• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part III)

Noill

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Cont'd from here

I was just trying to copy all those Innova flag spin dyes you see out there since my buddy wanted a 4th of July disc and also wanted that Truth I got in MCO.

Put it on the spinner, laid down a grid of blue and some red stripes of detergent dyes with an eyedropper, and then spun it for 1-2 seconds. I like how the center red line wasn't affected by the spin - gives it a kind of symmetry.

my 2nd batch of dyes

the cthulu design turned out great on my putter (it bled a little and made a really cool effect around the rim) so i did a second on a driver, also did an obligatory bat symbol on a glow disc

Attachments

• 20160716_132559-1.jpg
    20160716_132559-1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 20160716_132116-1.jpg
    20160716_132116-1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 20160716_152413.jpg
    20160716_152413.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 301
Dyed my first Captain America disc over the weekend on a Starlite Roadrunner. The star in the middle turned out good except for where I over cut & a little blue came through. I also had some minor bleeds around where I cut the circles when was dying the blue, but the scarlet red covered them up nicely! The red bled onto the white circles when I was rinsing the disc, this is the first time this has happened. I am going to fill the white circles & star in with silver sharpie. The circles are a little off center & the circle patch I put over the star when dying the red was a little too big & off center so I filled it in with sharpie ( red, then brown, then purple ). color match is almost perfect! Overall I'm happy with my first attempt at a Cap Amer. dye!

Attachments

• DSCF3094.jpg
    DSCF3094.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 273
Tom,

I actually really like the spots that were over-cut on the star. I think it would look pretty killer if one side (rotating clockwise) had a 30-40% over-cut. Little bit of a 3-dimensional thing going.

Good work. :thmbup:

Little off center, little bleeding... But, meh.

Raptor Paddock logo on an RDG Amber Raptor:
e30tXQr.jpg

Pylam Red dye takes CRAZY fast! This was done in a Ziplock, no acetone or other solvent, just water and about 1/12oz of Pylam red for about 30 minutes. It took so intensely that the disc looks almost black if it's not in sunlight. On the one hand, I LOVE that, but it's certainly something to be cautious of! However, I'm not complaining for it costing $12 per 1/4oz.

I dissolved about one quarter of the 1/4oz bottle into 20oz of warm water and got incredible deep, rich color. Now that I know to adjust the time and mixture, I'm mixing the rest up in a Mason jar for re-use and can't wait to see what I can get out of this Pylam.

Here's the Captain America disc I dyed last week with silver sharpie added to the star & white circle. The star I did by hand just eyeing it with back & forth strokes. The circle was done on my turntable, carefully centered & weighted. I had to put it on an album on & raise the needle after it started playing. IMO it looks better in person, though still not perfect. The sharpie wanted to dry up & I had to clean & "restart it" on a piece of paper. Yay or Nay?

Attachments

• DSCF3095.jpg
    DSCF3095.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 147
My gift to the Mrs for her birthday, though I dare not take credit for physically dying it. Props to Niche Market Designs for the great work and the exceptional customer service!