• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

To be honest this was a post simply to get the conversation off of Val and signature disc. It was a BS theory because this is the internet and i wanted to mess around, it was fun while it lasted.

Haha, got me.

So how about those pros switching sponsors?

Is the goal of a business to make money or give everyone warm fuzzy feelings?

Giving people warm fuzzy feelings is business. It's part of the reason that companies hire pros from other companies (note, I'm on topic here, no really), to build a warm fuzzy relationship with their customers. It turns out you can sell garbage to people if they have warm fuzzy feelings about you or your product. Now, go hug your McBeth destroy-o-roc or your Ricky um... Oh yeah, Compass. Perhaps a Val Starfire?

you could argue Legacy is trying to do this, while alienating collectors in the process.

Giving people warm fuzzy feelings is business. It's part of the reason that companies hire pros from other companies (note, I'm on topic here, no really), to build a warm fuzzy relationship with their customers. It turns out you can sell garbage to people if they have warm fuzzy feelings about you or your product. Now, go hug your McBeth destroy-o-roc or your Ricky um... Oh yeah, Compass. Perhaps a Val Starfire?

My question is which of the pros are switching companies because of their plastic?

None of them i'd guess. At least none of the top players that actually are getting paid. They can probably play well with any of the top companies products, so might as well go where they get the best deal/taken the best care of.

The other way around though, believe i heard Uli say on a podcast that he was so pleased with the plastic he's throwing now that he'd probably need an offer like tripple what he's getting now to switch sponsor. That might ofcourse be because of how well he knows and trusts whats in his bag now, and that he wants a major win so much that he's not feeling like spending a year learning new molds before he can manage to challenge mcbeth/wysocki/...

Yea there isn't any money in selling new plastic discs in the same/similar plastic that people are paying $50, $100 and even $1000 for old plastic discs now...:\

Imagine if they found a bin full of that plastic and decided to make a run of Destroyers. Could you imagine the feeding frenzy?...
But people wouldn't be paying $50+ if they were available as a current run. Scarcity is what has driven those prices up so high. Just like most things people would still lament how 'the old ones are still better, etc.' and they would still command the premium prices they do currently.

In one of the "ask Dave D" threads or videos he pretty much squashes the rumor that they can just order up old CE blends (or any custom blends really). He says they basically are at the whims of whatever their suppliers have.

Before this thread follows the Val thread into "time out" for discussing the same points that have rehashed over and over.

Are we done seeing big moves for 2017? Looking at the Aussie Open list, all of those pro's should be stationary by the 26th. At this point will it just be auxiliary sponsorship moves or additions? It will be interesting to see what new brands (big or small) enter the sport like Adidas did last year.

I would venture to guess all of the big moves are said and done. Things like Simon signing on with black ink discs will be the only real movement we see.

It would be great to see more third party external sponsorships in disc golf.

Starting two years ago, Bearded Bros started doing a lot more with disc golf. Clif Bar has done some sponsorships of people and events over the years. Monster does that tourney in Utah. So eyes are on it, one way or the other. I doubt 2017 will be the breakfout year for outside sponsorships but it could be...

I'd like to see shared sponsorships, similar to what Nikko did with MVP/Legacy/Gateway.

Before this thread follows the Val thread into "time out" for discussing the same points that have rehashed over and over.

Are we done seeing big moves for 2017? Looking at the Aussie Open list, all of those pro's should be stationary by the 26th. At this point will it just be auxiliary sponsorship moves or additions? It will be interesting to see what new brands (big or small) enter the sport like Adidas did last year.

Wait! I thought being on topic here was verboten?

Starting two years ago, Bearded Bros started doing a lot more with disc golf. Clif Bar has done some sponsorships of people and events over the years. Monster does that tourney in Utah. So eyes are on it, one way or the other. I doubt 2017 will be the breakfout year for outside sponsorships but it could be...

These side sponsorships have occurred from the start. What would be nice is long term stable ones. I thought Paul's comments about Adidas were interesting.

These side sponsorships have occurred from the start. What would be nice is long term stable ones. I thought Paul's comments about Adidas were interesting.

Nope, not from the start. In the early days and even all the way into the early 2000s they were non existent for players. They are still almost non existent. Its improving, however. Many sponsors will want to offer goods at first to judge the ROI. Its something I see a lot in the fitness industry.

Hopefully more players can get monied sponsorships in order to actually make a living.

Since I started playing in 2012, I have brought in many outside sponsors that had no clue about Disc Golf.

Bite Blocker - Those Skeetos get annoying!

Water Joe - Caffeinated water owned by premium water company, the official water sponsor for the Packers.

ScoreBand - Wrist band scorekeeping watch for golf/tennis, etc.

HoneyStinger - Energy snacks used by Cyclists, was endorsed by Lance Armstrong.

Raw Elements - Organic Sunscreen

I'm not the type of girl that wastes time with merch only sponsorships, just to put that out there.

Since I started playing in 2012, I have brought in many outside sponsors that had no clue about Disc Golf.

Bite Blocker - Those Skeetos get annoying!

Water Joe - Caffeinated water owned by premium water company, the official water sponsor for the Packers.

ScoreBand - Wrist band scorekeeping watch for golf/tennis, etc.

HoneyStinger - Energy snacks used by Cyclists, was endorsed by Lance Armstrong.

Raw Elements - Organic Sunscreen

I'm not the type of girl that wastes time with merch only sponsorships, just to put that out there.

Why do you think they haven't expanded their sponsorships/support to other disc golfers?

Latest posts