• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

What happens at a big tournament when the other pros are out in the parking lot undercutting the vendor for the event?

Doesn't that matter?

Thank you.

With all due respect to sponsored players, retailers are much more important to manufacturers' bottom lines.

Years ago, a Discraft sponsored local posted online that he would be selling a bunch of his bonus discs for really cheap prices at our Tuesday league...in front of my shop...until I told him he wouldn't.

I also had a very popular manufacturer try to run an event and sell their merchandise at the course across the street from my shop without running it by me or the parks department. I called them out on it and was told they were just trying to "grow the sport." More like grow their business in the name of growing the sport.

When I first started attending big events, I was personally really turned off by those fringe pros who prioritize hustling 15 bucks over evangelizing the game. I'm glad we are getting away from that.

I've been "on tour" and the difference between a sub 1015 rated player surviving is whether he is willing to hustle or not. Does it suck? yep. Do they enjoy it? No. There have been plenty of very talented players who just couldn't win enough to survive and had to go back to a 9-5 and give up. While I hope we continue to get away from this, I don't blame anyone who is doing everything they can to pursue their dream as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

I'd say the reason we are getting away from that is not because payouts have gone up so much, or that non-top pros have decided to act more professional. Its that now there are just so many more big events so that on many weekends instead of 20 top pros at one event they are spread out among 5 A tiers, meaning that the second tier guys get a bigger piece of the pie, or have a shot at winning.

Thank you.

With all due respect to sponsored players, retailers are much more important to manufacturers' bottom lines.

Years ago, a Discraft sponsored local posted online that he would be selling a bunch of his bonus discs for really cheap prices at our Tuesday league...in front of my shop...until I told him he wouldn't.

I also had a very popular manufacturer try to run an event and sell their merchandise at the course across the street from my shop without running it by me or the parks department. I called them out on it and was told they were just trying to "grow the sport." More like grow their business in the name of growing the sport.

your local parks dept gave you a monopoly over all disc sales? you own a private course? Or do you just feel entitled to all local sales because your the local disc guy? lol

Interesting to see his only putter is the Nova. Approaches? Maybe uses a Discmania putter for putts? We need an ITB.

He's throwing a C-P2 as well and putting with P-P2s. Also has MD2s, PD, and run C-FDs in the bag at the moment.

Bonus: He said Geisinger turned him on to the Polaris LS.

your local parks dept gave you a monopoly over all disc sales? you own a private course? Or do you just feel entitled to all local sales because your the local disc guy? lol

Around here, some local guys got shut down by the police for selling at a local course because it was illegal for money to change hands at the park, independent of any vendor's license or permit the individual may have. In that case, you could kinda say the local shop and any other business that sold discs (sporting goods stores, bike shops, head shops , etc) did in fact have a monopoly over all discs sales.

He's throwing a C-P2 as well and putting with P-P2s. Also has MD2s, PD, and run C-FDs in the bag at the moment.

Bonus: He said Geisinger turned him on to the Polaris LS.

Hmm.. I remember when he was with Discraft he putted with Challengers; kinda thought he'd use KC aviars with Innova, but I guess the P2 is similar but beadless:thmbup:

Around here, some local guys got shut down by the police for selling at a local course because it was illegal for money to change hands at the park, independent of any vendor's license or permit the individual may have. In that case, you could kinda say the local shop and any other business that sold discs (sporting goods stores, bike shops, head shops , etc) did in fact have a monopoly over all discs sales.

I believe no state parks in Ohio allow the exchange of money for goods (without a special permit). Most local government parks follow the same rule. Those local businesses also cannot sell inside the parks. Level playing field.

A vendor can buy a Vendors License that is good in any Ohio county. That allows that vendor to sell goods in that county and requires them to collect and remit sales tax on any taxable goods sold.

There is no "kinda" monopoly, you just gotta play by the rules.

Are you telling me that my stacks of old school LS's are rising from the ashes?

The Polaris LS is too much like the leopard. Since the Leopard comes in Star, which I prefer to many Sirius blends, I stick with that disc. The JLS on the other hand, is a slightly more stable Leopard that fades reliably and fights moderate winds. It also comes in a very pliable Sirius blend that I like better than Star.

Give me a break. There's no entitlement. The company was attempting to run an organized event and sell merchandise at the park. Both require permits and the manufacturer was pleading ignorance saying they didn't know permits were required.

For the record, I do not sell at the park. I own a shop across from it. You know, doing business legitimately.

Last edited:
Let's keep this thread focused on pro's changing teams.

Any big changes other than the following:???

Paige : DD (left Prodigy)
Jeremy K : Innova (left Prodigy)

Let's keep this thread focused on pro's changing teams.

Any big changes other than the following:???

Paige : DD (left Prodigy)
Jeremy K : Innova (left Prodigy)

Eveliina Salonen: Innova (left Prodigy Europe)

This is my sneaky call for most underrated move of the year. She goooooooood.

I had heard the scuttlebutt that Discmania was going to bolster their team this year...dont know if thats with European talent, U.S.A. talent or both. Any truth to this rumor?

I had heard the scuttlebutt that Discmania was going to bolster their team this year...dont know if thats with European talent, U.S.A. talent or both. Any truth to this rumor?

I haven't gotten a text from Jussi, so I'm guessing Europe.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't be surprised if he went hard after some of the young guns like IMac, Barela, and the like. The young bombers seem to be their target these days. Not that they could get all of them, especially Barela since he seems intent on being just like Paul.

I haven't gotten a text from Jussi, so I'm guessing Europe.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't be surprised if he went hard after some of the young guns like IMac, Barela, and the like. The young bombers seem to be their target these days. Not that they could get all of them, especially Barela since he seems intent on being just like Paul.

Barela and IMac both on the Innova crew level I believe.