• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did this one last night for the CTP prize at our bag tag round today. Champion Valk...

image_zps77a6614c.jpg

Peace,
-Jeff

My first and only dye job

iDye/shaving cream on MVP Inertia.

Attachments

• Inertia.jpg
    Inertia.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 63
How do y'all get the champion/Z/Opto/Lucid plastics to take the dye? Are you using iDye mixed with acetone and applying it with a paint brush? Or do you just flip your disc and submerge it in shaving cream and dye (like for the one color stencil jobs)? How do you get the dye to look that good on the aforementioned plastic(s)?

Edit: EVERY SINGLE one of these looks so sweet.

Essentially yes. I have only done dip dyes and the timing isn't much, much longer, but it does take a little longer.

I've had good success dip-dyeing Champ and Z plastics, but I've had mixed results using cold dye techniques. I have one Champion disc in particular that I've had a terrible time getting to take any dye.

Essentially yes. I have only done dip dyes and the timing isn't much, much longer, but it does take a little longer.

Do you dip it in dye+SC or a different medium? Soap?

I've had good success dip-dyeing Champ and Z plastics, but I've had mixed results using cold dye techniques. I have one Champion disc in particular that I've had a terrible time getting to take any dye.

The disc in your avatar, did you dye the stenciled part first and then covered it up and did the background second? I saw a Kansas City chiefs logo similar in style and was thinking the logo/stencil is done first and then the rest behind it.

Do you dip it in dye+SC or a different medium? Soap?

Generally speaking, when people say 'dip dye' they mean a dye+water mix, usually heated. Even for champ type plastics, I find a few hours in a warm dip dye is sufficient, whereas star will take very deep in a matter of minutes.

I can't recall ever doing a SC dye on champ actually, but I have done a lot of detergent mix dyes on champ that worked wonderfully.

Ex:
picture.php

All the colors are detergent+dye mix (no acetone or anything else). Black was a dip dye.

Generally speaking, when people say 'dip dye' they mean a dye+water mix, usually heated. Even for champ type plastics, I find a few hours in a warm dip dye is sufficient, whereas star will take very deep in a matter of minutes.

I can't recall ever doing a SC dye on champ actually, but I have done a lot of detergent mix dyes on champ that worked wonderfully.

Ex:
picture.php

All the colors are detergent+dye mix (no acetone or anything else). Black was a dip dye.

Amazing! I guess when I tried a detergent/soap dye I didn't have enough concentration of dye in my mix. It just made my white Star plastic look like a dull off white color disc.

Currently I have my iDye mixed with water in 24-32 oz jars. I suppose the dye+water mix has a much higher concentration of dye than needed for the SC method? I promise I won't post anymore questions on this thread and put it on the correct one after this! lol

I always recommend as much time you can allow in the dye as possible, whether it's a dip dye with heat or not, or shaving cream, or liquid detergent, or any other technique outside of acetone(want to get that off your plastic as quickly as possible). If you're using good vinyl, you won't have any problems leaving it longer than you want to. I know we ALL want to get it done as quickly as possible, but be patient and you will be rewarded!

The disc in your avatar, did you dye the stenciled part first and then covered it up and did the background second? I saw a Kansas City chiefs logo similar in style and was thinking the logo/stencil is done first and then the rest behind it.

Yes, I did the stencil part first, masked it, and then did the background.

Ok, trying to get this thread back on track. Slow in here lately.

Probably my most ambitious disc. Like a puzzle that you only get one chance to put together. Bleeds were disappointing like usual, but it turned out pretty well over all. I left it overnight for the black dip but there were no bleeds at the 1 hour mark, so I probably should have just taken it out then. Super domey Sirius Scorpius didnt help with that.

picture.php

That's a sweet Bender dye. I put this one in an old forum(cool dye combinations). Morbo on a champ Monster.

Attachments

• 20150106_090155.jpg
    20150106_090155.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 44
Ok, trying to get this thread back on track. Slow in here lately.

Probably my most ambitious disc. Like a puzzle that you only get one chance to put together. Bleeds were disappointing like usual, but it turned out pretty well over all. I left it overnight for the black dip but there were no bleeds at the 1 hour mark, so I probably should have just taken it out then. Super domey Sirius Scorpius didnt help with that.

picture.php

First off, I had to look up the Scorpius to see what that was --- have you posted in the "most odd disc you throw" thread yet?

Second, great work! I can only see the one bleed near Bender's face, the rest is truly impressive, especially the city in the background! Great use of color and framing, BRAVO!

I'm currently working on a Robot Devil disc for a friend in Columbia SC who is going for a full Groening bag --- right now he's rocking a Bender SW and a Bart Simpson Zone, these are over a couple years which is so cool to help build a dyed, themed bag over such a long time with one customer :D

6957988334_685e26681e.jpg

9127085066_762d6ebcef.jpg

10904736_10153030814043035_735120054_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.