• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The effect of Disc Golf on your "relationship" or lack thereof

Disc golf has had a positive effect on my relationship with my wife.

A few years ago after I first started playing, I got her to come out and join me for a round. She told me she felt silly throwing frisbees at a metal target, but after I told her that she isn't doing anything different than everyone else at the course she got past that pretty quickly.

Disc golf is a good competitive and social outlet for both of us. We're both very competitive people, but while we play together all the time she doesn't feel the need to try and beat me when we're playing golf (and she has beaten me before, actually twice so far :) ). It also gives us a great excuse to get outside and enjoy the weather when it's nice, or bundle up and fight off the cabin fever of wintertime. She's to the point where she has a revo carolina, filled with multiples of the discs she likes to throw - so I know that she has the fever just as bad as I do!

All in all DG has been great for my relationship.

I was alone on Valentines Day because my wife was in Florida playing La Vie En Rose. She won Advanced by a stroke. They drove all thru the night and she got home this morning as I was getting up for work.

My wife and I spent the day together yesterday. I played solo, and she walked with me and cheered me on. We had a good time, and went and had a great dinner afterwards.

I was alone on Valentines Day because my wife was in Florida playing La Vie En Rose. She won Advanced by a stroke. They drove all thru the night and she got home this morning as I was getting up for work.

Yay go wife!

We played a round yesterday than watched a great shorthanded effort from our hockey team (down to 15 skaters) in a 6-3 victory...all in all a damn good Valentines if you ask me!!

My wife would occasionally play a round with me if the weather was nice. This winter she walked several rounds with me over the Christmas holidays in hopes the walking would induce labor before she had to go back to school (she's a school librarian). She couldn't throw, but she caddied for me while I played.

Disc golf is what my gf and I do together, she's almost as hooked as I am. We go on weekend and week long road trips together to disc golf and hike and camp, and we play tournaments together. Of the 172 courses I've played, she's played 171 of them with me and she's still mad about the one I played without her. Short answer: disc golf is definitely a positive for us.

Disc golf is what my gf and I do together, she's almost as hooked as I am. We go on weekend and week long road trips together to disc golf and hike and camp, and we play tournaments together. Of the 172 courses I've played, she's played 171 of them with me and she's still mad about the one I played without her. Short answer: disc golf is definitely a positive for us.

WOW, looks like you are living the dream. Congrats on the find.

how long have you been together? who got who hooked?

WOW, looks like you are living the dream. Congrats on the find.

Definitely true. She also shares my love of hiking and backpacking, so I get to take the kind of vacations I like with someone who enjoys it just as much.

how long have you been together? who got who hooked?

We've been together about 4.5 years. I had played before we were together, but I wasn't at all serious about it until about a year into the relationship. At first it was something I did by myself, but after she came out and tried it a couple times she always wanted to join me, and was often the one who suggested going to play.

When I got back into playing I'd been married for a while. Sweetie was sure I was cheating on her. The fact that I'd quaff a few before comming home didn't help either. When I first took her out to a course and she saw the people who were hanging out there, she thought DG was just an excuse to drink. (AS IF I needed an excuse.) I quit drinking recently. Now she just thinks it's normal nonproductive, time wasting behavior. I agree, but it's cheaper than therapy or fast cars.

I got a basket for Christmas two years ago, a $100 gift cert for local DG store this year. She likes the fact that it doesn't take a bunch of cash, or time to play. I have given up softball for DG. I have given up racing remote control cars for DG, so forth and so on

She has walked some rounds with me, but is also OK with sitting in the car and reading while I play a newly found course on one of many random road trips.

I play every Wednesday night with the boys as a standing appointment that she tries not interfere with (I have to give in once in a while and throw an occasional bone her way by showing her I can miss a wed. night and still survive).

Lastly, if there is a house to clean, she knows that I would just get in the way if I stay home. So I get my to do list early in the AM, get it done and head for one of the 5 courses within a 45 minute dirve and arrive home by 4 or 5 pm for an evening together...

When I got back into playing I'd been married for a while. Sweetie was sure I was cheating on her. The fact that I'd quaff a few before comming home didn't help either. When I first took her out to a course and she saw the people who were hanging out there, she thought DG was just an excuse to drink. (AS IF I needed an excuse.) I quit drinking recently. Now she just thinks it's normal nonproductive, time wasting behavior. I agree, but it's cheaper than therapy or fast cars.

You mean disc golf isn't therapy?!

Damn. I had been making so much progress, too.:(

I'd love to get my wife into the sport. What is the best way to go about it? I know she's open to it, but I don't want to throw her out in the deep snow right off the bat.

...but she's complained that I'm not interested in *her* hobbies. I've since bit the bullet and am now halfway done with knitting a hat.

Latest posts