• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

"In the final 9" refers to a final nine hole round not that she was in the top nine players. If you are in a final nine, chances are you are in a group of four and therefore in the top four for the tournament.

"In the final 9" refers to a final nine hole round not that she was in the top nine players. If you are in a final nine, chances are you are in a group of four and therefore in the top four for the tournament.

I see what you're saying; the final nine holes. It looked to me like the OP was saying Ragna placed ninth.

Having said that... still, THREE years ago? That's still reaching. We could go back to what Big Jerm did three years ago, or Paige winning a world title some years ago with Prodigy... but they're gone, so what does that mean for Team Prodigy TODAY? I still think Prodigy is behind the eight-ball and getting further behind if they don't step up their game, disc-wise and team-wise.

I don't play Prodigy, so I don't really understand the harshing. It seems to me that they are closer to where I'd expect a company of their age and size to be. Indeed, you can still argue they have more talent than you'd expect. What's more, given the predictions of failure around here, they seem to be solidifying into a more solid base. I'm curious to see how they will do this year.

I don't play Prodigy, so I don't really understand the harshing. It seems to me that they are closer to where I'd expect a company of their age and size to be. Indeed, you can still argue they have more talent than you'd expect. What's more, given the predictions of failure around here, they seem to be solidifying into a more solid base. I'm curious to see how they will do this year.

Their plastic is still awesome. Any Johnny new guy fingering their stuff on the rack will certainly give them a chance regardless of who's sig is on the disc. BTW, I like the dudes that throw Prodigy around here so that's only helping them IMO.

Respectfully disagree. They've got Cat, and IMHO that's about it. Yes, Jerm LEFT Prodigy, Paige Pierce LEFT Prodigy, many others have LEFT Prodigy.

Will? He MAY get it back... or not. Uli is a good player, but IMHO there's too much competition out there, from Paul and Ricky to Nikko and up-and-comers like Simon, Eagle, Drew, etc. We'll see how the Prodigy lineup compares to all these...

Just circling back to this comment because it made me LOL a little bit. Uli is the world's 9th ranked men's player. That's a mere one spot behind Jerm and multiple spots ahead of both Simon and Drew. Cale is top 20, as is Dickerson. And that doesn't even get into Will after a down season, plus Seppo Paju (who is also ranked ahead of Drew).

To say Cat is all Prodigy has left negates the simple facts of the matter. Yes, people left. But they still have numerous contenders.

Just circling back to this comment because it made me LOL a little bit. Uli is the world's 9th ranked men's player. That's a mere one spot behind Jerm and multiple spots ahead of both Simon and Drew. Cale is top 20, as is Dickerson. And that doesn't even get into Will after a down season, plus Seppo Paju (who is also ranked ahead of Drew).

To say Cat is all Prodigy has left negates the simple facts of the matter. Yes, people left. But they still have numerous contenders.

Trolls never let the facts get in the way of a good pot stirring:thmbdown:

Trolls never let the facts get in the way of a good pot stirring:thmbdown:

I don't think he's trolling, in the classical sense that is. The one thing that has become clear in this thread is that posters form allegiances to manufacturers, more so than to players. A player associated with a liked manufacturer is perceived as better (possibly better than they are) and a player associated with a disliked manufacturer is perceived as worse (again, possibly worse than they really are). Posters impacted by such perceptions aren't stiring, they are stating what they believe.

I like to think about pairings. Uli seemed to be getting better step by step through the end of the season. If he continues on that path you have an interesting set of dynamics with Prodigy having a top three FPO and a top six or seven MPO (don't discount Will either). That gives them an up on Innova who's top woman is? Same with Latitude. With PP and Eric, DD has top power, although they need a traveling pro, Zach? Legacy has SH and Steve, but same problem, they need someone on the road. While I don't think it's likely, I'd love to see Val go to Discraft to pair against Nate or MJ. This looks to be an interesting year, team to team and with Dodge's pro tour as a show case it should be fun.

BTW Steve, you can see where I'm going with this. Surely you can come up with a competitive matrix based on top manufacturer male female pairs. Doing that takes some of the power out of Innova and Latitude's hands making a wider pool.

I don't think he's trolling, in the classical sense that is. The one thing that has become clear in this thread is that posters form allegiances to manufacturers, more so than to players. A player associated with a liked manufacturer is perceived as better (possibly better than they are) and a player associated with a disliked manufacturer is perceived as worse (again, possibly worse than they really are).

