• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Disc Beeper?

Barbikes

Birdie Member
This morning while searching for a lost disc on #16 at Terrace Creek I started thinking about how cool it would be if golf discs "beeped". I mean if science can come up with a singing Xmas card then why not a small beeper that would velcro dot on to the bottom of your disc? Of course it couldn't weigh much. I'm thinking less than five grams and it wouldn't be legal for tournaments but it would be great for those "danger holes" that you do come across. Does anyone know of such a product? Would you buy one if they were available?

Barbikes said:
This morning while searching for a lost disc on #16 at Terrace Creek I started thinking about how cool it would be if golf discs "beeped". I mean if science can come up with a singing Xmas card then why not a small beeper that would velcro dot on to the bottom of your disc? Of course it couldn't weigh much. I'm thinking less than five grams and it wouldn't be legal for tournaments but it would be great for those "danger holes" that you do come across. Does anyone know of such a product? Would you buy one if they were available?

hahahah, I've had that same thought on the same course, though mostly on #17. Lemme guess, you had a big hyzer that went down the hill into all that mess? I've spend a good amount of time rummaging through there, sometimes even with a spotter. :?

Seems to me that it wouldn't be hard to make one around the same size/weight as the LEDs you can tape on.

timbuktwhom - You are half right! I throw LHBH and I am always concerned about that mess in the woods to the left so I ended up throwing a little too high and hyzered short into the "logjam" between #15 and #16. I found my Inferno after a 10 minute search and still managed to par. "The Beeper" woulda saved me ten minutes!

Ahh yes, I'm familiar with that mess as well. Just be glad you made it past all those blackberries in front of the tee...I've seen guys shank it into there and just walk on, not even wanting to look for 5 minutes.

timbuktwhom said:
Just be glad you made it past all those blackberries in front of the tee...I've seen guys shank it into there and just walk on, not even wanting to look for 5 minutes.
I once shanked my favorite driver about 15-20 feet deep into some blackberries. I found a really big branch on the ground and started methodically beating my way in by swinging the branch over my head and bringing it straight down on the thorny bastards. I eventually carved a path in and found my disc -- along with another one that had been in there for who knows how long.

Sharper Image sells golf balls with a tracking device in them that you find with a little locator. I'm sure that could be modified to work with discs.

I had this idea a couple years ago after loosing my disk. This is the beeper I have come up with. It is 6 grams. It has a rechargeable battery that charges off USB from a computer in less than 30 min. It is plenty loud. It stays on the disk. I cant tell that it is on my disc when I use it. It is waterproof. It has a 45 second delay after you turn it on so that you don't have to listen to it and it saves on batteries. It has 3 different sounds you can choose from. Check out beepdisc.com for some photos and demo video. It is not in production yet, but it should be in the next few months.

Wow, nice bump! The device looks pretty cool, I could see having a beeper disc in the bag for certain rounds.

nasontackett said:
I had this idea a couple years ago after loosing my disk. This is the beeper I have come up with. It is 6 grams. It has a rechargeable battery that charges off USB from a computer in less than 30 min. It is plenty loud. It stays on the disk. I cant tell that it is on my disc when I use it. It is waterproof. It has a 45 second delay after you turn it on so that you don't have to listen to it and it saves on batteries. It has 3 different sounds you can choose from. Check out beepdisc.com for some photos and demo video. It is not in production yet, but it should be in the next few months.

Great minds think alike! I'm the OP on this thread and I still (5+ years later) think this is a great idea. I've signed up for your E-mail notifications and I'm looking forward to info on the released product.