• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Great 8

Is there any truth to the rumour that this year's great 8 will include a side trip to the famous hole on #8?

Is there any truth to the rumour that this year's great 8 will include a side trip to the famous hole on #8?

I'm looking forward to # 8 at Buckhorn. It's a short downhill shot with a big beautiful OB lake behind the basket. Kinda like down a hole.

Just a week away now.

I truly wish I could be there with you guys. i will be in Texas the weekend of the forth and after and do plan to play a lot.

I'm getting really psyched about the Great 8.

It's been ten years since I've played three of the courses: Valley Springs and the Burlington courses. And I've never played UNC. Playing Buckhorn has always been a treat for me. When I moved from Durham in '96, Valley Springs was only about three years old. I've heard great things about how it's grown and I'm excited about playing there again.

What an adventure! Eight great courses in one day! And a tournament? Whoa - sign me up! Oh yeah, I AM signed up. Alll right. The bucket's getting closer to the fan.

So should I take a couple days off next week to rest, or just keep playing every day?

just saw that there are only 4 groups playing pro. Ya'll have fun in the other divisions. You're gonna have to run and shoot well to have a chance to win advanced or intermediate

A few items about the Great 8...

• I'm bringing DGCR Travel Tag #3 with me, so if you have one to swap bring it and we'll do it in Burlington after we finish.
  • If you're a DGCR regular, like the PA/DE guys, would you please PM me with your real name? I've got Sonny and Tolbert, but I'd like to know any others so that I know who to look for on Sat. I'm one of the guys helping to organize this tournament, so please make sure to say hi. Everyone on the tournament committee is jazzed that there are teams coming from PA, Delaware, VA, and other states. I think I heard NJ and Boston too.
  • You can see the Division that each team is registered for at the Great 8 Divisions google doc.
I can't wait until Saturday! It looks like it'll be about 98-99 degrees, so be prepared!!

just saw that there are only 4 groups playing pro. Ya'll have fun in the other divisions. You're gonna have to run and shoot well to have a chance to win advanced or intermediate

Win?? ROFL! Just to finish this adventure is a big win for me. ;)

Lowe - If you want some competition in Masters (and if it would be allowed), I could probably convince my partner to switch. We're old enough. :p Both of us are really just in it for the good times.

Heck Yes!! The 2 tri-state area teams are pumped! (you heard right Olorin, 1 of the 4 of us lives in NJ)
I'll be sure to give you a bleary eyed hello Saturday morning.

This sounds like a lot of fun! Too bad Illinois is so far away...Good luck to everyone that does manage to play.

Great 8 Results

The results of the Great Heat... err... I mean Great 8... have been posted. Click the hyperlink for Great 8 Results. Make sure to look at the bottom to click on the 2nd worksheet "Winners" too.

A special shout out of congratulations to Sonny and Tolbert who tied for 3rd in their division! Sonny also captured the record for "Oldest Player" at age 55. After 5 courses Sonny & Tim were tied for the lead! They were also 4 ahead of Tolbert & Anthony. Sonny & Tim were in 2nd after the 7th course, Wellspring having the 2nd best Int score there. Unfortunately, on the 8th course (Cedarock) they faded a bit while Tolbert and Anthony turned in the 2nd best Int score, to end in a tie for 3rd place. Pretty cool that DGCR teams did so well. And it was quite an accomplishment for Sonny, playing against guys much younger!

I played Singles so my scores didn't count for awards. I did set the GrandMasters (or really the "Intermediate GrandMasters") record with a blazing 455! (I hope you caught the sarcasm.) That's 18 over par (of 437). Woo hoo! By no means very good, but it's become about my average. At least I've got one "Old guy" record, though.

Olorin,
Sounds like a great event. Sorry I couldn't make it down... instead my brother and I did a much less strenuous 118-hole day of our own, playing the courses in Richmond, VA... we couldn't get the time off from work to make the drive and play the Great 8, but it sounds awesome, and we were out there all day, playing in spirit (even if we didn't get in as many holes as you all did). Hope to make the event sometime in the future.
Congratulations on your old guy record.

And props to the winners -- some of those scores are ridiculous. Even for doubles. The winners were shooting between -12 and -13 average per course, which is pretty impressive.

I'd love to see a similar challenge in some other parts of the country... like an MD challenge with Seneca, Ptap, Rockburn, Druid... 4 courses, 90 holes, but I can promise no pair would be shooting double digits down on most of those courses...

Great idea and well done.

Olorin,
Sounds like a great event. Sorry I couldn't make it down... instead my brother and I did a much less strenuous 118-hole day of our own, playing the courses in Richmond, VA... we couldn't get the time off from work to make the drive and play the Great 8, but it sounds awesome, and we were out there all day, playing in spirit (even if we didn't get in as many holes as you all did). Hope to make the event sometime in the future.
Congratulations on your old guy record.

And props to the winners -- some of those scores are ridiculous. Even for doubles. The winners were shooting between -12 and -13 average per course, which is pretty impressive.

I'd love to see a similar challenge in some other parts of the country... like an MD challenge with Seneca, Ptap, Rockburn, Druid... 4 courses, 90 holes, but I can promise no pair would be shooting double digits down on most of those courses...

Great idea and well done.

Maybe we should put together the Tidewater 110? Start at New Quarter, Newport News, Bennett's Creek, Ace Run, Munden Point, and finish at Bayville? By the time you got to the longer drives you'd need the break anyway!

I regret that I couldn't make it. My 20yr old son had to work.
I'm already thinking about next year...

I regret that I couldn't make it. My 20yr old son had to work.
I'm already thinking about next year...
Bummer! Bring it on down!! Where do you live?

In 2010 there will be some significant changes to the courses played in the venue. That's all I can say for now... so stay tuned... ;)

O, you need to find a course to end with that can have lights set up. Even solar units or a generator thing on a 9'r that can be played for 18.... just a thought.

We're working on the date for the 2010 Great 8. Some changes and surprises are in the works, so stay tuned.

man i wanted to do this tourney, but its the same weekend as the charlotte am championships... bummer

I want in, and hoping the date doesn't occur on the same day as my daughter's dance recital again. I just need a little luck, and some dumb enough to be my partner. Keep us posted.

Saw my buddy Tim at the local monthly today and asked if we're teaming up fot the Great 8 again this year. Count us in! We'll be back. We may be old, but we ain't scared of you kids.