You nailed this squarely on the head, and it is to me the most illogical and baffling thing about fandom in disc golf...especially considering the amount of mis-information that's out there about each and every manufacturer.

So I'll take it a step further, there's a contingent of fans that form allegiances to perceptions of a manufacturer, regardless of validity. Add some confirmation bias in there to combat any of the new information that may disprove the theories, and it just becomes strange.

I mean, equipment changes happen for PGA pros plenty...maybe I'm just blind to it, but when Jason Day picks up a Nike contract, or Tiger goes with Bridgestone over Titleist for a ball sponsor, I don't see forum meltdowns. I just see people going "Good for ______, go get 'em!"

Cant be bothered to sift through all the blah blah blah to see if this was posted here yet. Adidas is still in the game.

Team Philo: Disc Golf Lessons & Clinics
4 t ·
New season, new journeys, new sponsorships, same great game! Off to Thailand and Australia we go!
Super excited to be on the #adidasoutdoor Grassroots Team for 2017.
Thanks for all the support sponsors friends and fans, gonna be an awesome season of #discgolf! #teaminnova #innovadiscs

You nailed this squarely on the head, and it is to me the most illogical and baffling thing about fandom in disc golf...especially considering the amount of mis-information that's out there about each and every manufacturer.

So I'll take it a step further, there's a contingent of fans that form allegiances to perceptions of a manufacturer, regardless of validity. Add some confirmation bias in there to combat any of the new information that may disprove the theories, and it just becomes strange.

I mean, equipment changes happen for PGA pros plenty...maybe I'm just blind to it, but when Jason Day picks up a Nike contract, or Tiger goes with Bridgestone over Titleist for a ball sponsor, I don't see forum meltdowns. I just see people going "Good for ______, go get 'em!"

Lets venture to off topic land:

That's just the pettiness that is dgcr. A lot of the misinformation about manufacturers starts or is heavily perpetuated here. In my years of playing golf, most of the complaints about discs being inconsistent is really being overly picky, or simply laying a blanket statement over a disc mold or company based on one less than perfect experience. People simply don't know how to identify differences in molds and flight by looking at the disc first. You're too polite saying there's "some confirmation bias" - that's what 90% of the board is here for.

The fanboys are the problem, always have been. The trolls, which abound on these boards, certainly don't help, since they are out to simply be inflammatory or bump discussions off course. The 'my company of choice is better than yours' mindset is silly, especially since the majority of the players on these boards (and everywhere, in fact) are intermediate or lower level players who aren't even sniffing a sponsorship - and don't get me wrong, I'm not getting a sponsorship anytime soon either. Most people on here hate the fact that players games are different, and people prefer different feels and flights.

Typing all of this out makes me miss the DGR boards more and more. Sure, there were favorite molds and confirmation bias, but there were also several voices of reason that were well respected and could shut down poor conversation, trolling, and mob mentality without moving it to the landfill.

On topic:

I was happy to see that Philo posted as being on the adidas grassroots team also! I'm sure there are still a lot of pros out there that would love to be on that team and receive free gear. Maybe that wasn't enough for McBeth, but a lot of people would really appreciate their support and would love to represent that brand in return.

Last edited:
Just to quash any rumors... Truly Unique Disc Golf out of Belton, MO is helping me out out tour this year. I'm glad to be sponsored by a company with world class customer support and ALWAYS FREE SHIPPING.

I know everyone was on pins and needles awaiting that announcement. ;);)

Just to quash any rumors... Truly Unique Disc Golf out of Belton, MO is helping me out out tour this year. I'm glad to be sponsored by a company with world class customer support and ALWAYS FREE SHIPPING.

I know everyone was on pins and needles awaiting that announcement. ;);)

Congrats, man. Good luck on tour! :thmbup:

Typing all of this out makes me miss the DGR boards more and more. Sure, there were favorite molds and confirmation bias, but there were also several voices of reason that were well respected and could shut down poor conversation, trolling, and mob mentality without moving it to the landfill.
Rabble rabble rabble back in my day. Rabble rabble rabble these kids these days. Rabble rabble rabble that grass looks greener. Rabble rabble rabble loving these rose colored goggles.

I think I covered them all.

It isn't impossible to have that here as well...

Trolls have been a part of what is DGCR... but it had a more distinguished lineage and has now fallen from grace... our current trolling devolves into angry conversation... not that this wasn't the case in the past, but it used to have some flair to it and was creative and funny at times... now it's a race to see who can cause the biggest blowup...

oh well, always moving forward... DGCR has always kept my attention (which is why I contribute in the ways I do)

... back to the thread :)