated player in SC playing MM1 but I set goals for each round and aggregate score. I have been beaten by guys playing my division who were rated 60 points higher than me and 40 points lower than me before. I say to set a goal for each round and aggregate total. I try to play 15 points higher than my rating for each tournament i play (aggregate). Most winners in my division rate out at 945 for tournaments in SC which is a 25 points higher than my goal but I would rather play with better players and i have been fortunate enough to win a few here and there. Other advice for sanctioned tournaments is know the rules, have a good attitude, have fun, show sportsmanship and be humble.

Just because an Intermediate player outplayed some Advanced players doesn't automatically make it something sinister. Generally speaking, we are only talking about a couple of strokes per round difference between the two in most/some cases. If you have some 950 and 960 rated players in Advanced and some 930 players in Intermediate their scores should be similar. Every so often it is possible for the Adv to have an off day and the Int player to have a hot day.

I dont think it is possible to simply look at who won and their score and come to the conclusion it must be "bagging". You really need to dig down to find all the factors that could have led to the outcome.

i agree with this. it's been broken down on a few different threads, but i feel that the biggest difference between our middle of the road intermediate and advanced players is consistency. the guy who won inermediate and would've placed top 3 in advanced if he had played in that division is just as likely to shoot a 970 rated round next weekend as he is an 870 rated round. he just put a couple of hot rounds together and avoided falling apart. i think the skill difference between the two divisions is minimal, but the head game is what varies more.

Why don't DG TDs adopt the rules used in ball golf tourneys?

By this I mean, all AMs play at large in the qualifying round(s) and then people are FLIGHTED in order to make a grouping of similar scores for the final (money) round.

Yes, a dedicated sandbagger could intentionally shoot high in order to get placed into a lower flight, then cruise to victory by shooting better, etc. But, it seems to me we could eliminate the major problem discussed here (at least non-sanctioned events) - which are guys who sign up in too low a tier up front (for whatever reason).

hmmm?

Just because an Intermediate player outplayed some Advanced players doesn't automatically make it something sinister. Generally speaking, we are only talking about a couple of strokes per round difference between the two in most/some cases. If you have some 950 and 960 rated players in Advanced and some 930 players in Intermediate their scores should be similar. Every so often it is possible for the Adv to have an off day and the Int player to have a hot day.

I dont think it is possible to simply look at who won and their score and come to the conclusion it must be "bagging". You really need to dig down to find all the factors that could have led to the outcome.

I'm not an expert in this, but do Adv and Int always play the same tees? If not, that could easily explain scoring issues like that.

Why don't DG TDs adopt the rules used in ball golf tourneys?

By this I mean, all AMs play at large in the qualifying round(s) and then people are FLIGHTED in order to make a grouping of similar scores for the final (money) round.

Yes, a dedicated sandbagger could intentionally shoot high in order to get placed into a lower flight, then cruise to victory by shooting better, etc.

I agree with this format because a "sandbagger would have no idea what he/she needs to score in order to fall where they want to since all scoring would then be on a curve based on hot and worst scores of the 1st round.

I'm not an expert in this, but do Adv and Int always play the same tees? If not, that could easily explain scoring issues like that.

In most cases, yes. In St. Louis, always (unless it is a huge A-Tier and their flight is playing a different set of courses.

As far as what a bagger is, I don't really think the term applies to the person that wins the division. Its actually a term that the person who thought they were going to win the division uses to describe the person/people that beat them.

I agree with dehaas and other that have mentioned the small difference in numerical score that separates a 930 and 950 rated round and echo the sentiment that what separates these players is consistency and the strength of their mental game.

The definition of a bagger is someone who intentionally throws a terrible round just to be able to enter future tournaments at a lower division. Play to your rating and there should be no talk of 'baggers'.

Just ignore it and play your game I played my first tournament two weeks ago in intermediate and took second place with a -1 the top advanced player shot +1 so I could have even placed second in advanced. The wind was raging and it really affected scores but I just played a safe game and it payed off.

Latest posts