• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Disc Requisitioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll share this short one from earlier this spring.

Walking across a bridge that's over a creek crossing a fairway, I glance down and see a disc in the water. I go down and get the disc, tye-dye Innova, Teebird I think. Disc had been there for a while and had a bit of funk built up.

Name and number on the back of the disc, I'll say Steve for the sake of the story, can't remember the actual name. Conversation goes as follows;

Steve: Hello
Me: Is this Steve
Steve: yeah
Me: I'm here at Bryan Park and found your disc
Steve: I didn't lose a disc
Me: Uh, I got a disc here, your name, your number
Steve: really man, I didn't lose a disc
Me: you sure?
Steve: yeah man
Me: <laughing> Well, what the f%*k do I have here then if it's not your disc?
Steve: I don't know...uh...wait. Is it a tye-dye Teebird?
Me: yes Steve
Steve: HOLY S#%T I LOST THAT MONTHS AGO I LOVE THAT DISC HOLY S#%T WHERE ARE YOU
Me: between 11 and 12
Steve: OK

less than 5 min later Steve shows up and gets reunited with one of his favorite discs.

Never though I would have have to convince someone I had found one of their discs but was glad I found it and got it back to him. That park is the absolute worst to lose a disc, if you leave one behind and go back 10 min later to get it, it's more than likely gone.

What people? Other disc golfers? Or do you think non disc golfers just sit around and trash talk disc golfers?

no. he is probably thinking of the millions of non disc golfers that read dgcr to keep their finger on the plus of the sport that almost was. if these threads didn't exist, mainstream all the way.

If I can see a disc, but don't think it's worth the effort to get (i.e. briar patch example), is it lost or abandoned? There are a lot of reasonable explanations for finding a disc that isn't lost. I would be surprised if expecting the finder to make the phone call or text would hold up in court as well. I've called every phone number I've found, but there's a significant difference between wrong and illegal.

The briar patch example would actually make a good argument for "abandoned" (were this ever to hypothetically happen in the case of a disc golf disc). No matter what the circumstances, the jury (or judge in some cases) determine what facts he/she/they believe. It's not 100%, as I think plaintiff's attorney could still make a good argument for "lost"...but I have to admit its a good example.

On the other hand, there's a ton of law on what counts as a "reasonable effort" to attempt to find the original owner. Suffice it to say that sometimes "reasonable efforts" have included placing classified ads in local newspapers (or perhaps craigslist now). A phone call or text...when the name and number is on the found article...too easy.

Not making the phone call/text under these circumstances would be a slam dunk for intentional conversion...a.k.a. theft.

That story about the Tie-dye T-bird is humorous. Kudos to you for being steadfast.

I'll share this short one from earlier this spring.

Walking across a bridge that's over a creek crossing a fairway, I glance down and see a disc in the water. I go down and get the disc, tye-dye Innova, Teebird I think. Disc had been there for a while and had a bit of funk built up.

Name and number on the back of the disc, I'll say Steve for the sake of the story, can't remember the actual name. Conversation goes as follows;

Steve: Hello
Me: Is this Steve
Steve: yeah
Me: I'm here at Bryan Park and found your disc
Steve: I didn't lose a disc
Me: Uh, I got a disc here, your name, your number
Steve: really man, I didn't lose a disc
Me: you sure?
Steve: yeah man
Me: <laughing> Well, what the f%*k do I have here then if it's not your disc?
Steve: I don't know...uh...wait. Is it a tye-dye Teebird?
Me: yes Steve
Steve: HOLY S#%T I LOST THAT MONTHS AGO I LOVE THAT DISC HOLY S#%T WHERE ARE YOU
Me: between 11 and 12
Steve: OK

less than 5 min later Steve shows up and gets reunited with one of his favorite discs.

Never though I would have have to convince someone I had found one of their discs but was glad I found it and got it back to him. That park is the absolute worst to lose a disc, if you leave one behind and go back 10 min later to get it, it's more than likely gone.

Someone called me with a similar conversation, but it took me 10 minutes to convince him that I sold the disc and it wasn't mine anymore. He wanted to be a good guy more than he wanted the disc.

The briar patch example would actually make a good argument for "abandoned" (were this ever to hypothetically happen in the case of a disc golf disc). No matter what the circumstances, the jury (or judge in some cases) determine what facts he/she/they believe. It's not 100%, as I think plaintiff's attorney could still make a good argument for "lost"...but I have to admit its a good example.

On the other hand, there's a ton of law on what counts as a "reasonable effort" to attempt to find the original owner. Suffice it to say that sometimes "reasonable efforts" have included placing classified ads in local newspapers (or perhaps craigslist now). A phone call or text...when the name and number is on the found article...too easy.

Not making the phone call/text under these circumstances would be a slam dunk for intentional conversion...a.k.a. theft.

That story about the Tie-dye T-bird is humorous. Kudos to you for being steadfast.

There's "a ton of law" regarding littering in public parks too. Find your own disc.

As these threads often do, I believe this one has run its course and nothing changed. There are those of us that will continue to obey the law (and common decency) and reach out to people to return their discs and those that will continue to try to find ways to justify their theft of found discs. The latter half of the previous sentence is sad, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.