• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mixed the powder with clear laundry detergent and put it on cold then placed the disc in the oven at about 120 degrees for about 10 mins, took it out and BAM thick dark solid black and no disc warp!

This is a new method to me - I'll have to try it out. Looks like it worked well.

Here's the last three I have done.

The first disc with the Wisconsin W is an X-out Surge. Disclaimer: The views and or opinions expressed on that disc are not neccessarily those of the disc dyer.

The second with the octopus/ Wings 'D' is a Sirius Aries (sweet disc by the way if you haven't picked one up yet - Got a cubby ace with mine on it's second throw). This one bled more than I expected, but it used the last of my contact paper, so I am switching to vinyl now. The circles on this are definitely the cleanest I have done yet.

The third is an SP line Tsunami. I dyed the back of the rim pink, and the inside of the rim orange, then did circles on the back - all using worm dye. Then I did a red/purple fly dye on the top of the disc. I really like how this turned out.

Attachments

• 0303141843.jpg
    0303141843.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 0302140752.jpg
    0302140752.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 0303141845d.jpg
    0303141845d.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

The first disc with the Wisconsin W is an X-out Surge. Disclaimer: The views and or opinions expressed on that disc are not neccessarily those of the disc dyer.

The second with the octopus/ Wings 'D' is a Sirius Aries (sweet disc by the way if you haven't picked one up yet - Got a cubby ace with mine on it's second throw). This one bled more than I expected, but it used the last of my contact paper, so I am switching to vinyl now. The circles on this are definitely the cleanest I have done yet.

The third is an SP line Tsunami. I dyed the back of the rim pink, and the inside of the rim orange, then did circles on the back - all using worm dye. Then I did a red/purple fly dye on the top of the disc. I really like how this turned out.

Very nice...I have no opinion on sports really. Dont care either way. :p I live in Michigan so I should but I just never cared much, but those last two are money! Nice work!

Very nice...I have no opinion on sports really. Dont care either way. :p I live in Michigan so I should but I just never cared much, but those last two are money! Nice work!

Thanks Odyssey. It's always nice when something I thought would look cool in my head actually turned out to look cool, like the circles on the back / tye dye on the front disc. I actually got the idea from a pic you posted a while back that was just some cirlces on the back of a disc to show how well the worm dye worked.

I think there's something to this dyeing both sides thing, although it really only works for clear plastic.

I got another of my "quick oven bake" dyes done, while there was nothing quick about cutting the stencil, the dye only took 15 mins. 5 mins to apply the dye, and 10 in the oven.
Anyway I put an eagle on my champ eagleX. I did a super light spin dye on first, then removed the stamp to give it a ghost stamp, then put the eagle dye on top

Attachments

• image-6.jpg
    image-6.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 105
X-Wing on Lucid Trespass

12950077344_14c69e847d_c.jpg

Pretty happy with this one. Used a sponge to get the fire look with red and yellow worm dye. Debating a blue ring around center stamp

Attachments

• 2014-03-05 14.15.09.jpg
    2014-03-05 14.15.09.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 102

that wings dye! bleed or no bleed... ill never disrespect the octopus! lets go red wings!

now, ill set aside my clear bias and say great work. please share w me your recipe for your flydye ink mixture. I've tried a few mixes, none of which I'm 100% happy w.

now, ill set aside my clear bias and say great work. please share w me your recipe for your flydye ink mixture. I've tried a few mixes, none of which I'm 100% happy w.

Nothing fancy, just an iDye/Laundry detergent mix. Lately I have been using 4oz laundry detergent (just Tide, btw) mixed with about 3/8 teaspoon of dye. For the fly dyes I then put the disc in a low heat toaster over for 3 hours (warm, but cool enough that you can still grab the oven rack ~125 F), then the freezer for 15 minutes or so before rinsing.

For iDye circles (like the circles on the wings disc) I am using that mixture and adding some acetone - i feel like circles are difficult with too thick of a mixture. I eyeball the mixture so I don't have exact measurements - roughly 3 eyedroppers detergent mix/ 1/3 eyedropper of acetone. These I am letting sit for a day in a container with a wet paper towel (thanks to Eky8/Odyssey for that tip), then into the oven for an hour or so.

Agreed, like your style Dustee. I check in occasionally and always enjoy the fine display of talent!

Still dyeing occasionally as well, here's a recent one for a bud who wanted a wall hanger, something with the ocean.
greatwavesDSC_6509_zpsbc85b0f3.jpg

And an Ice Bowl BuzzTron data disc for my bag.
icebowlbuzzdatadiscsDSC_6515_zpsa953ce7a.jpg

These are sick! i checked your flickr too! I really want a Wake of the Flood vinyl disc. So sweet!

^I really wanted that wake of the flood disc too! Good thing I happened to be on the morning he posted it and bought it before most even saw it. :) it now holds a place if honor in my display of awesome discs on the wall.

I was thrilled to send it your way DTP.

Interesting color work there Goose, there's some potential to the new method.

And last nights fun, my buddy Josh Finley in Denver does some of the most amazing sh!t!!

JoshfishDSC_6533_zps86c05bde.jpg

^I really wanted that wake of the flood disc too! Good thing I happened to be on the morning he posted it and bought it before most even saw it. :) it now holds a place if honor in my display of awesome discs on the wall.

Jealous! Did you do those dyes in your photobucket? Those are sweet too! man you guys are doing dyes with discs that are mind blowing.

btw: i found the image of the disc used as my avatar online somewhere and don't know who did the dye but i'd love one just like it someone here can pull it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts