• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I appreciate the feedback and I also realize that I may not ask every question people want answered. Sometimes that might be intentional and sometimes it won't. It will depend on the style of the interview, the setting and the intent. As I said, SmashBoxxTV's Tuesday night podcasts aren't generally known for 'heavy hitting' and I'm not sure that will change.

FWIW I thought I would reach out to Paige for a follow up to this very subject as prompted by this thread. I informed her that people were disappointed about me not digging deeper about her contract or perceived displeasure. Here was her response from a few minutes ago:

"Regarding Terry and SmashBoxx's line of questions from the recent podcast -

I was excited to share my big news on SmashBoxxTV the other night. Terry knows details about my previous situation and I feel he also balances his questions with what I am comfortable sharing. I'm sorry that you want to know more about the past but that's not where my focus is right now and Terry knew that which is probably why he didn't bother asking me about it. #BeDynamic"

- Paige Pierce

Eh, keep using your best judgment. I wouldn't worry about appeasing the entitled.
In fact, what comes to mind is the old adage "always leave them wanting more."

He's using a star rather than champ thunderbird, right? Maybe the star version is still available as a sig disc since mcbeth has the champ version..

Just a tiny pedantic clarification. He won't be getting a signature disc (you don't get those until you win Worlds). He'll get a tour series disc (like the Sexton firebird, KJ Teebird etc.).

Sidenote, how awesome was Jerm on the podcast? So fun to talk to.

I appreciate the feedback and I also realize that I may not ask every question people want answered. Sometimes that might be intentional and sometimes it won't. It will depend on the style of the interview, the setting and the intent. As I said, SmashBoxxTV's Tuesday night podcasts aren't generally known for 'heavy hitting' and I'm not sure that will change.

Totally agree with Terry on this. We're not journalists, we're videographors and commentators. We leave the hard hitting journalist stuff to the pro (Steve Hill).

I think the benefit of having good relationships with the pros, (they're more likely to come on for commentary/podcasts, not hate me when I'm filming) outweighs the benefits of asking those hard hitting / uncomfortable questions that all you chismosos want us to :p

Ambiguous...what? She made it very clear without dishing dirt.
"Countless honors" denied is pretty damn ambiguous.

I mean... I know we all want to white knight for Val but

COME%20ON%20MAN.jpg

I don't think there's anything ambiguous about it. She's a 4X World Champ that didn't have a signature disc until that fourth championship (apparently after she already informed them she was leaving). Meanwhile every MPO world champion Innova has sponsored has gotten a signature disc after just one title, including her brother.

It's not just Val. Des Reading won 3 FPO titles and has never gotten a signature disc, yet her husband got his own signature mold for being the World putting champion. Juliana Korver got two discs for her 5 World titles, probably solely due to Innova having to sweeten her deal to pry her from Discraft in the first place.

It's been a glaring issue for a while. Good for Val to walk away to make her point. This is a loss for Innova.

I know its apples to oranges, but how many sig discs did Discraft give Elaine King?

It is a shame that Val didnt get more recognition for her accomplishments. Whether it be the stigma of the heavily male populated disc golfers dont want to throw a "girls" disc or they just didnt want to give her one is a shame.

Best of luck Val!

It's Innova's job to sell discs. I'm going to guess that there may be something to women's sig discs not selling well. It doesn't affect my opinion at all. A good mold is a good mold but whateva. I can see her point of view. Prodigy has room for her for sure.

It's Innova's job to sell discs. I'm going to guess that there may be something to women's sig discs not selling well. It doesn't affect my opinion at all. A good mold is a good mold but whateva. I can see her point of view. Prodigy has room for her for sure.

Based on speculations about Paige Pierce, I don't think Prodigy is the right fit for a female disc golfer, unless you are #1.

Wow just wow. Did Val just come swinging from the corner. She is truly a champion and deserved better then what she was being given.

I bet she'll still THROW Innova. She's not out shopping for another sponsor, she's just not wishing to be sponsored by them.

I'm sad to read this. :thmbdown: For me, this subtracted more respect points from Innova than what they gained adding Big Jerm.

Way to stand up Val! I wonder what she'll throw. :popcorn:

Just a tiny pedantic clarification. He won't be getting a signature disc (you don't get those until you win Worlds). He'll get a tour series disc (like the Sexton firebird, KJ Teebird etc.).

Oops, my bad. But if Jerm wins worlds this year... :D